Depression and Breaking Up?? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I've been really down for a couple of months now, it's not the first time I find it comes and goes but this is the first time I've been down while being in a relationship. Until the past week or so I had never properly considered the idea that I could be depressed but I've been looking all over the internet and I've decided that I will seek help somewhere...when I feel ready.

But I just don't feel in love anymore. I don't know whether it's just my negative mood or whether I have actually fallen out of love. I feel bad because he's such a lovely guy and he's really in love with me, but I don't feel like I can cope with a relationship now. It makes me feel stressed and anxious thinking about it, and I think it's making me feel more sad.

1. Should I tell him about my depression (seeing as it's just me thinking this and no diagnosis)?
2. Is it selfish to break up with him because of my mood and stress?
3. How would I break up with him when there is no clear cut reason?
4. I can imagine that he would want to help me through my sadness but just the idea of that seems like hell to me - so how do I put him off that?
5. How do I get help???
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Bump...
syweyn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Talk to him about your problems and see if he can help you cope better. He will probably want to help so dont worry about dragging him down or anything.
superwolf
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You don't say how long you've been with this guy. If this is a long term relationship I think it would be a bad idea to break up while you're depressed, because depression alters your way of thinking and you might regret breaking up with him after, if you recover from your depression and realise you really do love him. I suppose that could also apply if you haven't been together that long either. On the other hand, if being in a relationship is stressing you out and therefore worsening your depression it might be beneficial to end it. But beware of pushing people away, depression can make you do that but it's when you're depressed that you need your friends the most.

At some points in my depression I found it hard to feel anything towards other people, even ones I knew I loved like my family. Depression can really numb you in that way. But it won't last forever, one day you'll feel better and the feelings will return.

This is all written assuming that you are depressed - I seriously recommend you go to a doctor and get a diagnosis. You could tell your boyfriend before or after this, but if you're going to stay together it's important that you tell him. He might have already guessed something's wrong and be worried about you.

If you want to talk some more why not come join us in the depression society.
TheWorldEndsWithYou
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This relationship obviously isn't making you happy. It may be a bit of a stretch to say you're depressed. Though it may be a good idea to talk to someone about it. Don't be so quick to label yourself OK? I'm not saying you're not depressed.

Talk to your partner, maybe there's an issue you're not aware of. If not then your relationship may not be making you happy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (1)
33.33%
Pro-humanity (2)
66.67%

Watched Threads