The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Don't pay him, it might get you into a messy situation down the road.

There really isn't much you can do honestly, except to convey the gravity of the situation to him. Try to tell him politely that as each day passes, your chances of admission (marginally) decreases, and that you really need your reference completed ASAP.

Can you get another referee?
Reply 2
other referees aren't really helpful, if you want to change referee they just put you at the bottom of their to do list.. guess i'll just have to settle with my referee.. kick back and have a smoothie, which is what he's probably doing.. watching the days go by and the pigeon flying away with my offer letter.. probably to drop it off in yorkshire or some other farmland

:cool: i'm cool yo
Reply 3
Is your referee a teacher? I'd maybe politely remind him that it really needs to be sent off and ideally you'd like it done by the end of the week.
Reply 4
yeah, i gave in my ucas form before the halfterm in October, i was told it was all going to be done after the half term, when i checked (about a week ago) they hadn't even sent the references, so i went to my tutor last week and told her, my form has just been sent.
Reply 5
yeah, my referee is a teacher. Basically just signed up to extra pay, does nothing.. despite the polite reminders, it's really really unfair to be honest.. the system bites
Reply 6
Maybe try being a bit more firm? Say that it is important and you want it sent of by a certain date, so can you have the reference done by such a such a date.

Don't say is it possible, say i need it by then... etc
Reply 7
get another referee like ur head teacher?? or another teacher or something???
Reply 8
10 days ago, i lied to him.. saying one of the deadlines was 15th of november.. ok i lied, but he didn't take that into consideration.. can't change referees, and with teachers they're not really obliged to do a good job since they don't get paid for it

thanks anyways, basically i have to sit back and take it :frown:
Reply 9
aww sorry well if u choose a nice teacher they'll write good stuff about you
yo_dude
other referees aren't really helpful, if you want to change referee they just put you at the bottom of their to do list.. guess i'll just have to settle with my referee.. kick back and have a smoothie, which is what he's probably doing.. watching the days go by and the pigeon flying away with my offer letter.. probably to drop it off in yorkshire or some other farmland

:cool: i'm cool yo

Im tempted to neg rep you for that.

Yorkshire isnt all farmland. At this stage I would be getting my parents involved.
I thought that about The Darkness's song....Funny thing its called One Way Ticket when actually....its not!!! :biggrin: Very funny!!!
Reply 12
Noxid
At this stage I would be getting my parents involved.

I feel tempted to get my parents involved, but they adviced me it's not the best thing..

negative rep? what?
Reply 13
angel1607
yeah, i gave in my ucas form before the halfterm in October, i was told it was all going to be done after the half term, when i checked (about a week ago) they hadn't even sent the references, so i went to my tutor last week and told her, my form has just been sent.

That's exactly what happened to me! Waited a whole month for references....
Uhh hate depending on other people!
Reply 14
if youre worried about him giving you a bad reference for involving your parents, you need to make sue you get to read the reference before he sends it.

If i were you, I'd get your parents involved, get them to make it clear that you want this done soon, and that you want to read it before the reference is sent off. If its bad, complain!
Reply 15
I had this problem- then went to my deputy head of year who knows me better and requested that he did my reference. he then went and spoke to my form tutor..and 3 days later..it was done!

same cant be said for my peers tho!
x

Latest

Trending

Trending