Have train prices gone up a lot recently? Watch

cttp_ngaf
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I just want to check that I haven't missed some kind of well-known jump in train fares. For several different journeys, over the last couple of months I've been looking at prices from my city to four others, and they're are all literally ten times what they used to be. Like £200-400 for typical intercity journeys. What's going on?

I'm using www.nationalrail.co.uk
Beska
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Quoting "£200-400" means nothing to us if you don't tell us the original price. A train from Aberdeen to Cornwall I'd expect to be about that price, for example.

Plus, are you using the same conditions? Looking to book the same time in advance, same type of ticket, etc?
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by cttp_ngaf)
I just want to check that I haven't missed some kind of well-known jump in train fares. For several different journeys, over the last couple of months I've been looking at prices from my city to four others, and they're are all literally ten times what they used to be. Like £200-400 for typical intercity journeys. What's going on?

I'm using www.nationalrail.co.uk
There was a higher-than-inflation increase in fares at the beginning of the year, if I recall, but "10 times what they used to be" is a bit unusual. When are we comparing to?
Persephone9
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Try using the find cheapest fairs option. It might mean you're on a slower train though.

And get a 16-25 railcard if you're going to be doing a lot of train journeys.
Delaney
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Get a railcard and book your tickets smartly - in Scotland tickets are cheaper to buy in the ticket office, also if you're not too bothered when you arrive you can get some deals by avoiding peak times.
Lintu93
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think they have, especially on London Underground.

About 5 years ago if I forgot my oyster card it cost me about £0.50 to get to school.

Now it costs £2.00. And that's for a <5 minute journey! And that's only the child fare!
cttp_ngaf
Rep:
?
(Original post by Beska)
Quoting "£200-400" means nothing to us if you don't tell us the original price. A train from Aberdeen to Cornwall I'd expect to be about that price, for example.

Plus, are you using the same conditions? Looking to book the same time in advance, same type of ticket, etc?
I said they're about 10 times what they used to be.

I don't travel often enough to have a clear pattern in what I am trying to book, but I just know that a £50 return ticket used to look very expensive to me, and most trips were £10-£30, but now I can barely see anything for under £100 one way. I'm look 1-2 months in advance at the moment.

I'm talking about journeys between main English cities, like between London, Birmingham, York, Liverpool, Norwich - that sort of thing.
LouisVuitton43
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
in july it cost me four pounds for a single journey into town.... this week it was 6 :|
WelshBluebird
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Are you sure that you just aren't confusing the different ticket types?
Perhaps the tickets you bought beforehand were "advance" fares (which are cheaper, but only available before the day and they limit you to using the specific train you book on)?
cttp_ngaf
Rep:
?
(Original post by WelshBluebird)
Are you sure that you just aren't confusing the different ticket types?
Perhaps the tickets you bought beforehand were "advance" fares (which are cheaper, but only available before the day and they limit you to using the specific train you book on)?

I'm fairly sure I'm finding the cheapest available tickets.

*shrug*, **** it. I'll just stay at home.
Becca-Sarah
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
£200-400?! I can get from Aberdeen to Newark for under a tenner, and that's well over 400 miles...

Try the individual train company's websites instead of using an overall site, book at least a month in advance, use a railcard, and there's usually an option for "cheapest journey" that may take you via a slightly longer route but for less cost.
d123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Where are you going if it's costing you over £200? I'm going home to Birmingham from Glasgow in a couple of weeks for c.£15. If you book early enough, have a railcard and aren't too restricted by time then you can often find decent prices. It can get ridiculously expensive, but I'm sure if you shop around you should be able to save some money.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1618)
79.12%
Leave (427)
20.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise