The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by manic_fuzz
£20?!
I swear here the library fines are something like 20-50p a day for adults, and 5p a day for children, or something ridiculous like that? :confused:

I went to self-service and so did not pay anything :tongue: I grabbed my sister and told her to flee :tongue:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JULIE :biggrin:
Reply 3721
Well, I think now I have my maths papers sorted out for holiday (although I doubt I'll do any of them, I want to re-read Asimov's Foundation series again & eat too many Canarian potatoes), I'm ready for a week in Fuerteventura.

Also, you guys talk too much. I have ten pages to catch up on.
Original post by tom-m
Also, you guys talk too much. I have ten pages to catch up on.

:ninja: Sorry?

Original post by such_a_lady
I went to self-service and so did not pay anything :tongue: I grabbed my sister and told her to flee :tongue:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JULIE :biggrin:

Original post by such_a_lady

Oh you are a sly one! :ninja:
Original post by SebCross
Well there's the rub. I haven't yet made up my mind whether to apply to Cam' or Ox'! I'm born and bred in Oxford, you see, so in one sense I love the idea of branching out to Cambridge and discovering a whole new city, but on the other (OF COURSE) I can't betray my roots and elect to study in the enemy city!!! LOL. But yeah, I am really struggling w. the decision...

25th July 2011 15:38
SebCross
Exalted Member Join Date: Apr 2011

Re: Cambridge Applicants for 2012 entry
Subject: History
College: Churchill / Emma
Original post by punctuation

Happy birthday Julie :smile: I hope you're celebrating with lots of food like you said before :biggrin:
punctuation

bon anniversaire

Spoiler

Original post by nightmare91
Happy birthday Julie :smile: I hope you're celebrating with lots of food like you said before :biggrin:

Original post by medbh4805
bon anniversaire

Spoiler

Tack! Julie TSR amat. :biggrin:

Spoiler

oh god that was dreadful Latin wasn't it :frown: and I only put three words
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by punctuation
Tack! Julie TSR amat. :biggrin:

Spoiler

oh god that was dreadful Latin wasn't it :frown: and I only put three words

no I understood it; Julie and TSR lack cases so that's the only difficulty....:moon:

Julie would be Iulia but afaik words in Latin generally refer to specific rooms in a house, I don't thinkt he generic word "room" exits (though I could be wrong, don't have my dictionary handy :beard: ), so translating TSR would be difficult...it would become something like "the student living room" ....or "the student bedroom" :perv:

EDIT: Or you could go for room in the sense of "a space for students" and translate it as spatium. Or maybe I'm thinking about this too much :holmes:
(edited 12 years ago)
I guess I'm late,

but hi everyone, I'm a prospective PPE-ist.
Original post by cloudstr1f3r
I guess I'm late,

but hi everyone, I'm a prospective PPE-ist.

Not another one

Add yourself to the spreadsheet :smile:
Original post by Eldedu
Just how anally retentive are TSR mods? I got an "alert" for writing two sentences in french (bad french to boot) and... (gasp) NOT PROVIDING A TRANSLATION.

Ah well, 'tis the interwebs, bull****'s home court as it were.

Just to clear up the reasons for our 'anally retentive' qualities, the foreign languages rule has two main purposes:

1. To make it easy for us to moderate the forums. If people are writing in foreign languages it is a much bigger job to work out if a post is breaking the rules or not.

2. To make the threads accessible to everybody. If two people want to have a private conversation in a foreign language that is totally fine and they can do that via PM, VM or in the foreign language forums. But having a conversation in a language that not everyone can speak is alienating to other users, particularly in a community like TSR where you get new people popping in all the time, and particularly in a thread like this which is fast-moving and therefore a few lines of foreign language per post can end up taking up the whole last page of the thread and can feel quite exclusive.

The odd word is fine - something like buena suerte or bonjour. But when it turns into a conversation I'm sure you can understand why that is both difficult to mod and can exclude other users. As you can see from my sig, I am a linguist and I love speaking and learning foreign languages so I appreciate the enthusiasm that is evident on this thread, but if you do want to chat in another language within this forum you will have to provide a translation, because it makes life easier for everybody :smile: I hope that's cleared it up for everybody, there have been quite a few people railing against it on this thread so I just wanted to make it explicit.
Original post by Athena
If anyone wants the personal statement helpers to look at their PS, I encourage you to submit a draft sooner rather than later, as we get very busy in September! You can submit your statement in the appropriate forum here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=134

Just submitted mine! It was terrifying, it makes it all seem so close and real.
Reply 3733
Original post by Zoedotdot
Just to clear up the reasons for our 'anally retentive' qualities, the foreign languages rule has two main purposes:

1. To make it easy for us to moderate the forums. If people are writing in foreign languages it is a much bigger job to work out if a post is breaking the rules or not.

2. To make the threads accessible to everybody. If two people want to have a private conversation in a foreign language that is totally fine and they can do that via PM, VM or in the foreign language forums. But having a conversation in a language that not everyone can speak is alienating to other users, particularly in a community like TSR where you get new people popping in all the time, and particularly in a thread like this which is fast-moving and therefore a few lines of foreign language per post can end up taking up the whole last page of the thread and can feel quite exclusive.

The odd word is fine - something like buena suerte or bonjour. But when it turns into a conversation I'm sure you can understand why that is both difficult to mod and can exclude other users. As you can see from my sig, I am a linguist and I love speaking and learning foreign languages so I appreciate the enthusiasm that is evident on this thread, but if you do want to chat in another language within this forum you will have to provide a translation, because it makes life easier for everybody :smile: I hope that's cleared it up for everybody, there have been quite a few people railing against it on this thread so I just wanted to make it explicit.

That's lovely, and as another poster said, your forum, your rules. However, I find it hard to believe that this whole deleting-the-whole-thing-and-sending-off-alerts (or warnings, or whatever the Orwellian name you've given the things is) approach, is the best way to handle posts that I doubt broke any other forum rules when you could simply provide a translation yourselves (google translate, takes 15 seconds of your time) or ask us to do so. As you so accurately said, the posts were born out of an enthusiasm which I find it hard to believe could be detrimental to TSR. The current approach comes across as an over-zealous and yes, anally-retentive response to this "crime" of enthusiasm (I can use quotation marks disparagingly too :biggrin:).

I understand that under the current rules you or whoever did it was perfectly justified in doing so, I wasn't questioning that. My problem lies rather with the rules themselves.

Just giving you the reasons behind the name-calling, if you will. It's really small beer at the end of the day, certainly too much so to warrant a serious attempt at modification.

I'm sure from now on it will be strictly English anyhow.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3734
Original post by Athena
Strangely enough, we all have better things to do with our lives than translating foreign languages/attempts at foreign languages (even with Google translate) or waiting for a poster to come back and edit in a translation. Removing the posts from the public forum is much quicker, and the alert or warning reinforces the message. You were supposed to read the terms of service when you signed up - if you didn't, then it's really your funeral.

Hang on. You're apparently alright with moderating TSR's thousands of daily posts, reading gargantuan amounts of text and doling out countless infractions per day in what must be a very time-consuming job. That's respectable and you have my gratitude for it too. But that also means that its not convincing when you say you don't have time/can't be bothered writing (or even pasting, for heavens sake) a sentence-long message to a user or google translating a post. Having already come a mile, refusing to go the extra inch in lieu of doling out punishments is petty and unconvincing and does not correlate with the high standards you established when you accepted your position.

You would have been better off leaving things to Zoedotdot, by the way. She was kind enough to recognise the validity of our complaints and address them from an empathetic middle ground, which does her nothing but credit and comes across much more convincingly. Your effort reeks of a snarky attitude which I hope is a rarity in someone with the power to hand out punishments.

My funeral? Not really, I was just presenting my arguments against something I feel is absurd, which I have always done and will continue to do on the internet and elsewhere. But having done so, I don't really care that much to be honest. Neither a TSR warning/alert/big-brother-visit, nor the loss of the ability to write in pseudo-french, are great losses to me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3735
hi pplz :biggrin:

i'm new to this thread, wondering if i can ask a general question on here? :wink: or this strictly a casual kinda thing? XP

I'm an IB student studying in Berlin, planning to apply to brasenose for PPE XP
Reply 3736
Original post by Chunif
hi pplz :biggrin:

i'm new to this thread, wondering if i can ask a general question on here? :wink: or this strictly a casual kinda thing? XP

I'm an IB student studying in Berlin, planning to apply to brasenose for PPE XP

Another PPEist! (**** the competition is getting ridiculous :tongue:) Welcome :smile:
Ask away, a while ago we had some actual Oxonians posting here who seemed willing to help.
Reply 3737
Original post by Athena
We don't read every post on the forum, and there are many mods - we rely partly on users reporting posts which break the rules. Ultimately, as you say, it's the internet - I don't feel in a position of power, because a warning on TSR is just that, a message from a stranger on the internet asking you to behave in a way that's considerate to all the thousands of other users here. It's like those "don't walk on the grass" signs in Oxbridge colleges - a minor inconvenience or annoyance to individuals, but there to keep the quads in a good enough state that every can enjoy for hundreds of years, without them being worn down or trod to mud. Try to think of someone besides yourself - because when you post in a foreign language, you're being selfish and deliberately excluding people who can't speak that language.

Deliberately excluding? Really? :rolleyes: Pull the other one. Fine call me names, it's obvious we'll have to agree to disagree. /discussion.
Reply 3738
Original post by Eldedu
Another PPEist! (**** the competition is getting ridiculous :tongue:) Welcome :smile:
Ask away, a while ago we had some actual Oxonians posting here who seemed willing to help.

Yayyyz :biggrin:DD Well, its Oxford we're talking about :P just wait until you see the asians start to post on here :P we'd all be screwed XP

Which college are you applying to if I may ask? out of curiosity :smile:

seeing as you also do IB, my question was, it seems like i'll be predicted 44/45 points (including 3 bonus points) and the breakdown will probably look something like: econ HL-7, bio HL-7, Eng A1 HL-7, Math HL-6, Hist SL-7, German Ab. SL-7

but i also have SAT scores from earlier this year =/ 2150/2500 for SATI and 740/800 German SATII, 760/800 Math Lvl2 SATII, 800/800 Chinese SATII...

I'm worried that my SAT scores are kinda sub average =/ they're not bad...but its kinda lackluster =/ definitely not amazing scores or anything....so would i be better off withholding these scores and just submitting my predicted grades? or would my chances be better by giving them some more concrete grades to look at?

thanks for welcome :wink:
Reply 3739
Original post by Chunif
Yayyyz :biggrin:DD Well, its Oxford we're talking about :P just wait until you see the asians start to post on here :P we'd all be screwed XP

Which college are you applying to if I may ask? out of curiosity :smile:

seeing as you also do IB, my question was, it seems like i'll be predicted 44/45 points (including 3 bonus points) and the breakdown will probably look something like: econ HL-7, bio HL-7, Eng A1 HL-7, Math HL-6, Hist SL-7, German Ab. SL-7

but i also have SAT scores from earlier this year =/ 2150/2500 for SATI and 740/800 German SATII, 760/800 Math Lvl2 SATII, 800/800 Chinese SATII...

I'm worried that my SAT scores are kinda sub average =/ they're not bad...but its kinda lackluster =/ definitely not amazing scores or anything....so would i be better off withholding these scores and just submitting my predicted grades? or would my chances be better by giving them some more concrete grades to look at?

thanks for welcome :wink:

Yeah when the applicants from the Far East start posting I think I'll open a vein and just end it all :tongue:

Your SAT scores aren't sub average by any means (you know that, or you should know that). They look as though they'd be comfortably within the interquartile ranges of the Ivies, which is the measure of an outstanding performance IMO. Your predicted grades are very impressive, and at any rate are likely to be held in greater consideration than SAT scores as this is a British university. TBH I think it won't make much difference either way, they're good enough that including them won't hurt your chances but they aren't so good that including them will necessarily improve your chances.

Hopefully a successful applicant who also took the SAT can give us some advice that actually has the benefit of hindsight though...

Latest

Trending

Trending