Mphil Finance (Cam) and Mfe (Oxford) Making the right choices Watch

Rybo13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi all,

I am first year studying Economics at Durham and have started (I know its early!) to consider possible post-graduate study at either Oxford or Cambridge.

I am just seeking any advice on what decisions I should make throughout my University career to ensure the best chance of entrance onto either course.

I have already started to put together work experience, I have a Spring Week at KPMG Audit and RBS Sales and Trading, and will be working for Corven (A financial consultancy firm/Venture capitalist) in the summer.

Aside from getting the highest marks possible, is there anything you can think of which would enhance my application?

Possibly taking quantitative modules as I am currently on a BA and doing as much Finance as my degree allows (around 4 modules - which 3rd year getting pretty in depth) are my current plans.

Many thanks,

Ryan
Peaches182
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rybo13)
Hi all,

I am first year studying Economics at Durham and have started (I know its early!) to consider possible post-graduate study at either Oxford or Cambridge.

I am just seeking any advice on what decisions I should make throughout my University career to ensure the best chance of entrance onto either course.

I have already started to put together work experience, I have a Spring Week at KPMG Audit and RBS Sales and Trading, and will be working for Corven (A financial consultancy firm/Venture capitalist) in the summer.

Aside from getting the highest marks possible, is there anything you can think of which would enhance my application?

Possibly taking quantitative modules as I am currently on a BA and doing as much Finance as my degree allows (around 4 modules - which 3rd year getting pretty in depth) are my current plans.

Many thanks,

Ryan
You seem to be doing the right things. Since Cambridge require a 1st, make sure you come close to if not top of your class. With around 800 applicants, all with 1st class degrees, probably in finance, you need to stand out. I got a first in 'finance and investment banking' and didnt get in, but I didnt come top of my class due to me being ill during my second year.

Since you've already got some work experience lined up, that demonstrates willingness and commitment.

The biggest thing to go is the GMAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (i dont think im over doing it). The average oxford MFE GMAT is 729. Make things easy for yourself and start doing a little prep noe, and gradually build it up.

I'm not sure about how extra curiculars are viewed, but it cant hurt to join investment clubsm finance societies stuff like that.

I will say, although it is extremely good that you have your career planning in the right direction, dont commit your mind to doing a masters 100%. I say that cos if you get an job offer from a investment bank and turn it down to do your masters, you could miss out as the job market is shocking for any graduate. Since you have an S&T work experience thing, you are going in the right direction, so just keep this up.

PS I will say this thread seems like a bit of a please love me thing, but dont take that in a bad way, so long as your egar
Mr. Roxas
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can't be wrong on either program. Just worry about getting in. I was rejected at both unis but was accepted to several US unis and even got funding.
Allvarnenron
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mr. Roxas)
You can't be wrong on either program. Just worry about getting in. I was rejected at both unis but was accepted to several US unis and even got funding.
Would you mind sharing the profile with us with which u have been rejected???

I am a bit worried about my 710 GMAT ...
Calvin&Hobbes
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Rybo13)
Hi all,

Many thanks,

Ryan
Man... you are a first year, can you just relax and enjoy your life? I find it ridiculous that people now do internships in their first year. I didn't do any for more than a month, and that was in my final year as an undergrad. Spring and summer vacations are for relaxing, not working!
Ilustrius
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mr. Roxas)
Which ones? And how much funding? What if my undergrad is in Engineering? Would be great if you could post some links as well.
chorismos
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Calvin&Hobbes)
Man... you are a first year, can you just relax and enjoy your life? I find it ridiculous that people now do internships in their first year. I didn't do any for more than a month, and that was in my final year as an undergrad. Spring and summer vacations are for relaxing, not working!
Although the OP is talking about university admissions it must be said that employers in competitive fields such as finance do tend to look for relevant work experience obtained during and often even prior to university. I imagine admission boards are looking for candidate serious about pursuing that line of work so check for these things too. It's unfortunate but relaxing throughout spring and summer vacations just isn't the best thing to do if you want to get into lucrative/ high paid work without depending wholly on luck.
Calvin&Hobbes
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chorismos)
Although the OP is talking about university admissions it must be said that employers in competitive fields such as finance do tend to look for relevant work experience obtained during and often even prior to university. I imagine admission boards are looking for candidate serious about pursuing that line of work so check for these things too. It's unfortunate but relaxing throughout spring and summer vacations just isn't the best thing to do if you want to get into lucrative/ high paid work without depending wholly on luck.
Yes, but don't overdo it... just do an internship in your final year if you are going for a masters, or in your second year if you plan to go straight to work. No reason to waste your vacations.
chorismos
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Calvin&Hobbes)
Yes, but don't overdo it... just do an internship in your final year if you are going for a masters, or in your second year if you plan to go straight to work. No reason to waste your vacations.
I think ultimately if it makes the OP feel secure that they gave themselves the best chance that they could then its not a waste. If there are things they'd feel they'd benefit more from during their vacations, then they'll probably do those things instead.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Do you have any savings?