The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

edit
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sarah lou
ok I know it has to be done in English but I read somewhere it had to be translated by a certified translator not by me or by my aunt ( she is Irish but she is not a translator... )

and it is really hard , cause I m studying at prépa (French kind of preparatory school) and it doesnt have any equivalent in the UK I think it is really French; the grading system is really particular so if they only read my marks it wont be really representative of my skills and stuff.. I m wondering where/how i could explain it correctly

Oh I see. I'm not sure then, I'd advise you to call or email Oxford to check.
Original post by punctuation
I haven't really touched anything TSA or PS-related since summer class started, to be honest - but I'm bringing one of my critical thinking books for the plane, so hopefully I can practise during then. Then, after my trip hopefully I'll really get into gear, finish the books, write my PS, and do some specimen papers... :sigh:

Good, then I'm not the only one... I've been reading this one CR book (50 pages to go whoohooo) but I haven't done any papers yet. But I'll definetely start soon.

hello everyone !
i m from France i would like to know as an international EU student do you have to have your reference letters and transcripts and so on translated by a certified translator or is it fine as long as it is written in English

thanks for replying !

ps I am interested in studying at UCL Edinburgh York Warwick Sussex Manchester the Courtauld to study history of art anyone studying there ?

I know your PS *must* be in English and probably you should get your references in English as well. It will be easier for the admissions tutors.

Yup, both the PS and the reference have to be in English. If your referee doesn't speak English you can just let him/her write it in French and then translate it yourself (of course you need some evidence that it is written by the referee and that he/she let you translate it).
ok I know it has to be done in English but I read somewhere it had to be translated by a certified translator not by me or by my aunt ( she is Irish but she is not a translator... )

and it is really hard , cause I m studying at prépa (French kind of preparatory school) and it doesnt have any equivalent in the UK I think it is really French; the grading system is really particular so if they only read my marks it wont be really representative of my skills and stuff.. I m wondering where/how i could explain it correctly

with the exams every week?? 8am to 8pm lessons?? :zomg:
perfect ill call to make sure I have been really busy having a hectic time with my school , thanks for your replies !

is anyone interested in studying at UCL Manchester Edinburgh Sussex York Warwick the Courtauld or does anyone have any feedback or particular things to say about any of them ? I want to study history of art and Im already facing problems with writing my personal statement ( quite unusual for me as a French student) :s
perfect ill call to make sure I have been really busy having a hectic time with my school , thanks for your replies !

is anyone interested in studying at UCL Manchester Edinburgh Sussex York Warwick the Courtauld or does anyone have any feedback or particular things to say about any of them ? I want to study history of art and Im already facing problems with writing my personal statement ( quite unusual for me as a French student) :s

I'm interested in UCL, and maybe York or Sussex. :smile: In fact I'll be seeing UCL... yep tomorrow.

Original post by nightmare91
Good, then I'm not the only one... I've been reading this one CR book (50 pages to go whoohooo) but I haven't done any papers yet. But I'll definetely start soon.

You haven't done any papers yet? You should probably try the quick 10-min one on the Cambridge site just to test your new skills :wink:
Original post by medbh4805
with the exams every week?? 8am to 8pm lessons?? :zomg:

YES except that for me it is from 8 am to 5pm (hopefully) but exams on saturdays from 8am to 2pm which is lovely I would say !
I'm interested in UCL, and maybe York or Sussex. :smile: In fact I'll be seeing UCL... yep tomorrow.

You haven't done any papers yet? You should probably try the quick 10-min one on the Cambridge site just to test your new skills :wink:

Oh I will do that tomorrow, don't know why I haven't done it before. Hopefully the book at least helped a little bit :biggrin:. Btw on the page where you can do this short test, it says that a calculator is not allowed but a dictionary is. What about the actual TSA, are dictionaries allowed?
Oh I will do that tomorrow, don't know why I haven't done it before. Hopefully the book at least helped a little bit :biggrin:. Btw on the page where you can do this short test, it says that a calculator is not allowed but a dictionary is. What about the actual TSA, are dictionaries allowed?

I'm pretty sure dictionaries aren't allowed either. However I didn't know you could not bring a calculator... hmm. :/
I'm pretty sure dictionaries aren't allowed either. However I didn't know you could not bring a calculator... hmm. :/

A dictionary would help us internationals (the one's that don't have English as their first language of course). Sometimes it is just one word which helps to make you understand everything a bit more... But well, hopefully it won't be a dealbreaker :biggrin:
A dictionary would help us internationals (the one's that don't have English as their first language of course). Sometimes it is just one word which helps to make you understand everything a bit more... But well, hopefully it won't be a dealbreaker :biggrin:

That's what I was thinking... I think you could email them and ask if an exception could be made?
That's what I was thinking... I think you could email them and ask if an exception could be made?

I will ask the Cambridge Assessment Centre here in Hamburg where I will sit the TSA. Btw do you know when we have to register for the TSA? In the UK the school does that automatically for the students I think.
I will ask the Cambridge Assessment Centre here in Hamburg where I will sit the TSA. Btw do you know when we have to register for the TSA? In the UK the school does that automatically for the students I think.

Contact the centre. It depends. The formal deadline is October 14th. However I talked to my centre and they said I have to register by September-something or else pay a few hundred dollars extra. :/
Contact the centre. It depends. The formal deadline is October 14th. However I talked to my centre and they said I have to register by September-something or else pay a few hundred dollars extra. :/

I've just sent them an email, hopefully they will answer soon. But wow, a few hundred dollars?:eek: If you register before the deadline the TSA is usually free right?
I've just sent them an email, hopefully they will answer soon. But wow, a few hundred dollars?:eek: If you register before the deadline the TSA is usually free right?

Erm no. D: I guess for you EU students maybe? I think I have to pay somewhere between 100-200 dollars to sit the test. But it's no big deal; I had to pay about 350 dollars to get certified as a ski instructor, and some people failed that certification... :K:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I'm getting off the internet now and I will change to my clothes then I will get my taxi and then my flight ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :woo:
Erm no. D: I guess for you EU students maybe? I think I have to pay somewhere between 100-200 dollars to sit the test. But it's no big deal; I had to pay about 350 dollars to get certified as a ski instructor, and some people failed that certification... :K:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I'm getting off the internet now and I will change to my clothes then I will get my taxi and then my flight ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :woo:

Being a ski instructor, that's so cool :biggrin: Have a good flight! Hopefully you will be able to get some sleep on the plane, I never manage that :frown:
Reply 4136
YES except that for me it is from 8 am to 5pm (hopefully) but exams on saturdays from 8am to 2pm which is lovely I would say !

This is a large part in why I really hope I get in to Oxford, aside from the obvious.
Being a ski instructor, that's so cool :biggrin: Have a good flight! Hopefully you will be able to get some sleep on the plane, I never manage that :frown:

Do you ski? :smile:

Sitting in the airport now! The floor keeps shaking ominously. D: And yes I hope so to, I rarely manage sufficient sleep. This has been a useless update from Julie :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Do you ski? :smile:

Sitting in the airport now! The floor keeps shaking ominously. D: And yes I hope so to, I rarely manage sufficient sleep. This has been a useless update from Julie :biggrin:

i love skiing! Usually every other winter I go to Austria to ski. :smile: Well, let us know when you arrived safely :biggrin:

You could perhaps mention the prépa in your personal statement. I get the impression that quite a lot of french students apply to Oxford while doing their prépa and I'm sure by now the tutors will have some idea about how crazy the workload is. Tu as choisi quelle filière? Hypokhâgne?

I don't think you need a certified translator - part of my reference was written in French but I translated it and there wasn't a problem.

What subject are you Applying for? Good luck! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending