Manchester or Nottingham - which has the better reputation / prestige? Watch

JJS
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Visited both Manchester and Nottingham universities and like them both but which has the better reputation? Both are about the same level for subject I want to study so I'm more concerned about the universties overall reputation and prestige.

Which is better Manchester or Nottingham? Which one is more highly regarded by employers? Which one do you think / predict will break into the top ten in 5 - 10 years from now?
xxxchrisxxx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Either. Pad your CV with extra curriculars and do well in your exams. That impacts far more on how you are 'regarded' than whether you go to Notts or Mancs.
Wookie42
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JJS)
Which one do you think / predict will break into the top ten in 5 - 10 from now?
Oh I see, so those wise old folk on TSR are also able to predict the future now eh? Notts and Manchester are both very similar in terms of prestige, but even if the gap was bigger I don't know why you'd want to base your university choice solely on that. In my opinion, you should be spending more time looking at which course you prefer, and the individual departments themselves - who cares if your university is awesome as a whole if the department you studied at is shocking (to be extreme).
dignity
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nottingham.
AfghanistanBananistan
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nottingham. It has always ranked better, and traditionally has been harder to get into. It has dropped a fair bit in rep recently, so the gap has closed between them, but a few years back there was definitely a gap in prestige. Having said that, employers wont exactly care which one you go too, so its all academic, and depends if you care what ignorant students/parents think. If you do, then Notts would gain a bit more respect.

Nottingham was more on the Warwick, Bristol, Durham, Edinburgh level until recently, and Manchester a step below on the Leeds, B'ham, Sheffield level. In terms of the future who knows, both are big players in UK education with ambition, struggling to do well in rankings cos of their size and breadth.
braceface
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nottingham.
JJS
Rep:
?
Thanks. Any other comments?
musicapplicant011
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well all i know is that Manchester is highly respected by employers, it does very well in employers ratings in league tables, (for eg. 11th in world on QS world league tables). Nottingham is good uni too but its nickname is Shottingham due to its extremely high level of gun crime..... I say go Manch
JJS
Rep:
?
I'm sitll trying to decide!!!

Any more comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JJS)
Which is better Manchester or Nottingham? Which one is more highly regarded by employers? Which one do you think / predict will break into the top ten in 5 - 10 years from now?
No one here has a crystal ball and we also don't know the criteria league tables will use in 10 years time. As league are just a statistical game then, y'know...

As far as current league tables go, Manchester has suffered a decline in recent years. Despite being a very strong and large research institution, its student satsifaction score is modest. Nottingham has also declined in the league tables

Whether student satisfaction will be used in future tables, or if it will have the same weighting as it currently does, we don't know. As a result it is difficult to predict exactly how either will perform.

However, given that both are Russell Group universities, strong in research and teaching across the faculities, then it's unlikely either will be viewed as being poor. The difference between between the two

MAnchester does well in employment surveys and league tables simply because it is so large. Not because it's necessarily better or that a Manchester graduate

In short, prestige is in the mind of the beholder. Some will say Nottingham. Some will say Manchester. The vast majority of employers, along with most people in the real world, won't care. Of those employers who do place a significanece on university name they will still be unlikely to prefer a graduate of one over the graduate of another. There are far more important things to take into account - work experience, personal qualities, the course you've studied (which will probably be more important than the university) e.t.c. You're the person who gets the job. Not your university.

Choose the uni you actually prefer. Don't be under the mistaken belief that one will raise more eyebrows than the other.
Maker
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Go to Nottingham. Its has lots of gun rime so employers will know the graduates from there are well hard. Manchester is dead peaceful.
xPaperHearts
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I also applied for both and visited each but I firmed Manchester without a second though, I think the university and generally the city itself are amazing and exactly my kinda thing! I would say both pretty similar in terms of reputation, Nottingham tends to be ranked higher on UK league tables, but Manchester seems to be ranked higher on global league tables (due to it being so research intensive). The two university campuses are so different that I would base it more on your personal preference for an enclosed or city campus as I imagine the experiences at both will be extremely different
JJS
Rep:
?
It's so hard because they're both top unis. More comments would be apprecaited. Thanks.
AfghanistanBananistan
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JJS)
It's so hard because they're both top unis. More comments would be apprecaited. Thanks.
If you asked 20 students which one was the better uni, a good 13-14 would say Nottingham. There isn't much difference, but Nottingham does edge it in terms of reputation as it used to be seen as a fair bit better only a few years ago (if you research Nottingham's old rankings and entry standards on wiki, you'll see it was always top ten. Manchester has very rarely been inside the top 15)
Straight up G
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nottingham, definitely. Probably the best student city, along with Newcastle, and it is highly rated by employers. Depends on the course obviously...
JJS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Straight up G)
Nottingham, definitely. Probably the best student city, along with Newcastle, and it is highly rated by employers. Depends on the course obviously...
Thanks for your post mate. You're the first person who I've heard say that Nottingham is a better student city than Manchester!! I've always heard that Manchester along with Leeds (and Newcastle as you said) were the best student cities.

Do you honestly believe Notts is the best student city in the UK? If so, why? Thanks.
Straight up G
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JJS)
Thanks for your post mate. You're the first person who I've heard say that Nottingham is a better student city than Manchester!! I've always heard that Manchester along with Leeds (and Newcastle as you said) were the best student cities.

Do you honestly believe Notts is the best student city in the UK? If so, why? Thanks.
Everything is **** cheap. Its sprawling, bands/artists ALWAYS stop here on their concert tours, there's like 3/4 of every chain shop around here (there's 8 subways in 1 square mile or something), there's shops for all tastes, the student union is great, the campus is great, the people are great. The girls are great. There are always offers/deals at the clubs, you regularly see celebrities performing etc, great sports facilities, great location in terms of the country as well. Lots of parks and idyllic places very close to city centre, which you don't get in Manchester definitely. I live in Nottingham, though I don't go to the uni, I have friends who do (I'm currently year 12, I've lived here since year 4). The students are actually really friendly, from what I know. It's quite awkward, when you're in year 11, to make friends with uni students, but I easily did. I go to Manchester fairly regularly, I don't get the same vibes over there.

Leeds is a great student city as well I guess, for some reason I don't like Manchester that much, but there's probably a little more depth in Manchester, though it will be a bit more expensive. If you were looking for an obscure branch of a brazilian martial art or something, you'd be more likely to find it in Manchester, but if you were looking for cheap booze, more likely to find it in Nottingham.
jblackmoustache
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JJS)

Notts is not full of Mancs.

Just that fact makes it a winner.
Nayberay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Meh I dunno, all I know that they kept repeating at the open day for Manchester is that its ranked quite well internationally.
michael clayton
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nayberay)
Meh I dunno, all I know that they kept repeating at the open day for Manchester is that its ranked quite well internationally.
I felt that too- they seemed to put their international ranking as their 'unique selling point'. I got nothing about their student support system and felt that I'd feel like a needle in a haystack as opposed to being treated as an individual.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (532)
80.24%
Leave (131)
19.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed