Isn't it wierd how... Watch

annoyingorange28
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
People remember terrorist attacks etc more than the japan tsunami for example. In years to come this may be forgotten by people as it's the not the same as a 9/11 or a london bombings? Is it just me or do people remember occurances like these more than japan, or the other tsunami in 2005 I think? In some ways this is unfair to the people who have died but it's just one of them things?

I'm not suggesting people dont care for a second, but some bad occurances are given more publicity than others... like I said in future years this, what is happening now may be forgotten. Do others agree with me on this? please discuss.
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Natural disasters are just that... natural. No one is to blame, no one is at fault, no one is deliberately targeted.

Terrorist atrocities are different - they happen for a reason. There's causality, motive, reasoning, ideology, targeting. Ofc it's given more publicity. If we can place blame on something we will. If it's harm from one person to another; why?

Also, it's hard to feel angry at the planet. It's easy to feel angry at a terrorist, and anger lasts a long time. If my family were killed in a tsunami, I would be sad, but I couldn't blame anyone. Who would I blame... the pacific ocean? If my family were killed by terrorists though, I would hate them. I would be so angry with them. It's the same principle really.
win2kpro
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
Natural disasters are just that... natural. No one is to blame, no one is at fault, no one is deliberately targeted.

Terrorist atrocities are different - they happen for a reason. There's causality, motive, reasoning, ideology, targeting. Ofc it's given more publicity. If we can place blame on something we will. If it's harm from one person to another; why?
Majority blame god for natural disasters. :wink2:
Manitude
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The 2005 tsunami won't be forgotten in along time because firstly of the huge death toll, secondly because so many westerners were killed (thus leading to mass news coverage/donations) and thirdly virtually only people who took an interest in geography knew what a tsunami was and how devastating they can be.

I suspect the current situation in japan will be remembered because of the high death toll in such a developed country and the fact that it was the 5th largest earthquake on record.

People won't forget the recent volcanic eruptions in iceland for a while either because of the massive effect it had on western europe (although to my knowledge nobody died) And also because of the "I hate iceland" guy.
llort
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
And the most annoying part is..... people also forget the London bombings! hurts hurts... being a fat useless American myself, I would like to see the july bombings remembered a bit more.
Jepira4661
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think that those who are directly effected by natural disasters and terrorist attacks will remember them, of course. Those who do not experience them or make them personal will not as much. As time goes by and Japan gets back on its feet, the world will either go back to routine or move on to its next significant events but I don't think anyone will forget that it ever happened.
Kagesou
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Manitude)
The 2005 tsunami won't be forgotten in along time because firstly of the huge death toll, secondly because so many westerners were killed (thus leading to mass news coverage/donations) and thirdly virtually only people who took an interest in geography knew what a tsunami was and how devastating they can be.

I suspect the current situation in japan will be remembered because of the high death toll in such a developed country and the fact that it was the 5th largest earthquake on record.

People won't forget the recent volcanic eruptions in iceland for a while either because of the massive effect it had on western europe (although to my knowledge nobody died) And also because of the "I hate iceland" guy.
It's the 4th worst now after they re-analysed the whole thing

PS: i got rickroll'd
MissFanatical
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Presumably it'll be remembered in Japan far longer than it will be in the West
Stratos
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't like remembering stuff, the history is history and the dead hardly mind.
Manitude
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kagesou)
It's the 4th worst now after they re-analysed the whole thing

PS: i got rickroll'd
Wikipedia says 5th (bad source, I know!)
USGS says 7th (well on their list they've not actually put the latest one up there, but there's nothing between 9.0 and 8.8 so it would be 7th and I'm using the USGS magnitude of 8.9)

I'm inclined to trust the USGS over pretty much every other source on seismic activity as they are pretty much THE authority when it comes to earthquakes and volcanoes.

And :awesome:
Kagesou
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Manitude)
Wikipedia says 5th (bad source, I know!)
USGS says 7th (well on their list they've not actually put the latest one up there, but there's nothing between 9.0 and 8.8 so it would be 7th and I'm using the USGS magnitude of 8.9)

I'm inclined to trust the USGS over pretty much every other source on seismic activity as they are pretty much THE authority when it comes to earthquakes and volcanoes.

And :awesome:
I saw it on yahoo japan, which got their data from the JMA (you can see it if you translate the first sentence on google translate or something)

no idea which ones true, but they first said it was the 5th but then i have no idea

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...00062-jij-soci

8D i thought you would have linked it to something more interesting
Manitude
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kagesou)
I saw it on yahoo japan, which got their data from the JMA (you can see it if you translate the first sentence on google translate or something)

no idea which ones true, but they first said it was the 5th but then i have no idea

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...00062-jij-soci

8D i thought you would have linked it to something more interesting
Well that article is talking more about a range of magnitudes from 8.8 to 9.0 and then they're claiming that it is the top end.
USGS is mostly claiming that it's 8.9
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...01xgp/#details
But in another part of the website they say it's 9.0
I'm guessing it's somewhere between the two.

EDIT: USGS has now upgraded it to 9.0 after a review by a seismologist today.
Either way - one of the largest earthquakes on record.
concubine
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't find this remotely weird.
nark
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is the general lack of attention paid by Westerners to Japan's troubles perhaps the result of Westerners being primarily white, and whites viewing themselves as superior to what they perceive as a primitive species, therefore justifying their actions?
Fusion
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nark)
Is the general lack of attention paid by Westerners to Japan's troubles perhaps the result of Westerners being primarily white, and whites viewing themselves as superior to what they perceive as a primitive species, therefore justifying their actions?
Japan being one of the most xenophobic places on earth :rolleyes:
EsStupido
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm a white Western European male whose links with the USA will be far greater than those of Japan, hence it'll impact me more.

Not a hard concept OP.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (182)
18.86%
No (582)
60.31%
Not really bothered about them (201)
20.83%

Watched Threads