Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've liked electronica for a while now (stuff like Air, Massive Attack, Faithless, Lemon Jelly and lots of drum n bass aswell) but have never really listened to trance (well except for one George Acosta CD) ...but now I'm getting really into it. I've got some William Orbit, ATB, Darude, Paul van Dyk, Armin van Buuren, Tiesto... what else (lesser known stuff? particular mixes?) should I definitely be listening to? Exploring new genres is fantastic but trance/house seems particularly difficult to get to grips with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syntax)
    I've liked electronica for a while now (stuff like Air, Massive Attack, Faithless, Lemon Jelly and lots of drum n bass aswell) but have never really listened to trance (well except for one George Acosta CD) ...but now I'm getting really into it. I've got some William Orbit, ATB, Darude, Paul van Dyk, Armin van Buuren, Tiesto... what else (lesser known stuff? particular mixes?) should I definitely be listening to? Exploring new genres is fantastic but trance/house seems particularly difficult to get to grips with.
    Aaah!I love trance music! Ian Van Dahl do some trance and I definitely recommend the album Trance Revolutions by Jurgen Vries. I know other trance music too but I can't think of them atm. I might post some more when they come to the front of mind later if you want. Hope that helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syntax)
    Have you got msn? I can send you some good stuff.

Other artists: Rank 1, Solar Stone, Ferry Corsten/System f..etc
    Mixes/Compilation: Check out Tiesto's In search of sunrise series:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...555912-9510334

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm [email protected]

Cheers.. I'll check out Jurgen Vries.. I'm liking what I hear on his website

ReputationRep:
    I remember the old trance stuff :P because I'm so old.

Perfecto has/had great trance artists like Man With No Name and noone should forget Hallucinogen. That guy was everyone's idol back in the day and of course there are plenty of classic trance tracks from the 90s like:
    Cygnus X - The Orange Theme
    Everyone needs that song.

Thomas Heckman - Phosphene/Amphetamine
    Pump Panel - Ego Acid
    Energy 52 - Café Del Mar
    Gouryella - Gouryella
    Storm - Storm
    Sasha - Xpander
    Slacker - Scared
    Paul Van Dyk - For An Angel/Another Way

Those are all awesome and worth listening to. Even though I've committed heresy by mixing commercial trance with classic stuff like Cygnus X.

ReputationRep:
    Would like to add Paul Oakenfold and Marco V to the list of names you should check out even though they are well known. Would definately recommend trying to get hold of some live trance sets. DJ Tiesto @ Energy 2000 is an absolute class set!

ReputationRep:
    Id have to add
    Scott Bond
    Above and Beyond
    Lange
    Agnelli & Nelson *AWESOME*
    and Lee Haslem if you like it a bit more banging

ReputationRep:
    Hey Syntax, which songs did you like in particular? If you want to get hold of some of the songs, you can add me on MSN.
    I have a lot of old Trance compilations back home which I can maybe transfer to my computer. It's old school stuff though :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Danny Rampling's decade of dance.

You may also like edIT, !!!, Soulwax and Funkstrong if you haven't already listened to them. These acts with the exception of Soulwax are more breakbeat tho.

ReputationRep:
    Look on these forums: http://www.tranceaddict.com/forums

Here's a couple of trance tunes Ive made, I try my hand at producing the stuff, I stole the vocals for the first one from Jan Johnston....

Track 1

Track 2

ReputationRep:
    They are both very good tracks i espcially like the second one, very drifty and euphoric, keep it up me liking a lot

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.