The Student Room Group
The Rose Bowl, Leeds Beckett University
Leeds Beckett University
Leeds

Who has booked Opal for 2011/12

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm actually considering a veiwing at Opal 1 or 2 now. It occured to me that while nicer, Opal 3 or The Plaza is likely to have a lot of internationals and second years. Even though i am 22, i do want the student experience.

On that subject, are there many 'mature' students there, and if so are they just veiwed like everybody else or segregated?

Anybody know how to book a veiwing there?
The Rose Bowl, Leeds Beckett University
Leeds Beckett University
Leeds
Reply 21
The building works are supposedly due to finish before first years move in in September, according to the facebook page.

Original post by Rakas21

Anybody know how to book a veiwing there?

I think you can view it on an applicant day, you either book those on the Welcome site that you have log in details for. Or maybe somewhere on the main site.
Reply 22
Seeing things like that can be worrying! I've recently paid the deposit for Opal as well.

But if you think about it, the students writing on that page are only really going on there to complain, as it's the Official Opal page. Somebody who loves it there wouldn't go on there just to say how great it is, there's no reason to.
And because nearly every comment is a complaint, it looks bad, but in reality it's the small majority of the 1500 students living there!

It can't be that bad! But then again i'm not the kind to be fussy.

Cll ws, thanks, never thought of it like that, you cheered me up :biggrin:
Just booked and paid my deposit for Opal... relieved to have finally made a decision, bring on Freshers week!
Reply 24
Is this accommodation only for freshers or for a mix of freshers and 2nd/3rd years?

Can you choose to only be put with freshers?
I don't think it's for first years only but I think they try and put all of the first years together?
Reply 26
just booked opal :smile: cant wait
Reply 27
i've just booked opal too! :smile:
doing graphic arts and design
Reply 28
Not to put anyone off who's already booked Opal for 2011/12, but I'd really think twice before doing it. While it may be true the building works are scheduled to finish before the new academic year starts, the staff who run Opal still display shocking disregard for everyone who lives there. Luckily I opted to live in Mill Street, but amongst my friends alone in opal, one's room has been soaked with sewage water thanks to a toilet failure, one's window has been put out by a wooden plank thanks to the building works, one's window has been covered up by a non-transparent 'protective seal' to prevent damage from the work, causing no natural light to enter her room, and one has been stuck in the lift between floors for two hours. To all of these people Opal just seem not to care less, the response to all of them has been to give them an email address they can complain to. All of them have, none of them have received replies.

All in all, even if Opal do sort their stuff out.. why bother, when you could live on the opposite side of the road in concept place for 92 quid instead, whilst getting the benefit of a double bed, nicer ensuite and better quality furnishings?
Reply 29
Are there still Opal rooms left? Are they likely to become fully booked soon?
Reply 30
I've put opal 1/2 down :biggrin:

I really hope I'm with nice people :|
Ive just chosen Opal 1/2 and paid the deposit!
And doing business studies. Woooo freshers! X
Reply 32
I've heard bad things about Opal 3. A good friend of mine who currently lives there does not rate it highly at all. I have to say, I wasn't massively impressed when I looked round it last year. Granted, we are Uni, not Met students, but I imagine the experience is still the same. I haven't heard anything about Opal 1/2 though, so don't necessarily let bad reports of 3 put you off those two.
Reply 33
I've just put my depsoit down for opal 1/2. Can't wait!!!
Reply 34
Alright guy, I'm getting stuck in trying to help the people come to Leeds in 2011/2012 for uni. I've setup a facebook group to try and get the ball rolling answering questions and all sorts so get yourselves added to it and I'll do what I can. Leeds is a great city and I won't forget the first year I spent there. It's coming to an end now and I'm moving into a house, but if you've selected Opal 1 as your accommodation this year you wont be disppointed x

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_150088521723231
Reply 35
Alright guys, amazing choice if you have booked opal. Its easily the best student halls in the city and so near to everything. I lived there this year and have loads of advice on different things and answers to pretty much all the questions i had at this point before i went to uni so if you want to join my pre uni opal/leeds group then add - Tim 'Taking Liberties' Curtis on facebook and I will add you to the group from there enjoy guys x
Reply 36
Alright guy, I'm getting stuck in trying to help the people come to Leeds in 2011/2012 for uni. I've setup a facebook group to try and get the ball rolling answering questions and all sorts so get yourselves added to it and I'll do what I can. Leeds is a great city and I won't forget the first year I spent there. It's coming to an end now and I'm moving into a house, but if you've selected Opal 1 as your accommodation this year you wont be disppointed x

Add - Tim 'Taking Liberties' Curtis on facebook and ill get you added to all the pre freshers groups and provide you with all the information you guys will need.
I've confirmed Opal :smile:
add me on facebook lovely people!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=509898559
:smile:
Reply 38
Just put my deposit down for Opal! Cannot wait! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending