Turn on thread page Beta

CRB for experience in schools. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know I need an enhanced CRB check to be able to work in schools but I don't understand how to go about getting one. I looked on the CRB site and still don't really understand how to go about it.

I have been offered places to gain work experience so need to sort it out. But do I have to get the CRB or would they have to for me?

Also one of the schools mentioned a Suffolk county council CRB, does this mean that it would cover me for any schools in that area, or would I need a separate CRB for each school I go to.

These are probably really simple questions but I haven't got a clue where to start with it. Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thursday87)
    I know I need an enhanced CRB check to be able to work in schools but I don't understand how to go about getting one. I looked on the CRB site and still don't really understand how to go about it.

I have been offered places to gain work experience so need to sort it out. But do I have to get the CRB or would they have to for me?

Also one of the schools mentioned a Suffolk county council CRB, does this mean that it would cover me for any schools in that area, or would I need a separate CRB for each school I go to.

These are probably really simple questions but I haven't got a clue where to start with it. Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
    Hi, are you over the age of 18? As if you are under 18 you shouldn't need a CRB check if you are just gaining experience in schools as you should not be left alone at any one time with the pupils.

If not, you could ask the school that has offered you a place for a CRB form as I assume they will have them for their own staff. If they aren't able to provide you with one they most certainly will be able to help you find out where to get one and how to go about it, as they will deal with them regularly with every new member of staff they get.

I don't know about it covering you for more than one school but I do know that generally when you are a qualified teacher/anyone who works with vulnerable adults and/or children, most schools require a new CRB when you move to their employment, particularly if your last CRB was a few years ago. I assume this is so that they can be confident your history is still clear, as anything could have happened between your previous check and your new job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lazylisa)
    Hi, are you over the age of 18? As if you are under 18 you shouldn't need a CRB check if you are just gaining experience in schools as you should not be left alone at any one time with the pupils.
    That depends on the area.

A lot of areas make anyone over 16 (or sometimes even younger) have a CRB check to work with children/vulnerable adults in any capacity. In my local area, I've had one since I was about 13 as I've always done a lot of work with children and my secondary school did work experience from Y7 onwards, but you were only allowed to go into a school if you had a CRB check regardless of your age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    That depends on the area.

A lot of areas make anyone over 16 (or sometimes even younger) have a CRB check to work with children/vulnerable adults in any capacity. In my local area, I've had one since I was about 13 as I've always done a lot of work with children and my secondary school did work experience from Y7 onwards, but you were only allowed to go into a school if you had a CRB check regardless of your age.
    Wow that's interesting, I didn't know that! Generally here unless you're over 18 you don't need one. I've been in a Primary School for over 2 years now volunteering and I haven't had a CRB check, I've even been left alone in a room with a group of children on many occasions which even I'm aware is wrong! I do know from experience though that a lot of schools ask for a CRB check to under 18s and if you point out you're under 18 and/or are only wanting to observe/take part in lessons where a teacher is present, they've no longer required for me to have a CRB So yes I think it must depend on the area and school like you said!

ReputationRep:
    I was once doing a Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools NVQ level 2, and my training provider did my CRB for me, however it did take 8 months to come through so I was asked to work in a Nursery for the mean time but I wasn't happy with this and left it, sad though I would have enjoyed being a Teaching Assistant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Are you sure you even need one? I work in Suffolk and none of our neighbouring schools insist on this for school experience. You can pm me if you would like more information.
    I sent letters to schools to gain experience for when i apply for a PGCE later this year. 2 out of the 3 schools that got back to me have mentioned getting a crb check. But, I don't know if once you get a crb check for Suffolk county council you can then work for any part of it.

I know it takes ages for crb checks to get through so i was hoping to get it sent and sorted as soon as possible so i can start getting into schools.

ReputationRep:
    I study child care at college and i've had the same crb since sept 08. I finish college this May and i have been told you need a new crb for every place you work at

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thursday87)
    I sent letters to schools to gain experience for when i apply for a PGCE later this year. 2 out of the 3 schools that got back to me have mentioned getting a crb check. But, I don't know if once you get a crb check for Suffolk county council you can then work for any part of it.

I know it takes ages for crb checks to get through so i was hoping to get it sent and sorted as soon as possible so i can start getting into schools.
    How long are you going to be spending in schools? I've recently been to 3 different secondary schools, where only one asked to see my CRB and the teacher at one told me it wasn't needed if you're observing for 2 days or less. I don't know how true this is though as I'd never heard about it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    The guidance from the local authority is not to accept a CRB from anywhere else. My wife has three Suffolk County Council CRBs as she is a Governor of two schools and works part-time in the exams office of a third.

As I said before, you probably won't need one anyway. We never ask occasional visitors for a CRB check.
    Well it is working as a voluntary classroom assistant for a few weeks. Or for a couple of days each week spread over a few months.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also in Suffolk and I currently volunteer at two schools. One of them wanted me to have a CRB check even though I'm only there one day a week. The other didn't ask for one but wanted to see proof of identity and address.

The school should do the CRB check for you. I did have one school who were a bit weird about and refused to do it so I never bothered going there.

ReputationRep:
    Rather than a CRB check, (which will be very long winded if you're only going to be there a couple of days a week, or working between different schools), could you not suggest having a list 99 check?

When I was doing the student associates scheme, my CRB still hadnt come back by the time I needed to start, so the school did a list 99check. I'm not sure of the exact terminology or how that works, but they will know about it at the schools I'm sure.

Edit: Did a quick google and found this:
    A List 99 Check is the information held under Section 142 of the Education Act 2002. The list is maintained by the Department for Children Schools and Families (DCSF) and contains the details of those who are considered unsuitable or banned from working with children.

A List 99 Check is not a replacement for a CRB, but is considered to be the absolute minimum a person working with children must have
    Might be of use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissLSA)
    Rather than a CRB check, (which will be very long winded if you're only going to be there a couple of days a week, or working between different schools), could you not suggest having a list 99 check?

When I was doing the student associates scheme, my CRB still hadnt come back by the time I needed to start, so the school did a list 99check. I'm not sure of the exact terminology or how that works, but they will know about it at the schools I'm sure.

Edit: Did a quick google and found this:
    A List 99 Check is the information held under Section 142 of the Education Act 2002. The list is maintained by the Department for Children Schools and Families (DCSF) and contains the details of those who are considered unsuitable or banned from working with children.

A List 99 Check is not a replacement for a CRB, but is considered to be the absolute minimum a person working with children must have
    Might be of use.
    ok, thanks i will look into that!
    Thanks everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I realise the forum tag is re: CRB in school etc but couldn't find a better forum to post..

I'm desperately trying to get more voluntary experience in any secondary schools asap as I am in process of sorting out an Secondary English PGCE starting this september. Due to the nature of my 'day job', working full-time didn't allow me to easily volunteer time in schools etc.
    I had instead volunteered with a local Guide division for a couple of hours after work per week for the last year or so.
    I made the decision to reduce my hours in my day time job in order to give me the best chance at gaining classroom experience; I've been part time for a month now and have been contacting all secondary schools in my area (via email and letters) but have not heard any feedback at all-it's been a couple of weeks now. I did manage to sort out several days classroom experience in November'10 but I'm so keen to get more experience before starting the course. I've attended local teaching fairs through council and put myself 'out there' but I'm just not getting any feedback! :/

If anyone's got any tips or advice, would greatly appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becatha)
    Hi all, I realise the forum tag is re: CRB in school etc but couldn't find a better forum to post..

I'm desperately trying to get more voluntary experience in any secondary schools asap as I am in process of sorting out an Secondary English PGCE starting this september. Due to the nature of my 'day job', working full-time didn't allow me to easily volunteer time in schools etc.
    I had instead volunteered with a local Guide division for a couple of hours after work per week for the last year or so.
    I made the decision to reduce my hours in my day time job in order to give me the best chance at gaining classroom experience; I've been part time for a month now and have been contacting all secondary schools in my area (via email and letters) but have not heard any feedback at all-it's been a couple of weeks now. I did manage to sort out several days classroom experience in November'10 but I'm so keen to get more experience before starting the course. I've attended local teaching fairs through council and put myself 'out there' but I'm just not getting any feedback! :/

If anyone's got any tips or advice, would greatly appreciate it
    How about contacting the school you previously did experience at? I know it's not letting you experience a variety of schools but if they're able to give you more days then it's still experience!

Also I'd say try your old secondary school or any links with schools you may have through younger siblings etc.

If they're not responding to letters or emails, I'd also suggest giving some a phone call and explaining your situation. Whilst mine has always been in primary schools I've often found that ringing up, asking to speak to the head teacher then explaining my situation has had a better result than e-mailing. Simply because it could be passed off as Junk or anything if they receive a lot of mail!

xx

ReputationRep:
    i teach kids and adults at the local community centre, and no1 ever did a check on me, its just me and 20 10 year olds in a room for 3 hours some nights, imagine if i was a pedo, these kids would be funkd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lazylisa)
    How about contacting the school you previously did experience at? I know it's not letting you experience a variety of schools but if they're able to give you more days then it's still experience!

Also I'd say try your old secondary school or any links with schools you may have through younger siblings etc.

If they're not responding to letters or emails, I'd also suggest giving some a phone call and explaining your situation. Whilst mine has always been in primary schools I've often found that ringing up, asking to speak to the head teacher then explaining my situation has had a better result than e-mailing. Simply because it could be passed off as Junk or anything if they receive a lot of mail!

xx
    Hi Lazylisa, thanks for your reply. Indeedy I've contacted the school where I've done my initial classroom obs. and it was also my old school I will again be ringing the schools I've written to and as you say, this may hustle them along into action!
    Fingers crossed...

xx

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.