AQA A2 HISTORY: The Triumph of Elizabeth, 1547-1603 Watch

High As A Kite
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by katieb1)
if anyone needs help on mid tudor foreign pol just ask hasnt come up yet!
what falls into the category of foreign policy?

somerset
- war in scotland with the battle of pinkie 1547

northumberland
- siege upon boulonge 1550 which he put and end to, singning the treaty of boulogne
- recalled soldiers garrisoned in scotland by somerset, putting an end to that war too.
- collapse of exports 1551, trade of cotton to antwerp lost

Mary
- marriage with philip and its consequences
?

care to add anything else :confused: hope it doesnt turn up... of course you could expand on certain points, bring in religion, the economy, government
-
HampshireDave
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by High As A Kite)

somerset
- war in scotland with the battle of pinkie 1547

northumberland
- siege upon boulonge 1550 which he put and end to, singning the treaty of boulogne
- recalled soldiers garrisoned in scotland by somerset, putting an end to that war too.
- collapse of exports 1551, trade of cotton to antwerp lost

Mary
- marriage with philip and its consequences
?

care to add anything else :confused: hope it doesnt turn up... of course you could expand on certain points, bring in religion, the economy, government
-
The Edward period is a bit bland per se and really you have most of it there.

Now Mary...

£14,000 put into the Navy and 16 more ships commissioned (by Philip no less). "a landmark in English military organisation" Guy
War with France starts in 1557
She loses Calais in 1558

And guess which Treaty this all comes to end with? 1559 Catau-Cambresis in Elizabeth's reign
katieb1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by High As A Kite)

?

-
well, i wrote an essay on the effectiveness and these were my points:

1) Somerset had deficiencies in his military judgement
- he failed to capitalise on the success of pinkie 1547 as he didnt have a broader military strategy [failed to move troops quickly from one place to another]
- garrisons were inefficient + expensive [on one hand, confinement of troops enabled french troops to build up + recovery of scot army, on the other, some were lacked man power due to rebellions + boulogne - complaints by Grey + Wharton were ignored!]

2) Somerset's f.p was a catalyst for domestic pol disaster
- financial impact led to revolts in 1549 [although not main reason]
- debasement [cost of war = £580K, debased £537K] caused inflation
- failure to quickly redeploy troops allowed uprisings to spread
- england couldnt afford the war

3) Treaty of Boulogne was too fast + had bad impact on England
- was drawn up too quickly - Northumb was 'dumping' the problem
- tied england to old enemy [france] while losing prospect of an agreement with Charles V [who cancelled Intercursus Magnus of 1496 = removed trade priv's]
- failed to secure scotland as no conformity that french would remove troops from scotland in exchange for england removal of troops
- england lost credibility; North attempted to mediate between france + Charles but was humiliating

4) Spanish Match catalyst of unsuccessful foreign + repressive domestic policies
- spains influence resulted in exploitation [agree to war but then dumped at Cateau Cambresis]
- spains increased influence over religious pol [caused wyatt - Marian f.p was an external manifestation of her desire to restor cath]
- marriage worsened papal relations when julius III died + anti-spanish pro-french pope paul Iv came in

5) War with France was disaster
- despite INITIAL success [st quentine 1557] intervention provoked attack on calais [troops withdrawn from italy - would have been a main arena for war]
- eng abandoned by spain in 1559 Cambresis [against english interest as france + spain now free to attack]

High As A Kite
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by HampshireDave)
The Edward period is a bit bland per se and really you have most of it there.

Now Mary...

£14,000 put into the Navy and 16 more ships commissioned (by Philip no less). "a landmark in English military organisation" Guy
War with France starts in 1557
She loses Calais in 1558

And guess which Treaty this all comes to end with? 1559 Catau-Cambresis in Elizabeth's reign
oh yes, of course! her naval reforms and getting dragged into a dynastic dispute with the Hapsburgs and Valois which ends with the loss of calais. thanks for the figure too
philosophizingnerd
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by katieb1)
3) Treaty of Boulogne was too fast + had bad impact on England
- was drawn up too quickly - Northumb was 'dumping' the problem
- tied england to old enemy [france] while losing prospect of an agreement with Charles V [who cancelled Intercursus Magnus of 1496 = removed trade priv's]
- failed to secure scotland as no conformity that french would remove troops from scotland in exchange for england removal of troops
- england lost credibility; North attempted to mediate between france + Charles but was humiliating

Im not to sure about your point to do with the Treaty Of Boulogne, from my perspective I thought the treaty provided a lot of money towards the english government -£133,333, furthermore if you consider the crap economic state that the royal finances were left in- the treaty was quite neccessary, plus I can see your point which does discuss the unlikely alliance between Spain and England- but France had a lot of ties in Scotland(marrige, religion), so at this stage it was probably a wiser situation to create an alliance between the french in order to keep your friends close but your "enemies in your pocket".
katieb1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by philosophizingnerd)
Im not to sure about your point to do with the Treaty Of Boulogne, from my perspective I thought the treaty provided a lot of money towards the english government -£133,333, furthermore if you consider the crap economic state that the royal finances were left in- the treaty was quite neccessary, plus I can see your point which does discuss the unlikely alliance between Spain and England- but France had a lot of ties in Scotland(marrige, religion), so at this stage it was probably a wiser situation to create an alliance between the french in order to keep your friends close but your "enemies in your pocket".
Yeap, in my essay i have done a 'however...' bit after each point, but my main argument was that is wasnt good [i know it can easily be argued to benefit england too ]

Anyway, mid tudor fp isnt in the spec so shouldnt worry too much, but your point can be used in social conditions so will take into consid
Prikstera
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The chance of a Mary/Edward question on Foreign Policy coming up tomorrow is literally 1%. There is hardly anything to go by in the AQA syllabus to put a 45 mark question it.

Government came up last year, this year it will be Mary/Edward Religion or Mid-Tudor Crisis.
-aimz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They can't ask about Mid - Tudor foreign policy can they? There's next to nothing about it in my notes apart from the obvious :eek:
philosophizingnerd
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do you think they could ask a question solely reagrding the social issues during 1559-1558?
HampshireDave
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hopefully a Mid-Tudor crisis question (I have my own view on it which I like to argue)

annnnnnnnnnddddddd I wouldn't mind Religion in Elizabeth's reign, in fact I don't really mind what we get.
Prikstera
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by -aimz)
They can't ask about Mid - Tudor foreign policy can they? There's next to nothing about it in my notes apart from the obvious :eek:
No they can't.
Prikstera
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hopefully a Mid-Tudor crisis question (I have my own view on it which I like to argue)

annnnnnnnnnddddddd I wouldn't mind Religion in Elizabeth's reign, in fact I don't really mind what we get.
I envy your position.

When did you start revising?
HampshireDave
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by philosophizingnerd)
Do you think they could ask a question solely reagrding the social issues during 1559-1558?
going back in time?!

I don't think so, social issues are kind of... well they exist in the late 1540s and early 1550s, and don't really crop up again significantly till the 1590s.

I guess a major social issue is the 1596 Swallowfield incident, whereby the Parish set up its own "government" to run the area (in a Puritan/Presbyterian guise). It's Patrick Collinsons example of Monarchial Republicanism.
HampshireDave
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Prikstera)
I envy your position.

When did you start revising?
Erm, well I suppose through the year I worked hard on my essays (spending a long time on them) getting A's in all of them bar one, which was a B, and that was ages ago. So already I was developing some decent knowledge for my essays. I tend to pick up little things and remember dates better than most of my class, but there's two others who can write much better than I can (they do English, sod them!) so I tend to rely on my factual knowledge more than my literary skills.

I believe History as a subject is actually really quite simple, you can never be wrong! My advice is just to get down the basic knowledge of when things happen, what happened and a few quotes to go with that theme (such as French foreign policy). Just do some timelines, with quotes at the bottom, and do a "cover-up" style. You'll learn it very quickly by doing that!
philosophizingnerd
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
going back in time?!

I don't think so, social issues are kind of... well they exist in the late 1540s and early 1550s, and don't really crop up again significantly till the 1590s.

I guess a major social issue is the 1596 Swallowfield incident, whereby the Parish set up its own "government" to run the area (in a Puritan/Presbyterian guise). It's Patrick Collinsons example of Monarchial Republicanism.
Sorry, I meant 59-88.
ashwin230888
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is a possible Q for tommorow;

'Throughout the whole of her reign, Elizabeth I was faced with significant opposition in parliament.' Asses the validity of this view.

What would you guys write?

thanks
High As A Kite
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
although FP may not be in the spec (I dont know myself), you can still refer to it to gain marks for synopsis
HampshireDave
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ashwin230888)
This is a possible Q for tommorow;

'Throughout the whole of her reign, Elizabeth I was faced with significant opposition in parliament.' Asses the validity of this view.

What would you guys write?

thanks
Significant Events:
1559 Settlement - Having to lock up some Bishops to get it passed in the house of Lords
1562 Smallpox - Pressure of Succession
1563 Parliament Pressures her over marriage
1566 Parliament pressure again over it
1572 Admonissions to Parliament

But then there's this huge gap, where pressure comes mainly from Pricy Councillors instead.

And then we come to the Bill & Book of 1584, and its second coming in 1587.
Small gap again
1594 the bad harvests start
1597 Worst harvest of the century, coinciding with Parliament's aggitation over the monopolies, hence a Poor Law being passed
1601 Parliamentary Pressure again on Monopolies, "Golden Speech" to quell it

Interesteing Person - Peter Wentworth gets locked up numerous times, last time in 1593 for arguing over the succession (and dies in the Tower in 1597). Quote "a crude reminder of the realities of Royal Power" A.G.R Smith

Think about policy in the 70s and early 80s, there isn't much parliamentary opposition (oh, maybe the Alencon marriage negotiations could be thrown in 1579).

Some quotes you could use: "parliamentarians... were a waste of an intelligent woman's time" Haigh (at the start mainly)

Later on "the Commons could act as an effective channel for grievances" Penry Williams
and "Royal Councillors were running scared" again by Penry Williams in relation to the monoplies crisis of 1601.

Now come to your own conclusion
James-123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Theres scope for Neale's "Puritan Choir" debate in that question. Use the whig interpretation saying they were gaining influence in decision making which coincided with the rising Gentry. (Formed basis for civil war) Neale focusses on 97-01

Then revisionist Grave/Elton- They were "Standard bearers without an army"
- Parliament kept granting tax apart from at the end of her reign
- The privy council had most of parliament at their control through patronage.

Counter Revisionist Guy- Privy council and the queen drew up the agenda for parliamentary discussion
1 member of the privy council was always present to control them
James-123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Also does anyone know of any debate/views on the different forms of local government because i have nothing!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (124)
17.92%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (72)
10.4%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (119)
17.2%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (101)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (67)
9.68%
How can I be the best version of myself? (209)
30.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed