Report Thread starter 7 years ago
-----------------------
Xannny
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Did you do OCR?

If so, EVERYONE in AS and A2 Critical Thinking in my college got nothing beyond a D, 80% got Es and Us.

Also the people doing A2, are considered bright and were all predicted at least a B, it seems that many people doing OCR are having problems this year.

The same with Philosophy nothing beyond a C.

Maybe and I believe its likely they screwed up somewhere.

The college has asked for a remark of all papers, as to be fair its a complete and utter joke. I too am pissed off beyond words with these clowns. I mean I did a Critical Thinking exam A2, and I thought I did REALLY REALLY well, but I got a bloody U!!! 24 MARKS! I refuse to believe it.

Good luck mate, and I hope it all goes well for you.

I am still fuming at these jokers.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tazmani)
Hello there,

I'm probably about to sound quite big-headed, but I'm only trying to emphasise the madness of what's happened!

Basically, I always get over 90% in my philosophy exams and practice papers (with OCR). It's my best subject and I'm going on to study it at university. I'm always reading and researching beyond the syllabus... I'm philosophy MAD, so to speak.

However, my result came back from the January exam as an E (Ha ha!). I came out of it feeling certain it had gone well - I did everything I normally do, I made good points in the questions and even brought in background reading. I don't understand how it could have possibly been an E! It's a joke!? (and not a particularly funny one -- at first I loved the irony a little, but love fades.)

I probably sound like I'm being naive, but I genuinely don't see what I did wrong. My teachers are paying for a remark and are buying the paper back to see what they think, but I know it's not likely it will go up by more than a grade or two, if that, as that would make the exam board look bad. *ohh nooo*

I'm so furious I want to sue them, but I know I can't do that realistically... I know when things like this happen you just have to accept that you did something wrong, but I truly did everything I thought I was meant to and am resentful towards OCR for being such poor/harsh markers (or at least the one person who marked my paper).

The same thing's happened to everyone in my group.

I'm just wondering what the likelihood is that it would go up to an A, knowing that it's not likely to be anything we as students have done -- seeing as we all worked hard for it and felt optimistic over how it went.
Has anyone been in a similar situation before? Is anyone having the same problem right now?

Any insight would be helpful!

:eek::confused:

Regards
Are you talking about philosophy of religion? Because I had a similar problem with Ethics- got given an E (40 as well!) despite getting 89 in Philosophy. And I definitley answered the question set and put in lots of information. Saying that I'm not bothering with a remark/resit as I'm on a gap year and not at college anymore, plus I still made it to a uni I want to go to.

If you did take the OCR Philosophy of Religion paper PM me what you put for what question and I'll see if I can spot where you might have lost the marks.
harmonize
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Might be your teachers awful marking. I had a **** teacher, got As and Bs in all of my papers, then got a D in my exam. For my retake this jan, I taught myself and got 90+UMS.

As it happened to everyone in your group, I'd suggest that the teacher is at fault and not the exam board. Not much you can do about it really.

ESPECIALLY if you always get over 90%. If you've been taught the subject right, you are only going to get As in perhaps your last few essays of the year - if not just in the exam. My experiences last year taught me that if you think 'wow, I'm great at this, I get top marks' all through the year, you are probably not.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tazmani)
Yeah I'm on about Philosophy of Religion, I'm taking the Ethics in June (and now most likely the philosophy again too...). That's really bad news, I'm glad you still got in to uni though! I know what you mean, I did everything I normally do... must just be something seriously wrong... maybe they decided to mark them differently this year, but even so they should warn us!
Problem with me is that I have to get As in both philosophy and ethics in order to meet my offers and now I worry I'll do something wrong again when I take them in June.
If you PM me what you put for the questions if you can remember I'll try and see where you went wrong.
Marco Ben
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've heard quite a few stories about OCR this Jan
Personally I had an exam with them with my grade being WAY off what I thought it would be and I just have to really see it to believe it so im paying to get my exam paper back and if I have to, a remark too!
Marco Ben
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1570365
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (295)
26.06%
Yes - they're famous (288)
25.44%