Best Protein Sources Watch

fordfiesta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
As I'm sure many others are, I' trying to bulk up, but without spening too much money. Having low fat and being tasty would also be a benefit.

So basically, what ways do people recommend as cheap sources of protein and which way is cheapest?
Tootles
Badges: 20
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fordfiesta)
As I'm sure many others are, I' trying to bulk up, but without spening too much money. Having low fat and being tasty would also be a benefit.

So basically, what ways do people recommend as cheap sources of protein and which way is cheapest?
Boiled eggs.
cybergrad
Badges: 2
Report 7 years ago
Tuna
11random
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fordfiesta)

Tinned tuna , Tinned sardines - are the cheapest

Turkey, Chicken - decent sources but cost more

Steak - God tier of food for bulking expensive as hell though

On a side note check the reduced section in supermarkets often there will be meat going out of date so it will be a lot cheaper, get it and either cook it on the day or freeze it for a later time
jacobadam
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have seen many peoples were lean and unhealthy. If they have proper protein in body, they could have participated in physical activities.You know an average human being’s body needs about 50 to 60 grams of proteins to function in a proper manner. I would suggest few best protein sources for your health Whey, Fish, Eggs, Dairy Products, Fish eggs, Pork and Poultry.
olibishop
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
apart from all the pbvious one's like chicken, turkey, tuna, eggs, steak, whey, I think milk is one of the best protein sources. It works out at about 2p per gram of protein which is only slightly more expensive than some protein shakes, whereas for example a decent chicken breast at at least £10 p/kg (should be more if it's quality) contains 20% protein thus is 5p per gram of protein. Also, it's easy and quick to consume- no cooking. Has sugar though, so leave mainly for pre/post workout and in the morning.

But overall, whey shakes are the best. They are also quick and convenient, and the best for quick absorbtion. If you buy in bulk, you can get it at 1p per gram of protein. Just add milkshake powder to make it more flavoursome.
Economist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by olibishop)
whereas for example a decent chicken breast at at least £10 p/kg (should be more if it's quality) contains 20% protein thus is 5p per gram of protein
Where do you shop? Unless you're getting that taste the difference or organic rubbish it's about £7-8 per kilo and 30% protein
olibishop
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Economist)
Where do you shop? Unless you're getting that taste the difference or organic rubbish it's about £7-8 per kilo and 30% protein
Haha yes, being a bleeding heart and all that rubbish I do buy free range.

I'm sure there is Tesco value for £7 p/kg but the reality is that it's so pumped full of water/ broth/ chemicals that the actual meat and thus protein content is lower than a quality one. Also, I heard on one of the anti factory farming TV shows that free range actually has more protein because the animals can run around and develop more muscle and they eat more protein from bugs etc in the fields which means more in the meat.

I'm sure it is still cheaper per gram of protein to buy the value meat but it tastes bland and isn't as nutritious. (Plus there's the welfare issue if one has a conscience.)

Although I just went to the wholesalers market because I eat so much. Free range birds at £3 each- it's so much cheaper if you can get to one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (221)
28.01%
No (568)
71.99%

Watched Threads