M5 or S1? Watch

xsanto
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi,

I am studying for edexcel maths and further maths. I so far decided to take M1, M2 , M3, M4 as applied units. Now, i would like to know if it is wise to take S1 next (instead of M5). What would unis think about that? It is probably much easier, and will give me some basic statistics knowledge. However, do i break some sort of "M combo"? Is there a bonus if I take all 5 Mechanics?

P.S. I want to study Physics or Computer Science
0asis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You are ****ing insane doing m1 m2 m3 m4

theres no bonus for combos, do s1 because it is easy
BeatFreak
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
^ I second.
You won't even GO NEAR M5 if you know what's best for you. S1 is a joke - it's that easy. And plus you should have a working knowledge of basic stats if you're doing SO MUCH applied Maths...
ChubbyRain
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by xsanto)
Hi,

I am studying for edexcel maths and further maths. I so far decided to take M1, M2 , M3, M4 as applied units. Now, i would like to know if it is wise to take S1 next (instead of M5). What would unis think about that? It is probably much easier, and will give me some basic statistics knowledge. However, do i break some sort of "M combo"? Is there a bonus if I take all 5 Mechanics?

S1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dumb Economist
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
S1.... without a second thought...
laeof
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do S1.
There's quite a lot of Stats in later computer science so it will come in quite handy....not come across much Mechanics yet but no doubt there will be some...i suppose it depends on modules you take in 3rd year.

It's also a good idea to breathern your knowledge.
disco1000
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The real question is why your not doing S2 & S3? Quantum Mechanics (Physics) is all about integrating probability functions, which comes from the study of statistics. In my oxford physics interview, I was actually asked statistics and no mechanics (whilst that is unusual, I would still argue a basic knowledge or if anything moderate knowledge of statistics is highly relevant)
bl0b
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
C-C-C-C-Combo breaker

DO M5 and be awesome
yokabasha
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Mechanics is very interesting, but since you haven't even taken M1 yet, I don't think taking M5 is a good idea. But definitely take M1-3, interesting maths, see how good you are then decide...
QuantumOverlord
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have done M1 and am Doing M2 and M3 at the moment.

M1 is hardish after you have come straight from GCSE, M2 Is **** easy, M3 seems hard because of all the calculus you have to understand back to front.

Im not doing M4 but apparantly M4 is the hardest maths unit in Edexcel maths!!!!!
M5 is supposed to be a bit easier.

EDIT: S1 is as dull as dishwater!!!! But its also **** easy
nikita_atikin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi,

You mad, brah? :eek:

Okay, Mechanics is REALLY hard! I would stop at M2 if I were you and do S1 and S2 instead (which are a lot easier!). If Edexcel offers Decision, it's probably worth thinking about doing D1/D2 as well, I think it's quite useful for Computer Science anyway, especially during interview time (I'm guessing that you're probably going to want to apply to a top university?), it does prove to be quite useful.

Personally, I think it's important getting a range over maths and further maths when it comes to applied modules just incase you change your mind/ to show that you're quite versatile in your abilities to universities. Others might disagree though. :dontknow:
xsanto
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks a lot for all your info i think i will go for M1 M2 M3 S1 S2
QuantumOverlord
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks a lot for all your info i think i will go for M1 M2 M3 S1 S2
Thats what Im doing. Feel free to ask me about it. Im in my last year. Ive already finished M1,S1,S2 and currently in the middle of M2 and M3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (232)
27.46%
No (613)
72.54%

Watched Threads