Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am living in a studio (in France) and I have prolonged my stay for this semester. The owner said he didn't the apartment after all, and I got to extend my stay.
    Now for a few months they have been doing work in the elevator and nearby apartments. The noise is absolutely unbearable. I haven't always noticed, but I have school 3 days a week, and the days I am here around 11-14, the noise is killing me. I am wearing earplugs, but it doesn't help at all. There is no isolation whatsoever, which means I can't even begin to describe how loud the noise is. I can't take a nap, can't study, and I'm going crazy just walking around here.

I'm looking at my contract, but can't find anything regarding noise. Am I in my right to send the owner an email and say I refuse to pay full rent for a living situation like this?

ReputationRep:
    If it's not in the contract then you owe the rent. In any case, something like that is completely out of the owners control so your pretty much stuck with it.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately you need to pay as this building work is out of the owners control so therefore he could not prevent it. It is not his fault elevator work needs to be done, so why put him out of pocket for it?

ReputationRep:
    I have had several days without hot water or without any water at all. The owner lives here usually full time and he knows the building and the manager well, I'd assume he'd know about this kind of long-time work before it happened, in which case I'd want to be alarmed. If I knew, I had probably chosen to move out around christmas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Lollo*)
    I have had several days without hot water or without any water at all. The owner lives here usually full time and he knows the building and the manager well, I'd assume he'd know about this kind of long-time work before it happened, in which case I'd want to be alarmed. If I knew, I had probably chosen to move out around christmas.
    No matter whether he told you or not he has no legal obligation to inform you of any maintenance to parts of the building that is not his property. The lift is the property of the overall building and therefore it is the work manager or building manager that should have informed you.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and regards to the water issue, I don't believe maintenance work to a lift should cut your water off. So that will be a completely different bag of worms in general so you need to go to your water supplier about that.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    My toilet is not functioning either, it won't flush. So I really don't know what is related to what. On top of it the guy who is the "Gardien", i.e. responsible for the building, doesn't seem to like me, so I always put off talking to him

ReputationRep:
    if you dont have running water/flushing toilet, you need to see le responsable and not le gardien!!!! anyway, no i dont think you can get out of paying rent, it's no-one's fault really and in france i imagine this will be met with a massive shrug. if i were you i'd be glad the noise was only 3hrs a day.

ReputationRep:
    Never withhold rent. The law will never be in your favour. You could try taking the landlord to court over breach of contract or something like that, but if you're the one choosing not to pay rent, you're always going to be the bad guy as far as a court are concerned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petitflam)
    if you dont have running water/flushing toilet, you need to see le responsable and not le gardien!!!! anyway, no i dont think you can get out of paying rent, it's no-one's fault really and in france i imagine this will be met with a massive shrug. if i were you i'd be glad the noise was only 3hrs a day.
    I am used to things being ****ty in France, and I barely know anyone French who do the work they are supposed to do. But as I have so much of that at school, it would be nice to have a moment of silence at the very least at home.

I don't know who "le responsable" is in my building! Le gardien was the only one who was mentioned to me as I moved in.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.