AQA A2 HISTORY: The Triumph of Elizabeth, 1547-1603 Watch

ashwin230888
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Averagegirl:))
I didn't mention the Puritans.. why would you? The question was whether the Jesuits were a threat or not. They didn't ask if it was the BIGGEST threat nor did they ask for any comparison between the two. Eurgh, annoying if for some reason we had to mention the Puritans
You could say that if we compare the Catholic threat with other problems that Elizabeth faced such as the Puritan threat (which wasn't much of a threat) then the Catholic threat was dangerous (because they had a leader etc which the puritans didn't).

if that makes sense..
joelmole100
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Least none of you wrote about Parliament for the third question! *hangs oneself*
katieb1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Aghhh... i did question 2 + 3.

Question 2 i argued not a threat:
- Effectiveness of authorities [acts + laws etc]
- Divisions within the group
- Other threats more serious [MQS + Spain - also said how these were more organised, unlike missionaries who stuck to pros south]

But then said 'however...' + said how they were well trained + educated at douai, + how they concentrated on gentry, stating how historians do think this was bad, h/e its imporatant for monarch to keep aristocracy on side.

Question 4 didnt go amazingly. I got confused + included parliament as well as P.C [although did mention P.C more, + when i did mention parliament i brought it back e.g men of business] I argued they did serve her:

- use of patronage made them loyal [mentioned parliament by stating new bouroughs whoops]
- kept council small + appointed those who would conflict each other, not her, made an inner circle, queen not present in meetings so duty could be effective

then said however...
-faction bad in end of reign + disobedience
- roy prog infringed [i briefly mentioned cope + wentworth here but then stated how council used parliament to challenge roy prog]

Gah. not what i expected. But considering i was so shocked, i think it went OK for a bad paper.
philosophizingnerd
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by joelmole100)
Least none of you wrote about Parliament for the third question! *hangs oneself*
The 3rd question alone is a reason to hang yourself.
EnVogue
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Averagegirl:))
I didn't mention the Puritans.. why would you? The question was whether the Jesuits were a threat or not. They didn't ask if it was the BIGGEST threat nor did they ask for any comparison between the two. Eurgh, annoying if for some reason we had to mention the Puritans

That's what I thought, but a lot of people went through the catholic threat and te puritan threat...:confused:

Do you remember exactly how they phrased the question :/ I keep trying to remember but can't
philosophizingnerd
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by katieb1)
Aghhh... i did question 2 + 3.

Question 2 i argued not a threat:
- Effectiveness of authorities [acts + laws etc]
- Divisions within the group
- Other threats more serious [MQS + Spain - also said how these were more organised, unlike missionaries who stuck to pros south]

But then said 'however...' + said how they were well trained + educated at douai, + how they concentrated on gentry, stating how historians do think this was bad, h/e its imporatant for monarch to keep aristocracy on side.

Question 4 didnt go amazingly. I got confused + included parliament as well as P.C [although did mention P.C more, + when i did mention parliament i brought it back e.g men of business] I argued they did serve her:

- use of patronage made them loyal [mentioned parliament by stating new bouroughs whoops]
- kept council small + appointed those who would conflict each other, not her, made an inner circle, queen not present in meetings so duty could be effective

then said however...
-faction bad in end of reign + disobedience
- roy prog infringed [i briefly mentioned cope + wentworth here but then stated how council used parliament to challenge roy prog]

Gah. not what i expected. But considering i was so shocked, i think it went OK for a bad paper.
I thought that Peter Wentworth and Anthony Cope were members of parliament and not her ministers....?
joelmole100
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by EnVogue)
That's what I thought, but a lot of people went through the catholic threat and te puritan threat...:confused:

Do you remember exactly how they phrased the question :/ I keep trying to remember but can't
How serious a threat were the Catholic missionary priests and the jesuits to Elizabeth I's position
big-bang-theory
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Lots of people learn essays by wrote on topics and then throw it out paying only loose attention to the essay, they'll have just seen a religious threat question rather than a specific Jesuit question. Which is fine for a B/C answer, but A/A* requires you to specifically lock into the question itself, not parrot an answer you've prepared in advance on religious threats. If the question did not ask for comparisons or explicitly mention puritans it will be wasted time and ink on the part of those who did.
Averagegirl:)
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ashwin230888)
You could say that if we compare the Catholic threat with other problems that Elizabeth faced such as the Puritan threat (which wasn't much of a threat) then the Catholic threat was dangerous (because they had a leader etc which the puritans didn't).

if that makes sense..
Ohhh that would've been a good point. So the Catholic threat was dangerous in comparison to other 'threats'. Sadly I did not do that :rolleyes: Oh well nothing I can do about it now I guess
UnheardSounds
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

It was something like 'How serious a threat to Elizabeth I's position were the Catholic missionary priests and Jesuits?'
High As A Kite
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think we can all conclude: **** you AQA

I'm sure many of you have other exams coming up. time to focus on them and put this paper behind us!

people saying they're wrong should not fret about it.
a)you might be right b)theres nothing you can change
yahyahyahs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by big-bang-theory)
Lots of people learn essays by wrote on topics and then throw it out paying only loose attention to the essay, they'll have just seen a religious threat question rather than a specific Jesuit question. Which is fine for a B/C answer, but A/A* requires you to specifically lock into the question itself, not parrot an answer you've prepared in advance on religious threats. If the question did not ask for comparisons or explicitly mention puritans it will be wasted time and ink on the part of those who did.
Words of wisdom! I hope you're right!
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Oh god I can't remember it! (not a good sign)

Something like

Were the Jesuit and missionary priests a threat to Elizabeth's position? It wasn't though.. If I remember 'Elizabeth's position' was placed further to the left. They definitely mentioned a threat to Elizabeth's position though
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by UnheardSounds)
It was something like 'How serious a threat to Elizabeth I's position were the Catholic missionary priests and Jesuits?'
This
EnVogue
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by joelmole100)
How serious a threat were the Catholic missionary priests and the jesuits to Elizabeth I's position
OK, but it didn't specify a time period right?
UnheardSounds
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nope
yahyahyahs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I generalised the missionary movement, but I did specifically talk about the later years' split.

WHAT DID EVERYONE ELSE WRITE?!
katieb1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by philosophizingnerd)
I thought that Peter Wentworth and Anthony Cope were members of parliament and not her ministers....?
yes, they were! hence the sad face! but it was only briefly
ashwin230888
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
But in order to decide what a threat is you need to look at her other problems and how they compared with the Jesuit one (such as the Puritan threat).

I think if you mentioned it and linked it to the Priests it should be ok?
Black and Yellow
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Damn I mentioned the Northern Rebellion in question 3 and called Northumberland and Westmoreland ministers, would I lose marks for that?

I did mention Leicester's response though with his army from the Midlands.

Seems plausible enough to me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (162)
18.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (86)
9.89%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (145)
16.67%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (125)
14.37%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (84)
9.66%
How can I be the best version of myself? (268)
30.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise