Hit a weight plateau Watch

Courtenayyy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
About 9 months ago I cut my calorie intake to around 1500 calories a day and it has dropped and dropped since then. Now I'm at the point where I'll only eat between 800 and 1000 calories a day. I didn't even notice I was doing it (and definitely didnt intend on it!), I just didn't get hungry and felt really ill if i ate more than usual. (I'm a student so eating less has had a good impact on my bank balance, which has been a subconscious incentive I suppose :/)

I've been eating around 1000 calories for at least 3 months, and it has worked. I've lost around 20kg (in 9 months not the 3!). But now I've reached 71kg and seem to be staying here...

Now I know you should never drop below 1200 calories, but I'm terrified that if i start eating more again I'll put weight on because my metabolism has slowed down so much from eating so little for so long. I want to continue losing weight....

Any advice/suggestions?

ps. This only makes it worse but I swim around 2000m twice a week as well.
Chubbiness
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you want to keep losing weight, which is a decision in itself, you only need a defecit of 500 or so calories, otherwise your body will go into starvation mode and the metabolism will slow down massively, causing you to retain fat. Starving yourself isn't going to accomplish anything.
Courtenayyy
Rep:
?
Yeah that's pretty much what I said.
And I genuinely don't feel like I'm starving myself, I just don't get hungry :/
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd say up the calories slightly as 1000 is very low...

Also, are you doing resistance training(weights) as well as losing fat?
If you're not then you'll be losing muscle mass which will slow your metabolism further and then you could end up just skinny fat at the end if you don't lift at the same time...
Courtenayyy
Rep:
?
I agree, it's far too low. I don't know how I didnt realise how bad I'd got at not eating much! Today is my second day of trying to eat 1200 calories...sounds weird but its hard so far :|

No I don't do any sort of weights...What would you suggest?
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Courtenayyy)
I agree, it's far too low. I don't know how I didnt realise how bad I'd got at not eating much! Today is my second day of trying to eat 1200 calories...sounds weird but its hard so far :|

No I don't do any sort of weights...What would you suggest?
You think 1200 is hard, try having to eat 3000+... That is effort.
Although powerlifter on here eats like 8/9k...

Just simple stuff like press/ bench/ squats deadlift

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1445988

Check out that thread first. The op has alots of good info including beginner workouts...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=887324

That thread aslo has good stuff in as well in the OP...

Also, if you ask in either of them you'll get even more answers. But do read the OP before posting a question as it's probably answered already...
Courtenayyy
Rep:
?
I can imagine! :O

Thank you so much!
addylad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Courtenayyy)
I can imagine! :O

Thank you so much!
Eat more and exercise like hell. Dropping your calorie intake so low won't be good for you. :sadnod:

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1283)
79.74%
Leave (326)
20.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise