The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by desy.kris

why can't I rep this post??? TSR is so weird! but anyway, thanks for sharing!!! I'm downloading all the videos tonight and will watch them tomorrow lol :P

They're sound files rather than video :smile:
Reply 2641
Original post by fluteflute
For anyone who didn't know, then Oxford have a series of twelve short (< 10 minute) "podcasts" about various aspects of the application process.

I just listened to one on Personal Statements which was quite handy.

More details: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/finding_out_more/podcasts/

Cheers man, the one on PSes was pretty useful, recognised the mathmo from the open day. :smile:

Seeing as I'm no longer going out tonight, I think I'll take a crack at my PS now.
Original post by tom-m

Original post by tom-m
Cheers man, the one on PSes was pretty useful, recognised the mathmo from the open day. :smile:

Seeing as I'm no longer going out tonight, I think I'll take a crack at my PS now.

They seem to be saying that the PS isn't as key to an Oxford application compared to other universities that don't get the chance to interview candidates.

The thing that particularly counts for getting an interview seems to be the admissions test (for subjects that have them).
Just a warning to all you lovely TSR people: I've "invited" the people going to the Oxford summer schools to come join the 2012 applicants group.
Original post by such_a_lady
Guys! I feel such a sense of achievement!! Not only did we register for UCAS today and fill out pretty much everything, but I finished my Personal Statement!!!!!! Obviously it's not the FINAL final version, I'm sending it to a gazillion teachers and subjecting it to the critical eyes of the TSR team, but still! It's still done, completely written without any gaps! And, guess what- 47 lines and 3999 characters :tongue:

So, who else heard the Oxbridge story today? Does anyone here actually go to any of the schools mentioned?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-14069516

Well done, we haven't yet been given a login, and continuing exams delayed and distracted me from PS-ing, although the holidays should give me the time to do some work.

I don't quite go to Hills Road, but I know quite a few people there who used to go to my school - my mother invigilates there most years, and this year she was invigilating a group of 3 clash candidates, all of whom had Oxbridge offers - it's a really good place (especially given the sheer numbers in the college)
They're sound files rather than video :smile:

oh! my bad :P didn't notice that!

I wish they were videos though -_-

good to hear that the PS isn't as important! I feel less worried that I'm not going to discuss any book in my PS.
They seem to be saying that the PS isn't as key to an Oxford application compared to other universities that don't get the chance to interview candidates.

The thing that particularly counts for getting an interview seems to be the admissions test (for subjects that have them).

That's what I was told at the Open Day actually! And it does make sense. So a good TSA is important. *off to buy some Thinking Skills books* :biggrin:
Original post by nightmare91
That's what I was told at the Open Day actually! And it does make sense. So a good TSA is important. *off to buy some Thinking Skills books* :biggrin:

Yes, a good TSA is vital to being shortlisted. :smile: It's listed exactly on the website.

YES DO! Also buy "Critical thinking: a practical introduction" by Anne Thomson. I have it now and it's very helpful!

My Thinking Skills has yet to arrive, but I eagerly await it! :biggrin:
Reply 2648

Yeah, that's what I understood as well from talking to the Maths/CS admissions tutors when I went to the uni. I think the general thing was that (approximately) the top third get an interview with their place to throw away, the middle third get an interview where they have to earn their place, and the bottom third aren't invited to interview.

My further maths teacher has told me he'll go over the previous MAT tests I've done so far during our lunch breaks next week, plus we had a little potential Oxford applicants meeting at school today. There's 6 of us looking to apply which I gather is higher than usual, and we're pretty heavily biased towards maths courses (E+M, Chemistry, Maths, CS, Maths and CS & CS and Philo).

Also, I think that my EPQ project got approved today, which I'm hoping I'll be able to talk about at length in any potential interview.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by punctuation
Yes, a good TSA is vital to being shortlisted. :smile: It's listed exactly on the website.

YES DO! Also buy "Critical thinking: a practical introduction" by Anne Thomson. I have it now and it's very helpful!

My Thinking Skills has yet to arrive, but I eagerly await it! :biggrin:

Nice nice, I think I'm going to order those tonight so I'll have them next week. How much time are you going to spend on practising for the TSA? Do you like read in this book a little bit everyday or are you planning on spending one 'power week' to get it all done? :biggrin:
Original post by nightmare91
Nice nice, I think I'm going to order those tonight so I'll have them next week. How much time are you going to spend on practising for the TSA? Do you like read in this book a little bit everyday or are you planning on spending one 'power week' to get it all done? :biggrin:

Yay! Well so far I've done 1 1/2 specimen papers, plus the short one on the Cambridge site. I've read the book the day it came in the mail and a few days after - but now since I have my summer course I'm reading my philosophy books instead. :smile: So after summer school and my trip I'll probably finish the books, then do the rest of the spec papers then. :biggrin:

You?
Original post by tom-m
(approximately) the top third get an interview with their place to throw away
Explain that for me?

If you get in the top 3rd of the test then you'll probably get an offer? Or if you get in the top 3rd of the test you'll probably get an interview?

[I assume the latter]
Reply 2652
Explain that for me?

If you get in the top 3rd of the test then you'll probably get an offer? Or if you get in the top 3rd of the test you'll probably get an interview?

[I assume the latter]

From my understanding it was that around the top third (or slightly less) get an interview with a view to offering them a place. My dad said it was mentioned in the parents section of the open day so, to be fair, it could be him recalling it incorrectly.
Yay! Well so far I've done 1 1/2 specimen papers, plus the short one on the Cambridge site. I've read the book the day it came in the mail and a few days after - but now since I have my summer course I'm reading my philosophy books instead. :smile: So after summer school and my trip I'll probably finish the books, then do the rest of the spec papers then. :biggrin:

You?

Sounds great :biggrin: Well, first I want to finish my PS which I will next week hopefully (still have to finish one book of Paul Krugman about Depression Economics :smile: ). Then I will start looking at the thinking skills books. I think I'll read a little bit everyday that always makes it easier. I still have to study for A-Level Maths since I will have to take the exams in January as a private candidate (I do have Maths at school but Oxford says my chances will increase if I also do A-Level Maths and if Oxford says it, it's gotta be done!!! :biggrin:.). So I will try to balance all of that and do a bit of each everyday :smile:
Original post by tom-m
My further maths teacher has told me he'll go over the previous MAT tests I've done so far during our lunch breaks next week, plus we had a little potential Oxford applicants meeting at school today. There's 6 of us looking to apply which I gather is higher than usual, and we're pretty heavily biased towards maths courses (E+M, Chemistry, Maths, CS, Maths and CS & CS and Philo).

Also, I think that my EPQ project got approved today, which I'm hoping I'll be able to talk about at length in any potential interview.
Yeah, I'm definitely going to spend some time going through past MAT papers. Don't want to start too early and finish them all too soon though :tongue:

What's your EPQ about?
Original post by tom-m
From my understanding it was that around the top third (or slightly less) get an interview with a view to offering them a place. My dad said it was mentioned in the parents section of the open day so, to be fair, it could be him recalling it incorrectly.

Oh, I see what you mean.

That makes sense though.

For reference, here's a link to feedback someone got on why they were rejected (includes TSA score among other factors)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29563314&highlight=st%20john's
Original post by candide
Well, its like any art - you have to do original, counter-intuitive things to make it interesting for you to do.

I like doing naturalistic languages, which means lost of irregularities and bizarre constructions. If I wanna be uber-logical, I can just write code.

Ooh, well whatever keeps you motivated! :biggrin: oh... code... doesn't sound like the most fun :s-smilie: haha

trying to balance UCAS shizz / UKCAT shizz / A2 work (especially being i've missed 2 weeks) / French / further reading / as well as my excessive procrastination, tv watching, and going into town isn't proving the easiest of things ¬¬ i'm trying to decide which is my biggest priority but i think i've just settled on none of them :redface:
Reply 2657
Yeah, I'm definitely going to spend some time going through past MAT papers. Don't want to start too early and finish them all too soon though :tongue:

What's your EPQ about?

Yeah, I'm thinking we'll probably go through 4, I've more or less finished 3 so far.

My EPQ title is something along the lines of "To what extent can the algorithms developed in Topic Detection & Tracking research be applied to news available online". I think I probably wrote it incorrectly in the project proposal though, I'll have to check on Monday.
Oh, I see what you mean.

That makes sense though.

For reference, here's a link to feedback someone got on why they were rejected (includes TSA score among other factors)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29563314&highlight=st%20john's

What a depressing thread :frown: Oh I hope none of us will have to post their feedback in the 2012 Oxbridge rejection thread..
ffs Worcester is annoyingly popular. My friend went to Oxford on wednesday and he's decided on Worcester too >.< It's for a very different subject though, so I'm sure it's fine

Original post by roseroserose.
Worcester - one of the prettiest things I've ever seen. The fellows were very keen to emphasis how 'balanced' the college was (ie do well in Results tables, but still good with sports etc). nice people showed me around, I got lost and wandered into a chemistry session rather than history, got laughed out :P

I wandered around Balliol which seemed lovely and big, Jesus gave really nice course info and nicely located. Brasenose gave me lots of freebies :biggrin: and I think that's where there is a bit of building work going on?

Trinity looked beautiful but didn't go in much as they don't offer my course. I saw Wadham and Hertford but I can't even remember them. Everything was ridiculously pretty though, I'd be delighted to get accepted into any of them.

got kicked out of st johns for not booking haha, all I wanted was to wander :frown:

Cheers :smile: Yeah, the gardens are absolutely huge. Did you see what the accommodation was like at Worcester?

btw, did anyone make a Facebook group for Oxford 2012 Applicants? I thought it would be cool to have! if there hadn't been any, would someone make it? :P

BRB STALKING YOU ALL

WHAT! You went to Cambridge?! How dare you show your face here after that...

Haha joking. :tongue: That's odd though, as Cambridge is usually the one that's more 'posh' - at least, that's how it's perceived. As you said, you didn't visit the colleges - just like Oxford I'm sure Cambridge has very nice and not-nice colleges. Or at least college applicants.

By the way, we have a Facebook group now! Do join us: https://www.facebook.com/groups/oxford2012entry

Oxford definitely seemed more full of southerners to me than Cambridge. Nothing wrong with that, even though I'm from Manchester and I have a horrible Mancunian accent

Psh! :rolleyes: Wizard's chess is amazing!

Oh and I hope... wherever I end up... they have a Dungeons & Dragons set. I've always wanted to play that game with my friends but no one I know personally has a set. At least, no one that wants to lend it out. :frown: So I've never played it! Ever!

I know, I'm an utter failure as a nerd. :cry:

:rofl: We videoed some people I know playing it, it's ridiculously nerdy
D&D games on the PC like Neverwinter nights are ok, but LARPing is quite weird and I would laugh at you if you did it tbh :smile:

Yeah. Since the physics teacher is really bad at my school there are *A LOT* of people at my school taking physics this semester. Then they're taking the rest of... okay this sounds silly but we call it 'the Asian 6-pack' of Chem, Physics, Bio, Advanced Functions, Calculus and Vectors, and Data Management (Statistics)... then the required course of English. The last spot they either take a spare (free period = less coursework = less stress) or they take something they actually like.

We have the "asian subjects" at my school too: Chemistry, Biology and Economics/Business Studies, plus another subject, usually Maths. So they can do the standard Asian subjects of either Medicine/Dentistry/Pharmacy or Accounting and Finance.

By the way, in the UK "asian" means South Asian (brown) unlike over there where asian means East Asian (yellow)

Original post by Ocassus
Tremendous open day today, I have fallen in love with Trinity.

I felt rather self conscious wandering around in my suit though. :L

future prime minister tbh

Latest

Trending

Trending