The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dragonmeister

Original post by dragonmeister
So at that rate, we should overtake them by next week (assuming that the prospect of the Cambridge Open Day doesn't incite them to start posting en masse)

Yeah easily by next week.

Hmm that's definitely possible. But there's Oxford open days too...
Original post by candide
Ahh, but JRR Tolkien was also a Philologist, so that makes it automatically awesome...!!!

(protoworld is even crazier: tik (digit) is finger, aq'wa (aqua) is water etc etc, all 50,000 years ago)

It's mind blowing really :moon:
Original post by punctuation
I hope you enjoy it! :redface: Is anyone else from TSR or anyone you know going to the same open day?

To Merton? I know Sven is, but not anyone else that I know of. I've asked around school as well and I haven't found anyone else...
Ahhh I'm super excited. No school, so I'm spending my morning having a Prospectus Day where I've got all my prospectuses (13 so far) on my bed, my UCAS map, a cup of tea and some Maltesers, ready to go through each course painstakingly to find out if I like it :tongue:
I found out today I'll be staying in Lady Margaret Hall for Uniq :ahee:

It's so pretty

Spoiler

Original post by medbh4805

It's so pretty

Spoiler

Nice one! They don't offer my subject though...
Original post by fluteflute
Nice one! They don't offer my subject though...

Where are you staying? or have you got your letter yet....

Where are you staying? or have you got your letter yet....

No, I'm the week after you, so I think it's another week until i find out.

It's so pretty

Spoiler

Ahh I'm staying at Magdelen for Uniq :smile: it has its own deer park so I'm happy
I've already had to throw out Bath from my choices :cry: I've actually made a spreadsheet with the headings University Name, Times League Table ranking, Location, Prettiness factor, Course rating, Standard offer, Overall rating, Notes. It gets rather heated at times. If any linguists would like to see it, I'd be more than happy to share. However, my interest is in 18th and 19th century literature, so therefore I don't want a course focusing on contemporary Latin American literature or including a compulsory history module on 1930-1990 Germany...ew.

Sigh.
Original post by such_a_lady

I've actually made a spreadsheet with the headings University Name, Times League Table ranking, Location, Prettiness factor, Course rating, Standard offer, Overall rating, Notes. It gets rather heated at times. If any linguists would like to see it, I'd be more than happy to share.

I've made a spreadsheet too, mine contains a few more things though: details from the Unistats website. So I have the average number of UCAS points, percentage in a job 6 months later, perfectage satisfied with the curse and number of students. I also have the driving times in minutes from my house.

From those factors, I've assigned each university a score and sorted them in order. (You can tell I'm a computer scientist) Oxford comes out on top!
Original post by fluteflute
I've made a spreadsheet too, mine contains a few more things though: details from the Unistats website. So I have the average number of UCAS points, percentage in a job 6 months later, perfectage satisfied with the curse and number of students. I also have the driving times in minutes from my house.

From those factors, I've assigned each university a score and sorted them in order. (You can tell I'm a computer scientist) Oxford comes out on top!

Ah...you can tell I'm an Arts student that I've included a Prettiness Factor :lol: I've got 15 universities on there, and I only want to go to three :frown: That was really depressing...

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AswtVZCr0waodFRNOEJzNnRuTHVtYzk4ZFE1SmY3ZVE&hl=en_US

if anyone wants to read my crazy notes :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Oh and sorry for the double post, but is it just me, or are tons of the applicants on the Cambridge thread going for something like Maths or Engineering?! I swear they all are, read the latest few pages and everyone's talking about Core 3 and FP1...very mathsy bunch over there...I guess we're conforming to our stereotypes with Maths and Engineering over there and linguistics and German discussions over here :tongue:
I've already had to throw out Bath from my choices :cry: I've actually made a spreadsheet with the headings University Name, Times League Table ranking, Location, Prettiness factor, Course rating, Standard offer, Overall rating, Notes. It gets rather heated at times. If any linguists would like to see it, I'd be more than happy to share. However, my interest is in 18th and 19th century literature, so therefore I don't want a course focusing on contemporary Latin American literature or including a compulsory history module on 1930-1990 Germany...ew.

Sigh.

Does Bath have a kind of middle-of-nowhere feel?
Original post by dnumberwang
Does Bath have a kind of middle-of-nowhere feel?

I'm not sure, I've never been there, but I suspect so! Everyone tells me that the town is beautiful so I might do my Masters in Interpreting and Translation there...
I'm not sure, I've never been there, but I suspect so! Everyone tells me that the town is beautiful so I might do my Masters in Interpreting and Translation there...

It's supposedly a good uni for maths but the campus is on the edge of the town and surrounded by fields. The town does look nice on Google Maps though
Reply 2016
Oh and sorry for the double post, but is it just me, or are tons of the applicants on the Cambridge thread going for something like Maths or Engineering?! I swear they all are, read the latest few pages and everyone's talking about Core 3 and FP1...very mathsy bunch over there...I guess we're conforming to our stereotypes with Maths and Engineering over there and linguistics and German discussions over here :tongue:

I must be in the wrong place. :biggrin:

I've taken this day off as an opportunity to tidy up a bit (read: be able to see some desk) and get the last 5 prospectuses I'm missing off my 'potential uni' list. Then expand further on my uni spreadsheet, after seeing what you lot are all doing.

Also my Amazon order arrived a couple of hours ago, with the UCAS applying to uni guide thing, which was mostly for my dad to read & "Introduction to Algorithms", which looks like it could make for some easy summer reading at 1250 pages.
Original post by tom-m
I must be in the wrong place. :biggrin:

I've taken this day off as an opportunity to tidy up a bit (read: be able to see some desk) and get the last 5 prospectuses I'm missing off my 'potential uni' list. Then expand further on my uni spreadsheet, after seeing what you lot are all doing.

Also my Amazon order arrived a couple of hours ago, with the UCAS applying to uni guide thing, which was mostly for my dad to read & "Introduction to Algorithms", which looks like it could make for some easy summer reading at 1250 pages.

Wow. Just wow.

Here's my CS Uni spreadsheet (well with a few more personal notes taken out...): https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Asg7Ze9sc7PfdG9oMUJ1c0VIM1AtSVM2TTJScnBESkE&hl=en_GB&authkey=CIzop9kJ

My spreadsheet of Oxford colleges is probably fairly dull because it only has the 13 CS colleges, so I won't bother posting that unless anyone asks...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2019
Wow. Just wow.

I have the same feeling reading you lot talk about the foreign texts you've read. My worst nightmare. :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending