Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am a 1st year undergrad at a top 20 university in the UK, studying English language and literature. At A Level I achieved 3 A*s in English, Psychology and Art.

For my whole life I've been involved in English and Art, and when push came to shove at the end of 6th form I opted for English because I thought that Art was too uncertain a future and might not get me anywhere; I felt like I needed to prove that I was academically clever and so set off to do English.
    Now that the first year of my course is nearly over, I'm really really not enjoying it. I love reading and creating, but English courses are pretty much just about analysing analysing analysing. I find myself sitting there thinking - what the hell is the point of this conversation? Who cares?!?!?
    I also thought that I would be able to continue with artwork at the same time - I'm finding this difficult due to my workload and not being in a creative environment. I want to grow as an artist, not as a doodler.

I really don't know what to do, I feel like I want to drop out and begin on art foundation and then move on to an art degree but I'm finding this decision so difficult because
    - I've nearly completed a year and I am averaging about a low 2.1, so I'm doing fine
    - I've spoken to my parents and whilst they want me to do what makes me happy they are clearly stressed and unhappy about my change of heart
    - I am afraid that the change will be from a safe path to a rocky uncertain career path
    - I go to a respected university
    -- Thanks to the government, by the time I get back to degree level after foundation the university fees will be much higher than they are now.

I have always wanted to be a strong part of the creative process, and feel like my brain is dying right now as all we do is talk about someone elses creation - I know first year is always the most boring but after 7 years of high school I feel like I've grown out of sitting behind a desk and writing essays. But I know a degree is pretty much essential these days.

To do art foundation I would have to move back home from London to Birmingham as I can't afford to otherwise and this feels like a huge step backwards and I'm afraid of what all my friends will think of me. But I haven't particularly loved university life anyway and have always been a home bird.

I feel like I was rushed in to university because it's what everyone does when they're 18 it seems. I ended up at my 3rd choice university doing a course not because it opened any doors for me but because 'it didn't close any'.
    I don't know what I want to do as a career but I want it to be creative - I try to think of what I could do with an English degree that I couldn't with a BFA but I'm hard pushed tbh. People have always said I have a talent for art and I feel like this is wasted, as now I'm just a candidate number on a bit of paper...

Please help, any advice would be greatly appreciated as I feel like I'm drowning in disappointment and failure right now. I've always been academically a great achiever and thought this was meant to be the beginning of everything - instead it feels like everything is crashing and burning around me.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Do whatever makes you happy. If you want to pursue art and are passionate about it, go for it. There's no point sticking with English if you're going to be miserable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigermoth99)
    Do whatever makes you happy. If you want to pursue art and are passionate about it, go for it. There's no point sticking with English if you're going to be miserable.
    Thanks. I see you did English, albeit with creative writing - how much of it was creative for you, versus analytical? Did you enjoy both sides?

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed the mix of modules, discussing Ben Jonson and writing experimental poetry in the same week, for instance, was great. English Literature was my major so a lot of my degree was more analytical than creative but the two subjects were complementary and fed into each other.

ReputationRep:
    What did you decide to do in the end? I can't decide between doing an Art and English degree or an Art Foundation and then a Fine Art degree. Help!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.