The Student Room Group

What do you plan to do after you graduate?

Due to our the nations current economic climate, jobs are becoming scarce, unemployment is increasing and I get the impression that most university graduate move back in with their parents, unemployed. I for one do not want this, but I can't help wonder whether that will be my inevitable fate. I want to benefit mankind, have a family and serve my country, but without even being about to afford a house until I'm at least 35 in this country, how will my aims be possible. I was looking to travel to Canada/New Zealand in future and settle down there but travelling to a foreign place, by yourself and not knowing a single person is quite frightening.

So, what will you do, continue studying, enter the big bag world? What?

Random question - I'm applying to student finance. How will I be able to pay for student accommodation?
Reply 1
Go straight back to uni for postgrad :awesome:
Original post by Democracy
Go straight back to uni for postgrad :awesome:

For what, masters? PhD? What job do you hope to gain from the further years of study? Will it in Politics?
Celebrate!

Go back to Uni for a postgrad.

Become a solicitor.

Mental breakdown/burn out/mid-life crisis

?
Reply 4
I plan to become a rap artist.
Reply 5
Live on a minimum wage job probably...yay!

Being serious hopefully on a grad scheme or working for my local council (fat chance of that) if not I'll probably end up having to work in a boring office or as an admin assistant at somewhere boring like EDF for a couple years until the economy picks up.

I'm getting pretty interested in the idea of writing history though. Writing long essays and planning my dissertation has made me realise I could write a book if I managed to stop myself getting distracted. So that's probably something I'm going to be doing in my spare time.

Alternatively I'd quite happily up sticks and move to Canada, Australia or New Zealand but their immigration quotas aren't exactly kind to people with non science degrees *grumbles*
I'd love to head to the states or Canada. Really not sure though...
Reply 7
I'm already in the big bad world, not sure were you've been.
Reply 8
I plan to write a book of knitting patterns in collaboration with my sister. Although why I have to get a Russian degree to do that I don't know.
Reply 9
Original post by booraad
I plan to become a rap artist.

Well, good luck with that
I'd like to do a postgraduate at a really good design school, then after that I will probably end up joining the dole queue.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Get pissed
Reply 12
Original post by DesignFreak
I'd like to do a MA at a really good design school abroad, then after that I will probably end up joining the dole queue.

Rock and roll...
join the peace corps. (that'll take up 3 years)

then, either go on to law school or get my masters or PhD (not sure what i want to do yet)

OR

get a job right after the peace corps.
Either do a postgraduate , do a PGCE, or apply for MacDonald's like a lot of people. :cool:
Reply 15
I'm doing a PhD, and would love to work in the US (even though the UK is my home).
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm either moving to Germany straight away to work or I'll be getting a job here and moving out there later on. Might pick up education again in a few years but I just can't deal with anymore right now.
Reply 17
I'm going to take a gap year to work/travel/save for a PGCE.

Then back to uni.
Reply 18
Original post by T-Toe
Well, good luck with that

Thank you. I'm hoping to write and perform 17th century Jacobean rap mixed with Victorian era grime.
Get a SLT job.

Go back to university for a masters.

That's all I can think of for now...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending