The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nightmare91
i love skiing! Usually every other winter I go to Austria to ski. :smile: Well, let us know when you arrived safely :biggrin:

Wow that sounds fantastic! My uncle always invites me to go to their place in Munich (I think they live/used to live right by/on top of a hill or something) but... Never any time :frown: I wanted to go this summer but it was too much. So hopefully next summer or something. :biggrin:

As you can probably tell I've arrived safely. Already visited parts of UCL which was completely empty given that it is the weekend. As such I was able to take many embarrassing touristy photos. :colondollar: Also a lady at reception goes to UCL so we were able to have a nice chat... Forgot to ask her what subject but it's a great job for her since UCL is about 2 minutes away...

Ahem. Anyway, sorry rest for the completely un-Oxford post! Will be more relevant after I visit Monday or Tuesday.
Original post by punctuation
Wow that sounds fantastic! My uncle always invites me to go to their place in Munich (I think they live/used to live right by/on top of a hill or something) but... Never any time :frown: I wanted to go this summer but it was too much. So hopefully next summer or something. :biggrin:

As you can probably tell I've arrived safely. Already visited parts of UCL which was completely empty given that it is the weekend. As such I was able to take many embarrassing touristy photos. :colondollar: Also a lady at reception goes to UCL so we were able to have a nice chat... Forgot to ask her what subject but it's a great job for her since UCL is about 2 minutes away...

Ahem. Anyway, sorry rest for the completely un-Oxford post! Will be more relevant after I visit Monday or Tuesday.

Oh you definetely have to go to Munich! Next summer sounds fine, before you go to Oxford :wink:

I haven't visited UCL yet even though I'm also applying to one of their courses. But at least you already got some pictures :biggrin: I never take any pictures because I don't want to look like a tourist and in the end I always regret it :tongue:
Yeah, don't follow the crowd. :rolleyes:

I just stalked your posts and remembered you were an English applicant. In that case I'd recommend paraphrasing something that happened in a book, but make it insightful and what-have-you.

Ah, good to know. I'd ask you what books, but I don't want anyone stealing your ideas, so I'll just wait until after interviews :wink: (hopefully)

Well on the subject of interviews, in the videos Oxford has on its website it notes one thing tutors will do to ease you in is ask about your personal statement - I don't think it's an interrogation like "What was page 5's second word?!" but more like, oh I saw you read this, how was it, what did you think, etc.

Then again I read somewhere that someone was asked for English or some similar subject about something that happened in a book they wrote about. That person didn't remember so instead of making something up he/she was honest and it turned out that part wasn't in the book at all!

Also, the aforementioned former psychology applicant said she had 5 interviews... so don't bank on just having two! She's not even a dual degree applicant but had 2 philosophy interviews as I mentioned. I wonder how many I'd get :s-smilie: hopefully no more than 3, don't think I could handle the nerves. :colondollar:

Good luck on getting shortlisted! :biggrin:

ETA: Oh and on Oxford's youtube page they have a lot of videos about tutors before, during, and after the interview week. It's really detailed but can be a bit boring since their subjects and respective colleges didn't apply to me... If you have nothing to do (as I did) you can watch them.

Oh and also! More helpful than the YouTube videos are the podcasts. Oxford has two on interviews, one on international but the latter also holds general info. I think they're 10-20 minutes long, and they're packed with information you couldn't find elsewhere. :smile:

Oh, you wonderful creature! :redface: That was all incredibly helpful stuff; I'm just about to check out their Youtube page.

Five interviews? Good grief. I suppose I'd rather have five though instead of going through the whole pool thing like Cambridge. :rolleyes:

Thank you so much! :biggrin: I'd say good luck to you too, but it sounds like you've already been through the application process? Forgive me, I'm always sometimes a little slow. :colondollar:
x.

Pfft ignore me, just seen your signature about UCAS :rolleyes:

in which case, GOOD LUCK! :smile:
So last night I rewatched Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban...

I hope Oxford is a bit like Hogwarts :wink:
Reply 4145
Nine days from now... Results :O

What parts of UCL did you see? Just because I'm interested to know what it's like, especially in terms of accomodation and stuff, as I don't know when I'll be able to visit, and I'm kind of scared of going to London at the moment :s-smilie:....well realisitically I'm going on holiday for 10 days tomorrow :smile:, so I know I can't visit within the next two weeks and am therefore relying on everyone else's feedback :tongue: I hope you liked it!
Original post by Niki_girl
What parts of UCL did you see? Just because I'm interested to know what it's like, especially in terms of accomodation and stuff, as I don't know when I'll be able to visit, and I'm kind of scared of going to London at the moment :s-smilie:....well realisitically I'm going on holiday for 10 days tomorrow :smile:, so I know I can't visit within the next two weeks and am therefore relying on everyone else's feedback :tongue: I hope you liked it!

Today I went to the union cafe, got lost in the Wilkins building, found the shop but didn't want to seem touristy so didn't buy anything, got my third UCL prospectus, and visited the psychology department.

There's some program going on in UCL at the mo, saw many teenagers with matching shirts. :/ Accomodation I didn't bother with, too lazy to walk around and see. All in all it was cool to look around but generally useless information-wise, as I already knew everything I asked about.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by fluteflute

Any resemblance is purely coincidental :wink:
Reply 4149
Which college is everyone going to apply to? I like the look of Pembroke but I suppose I'll wait until the open day to decide :biggrin:
Original post by Lexi C
Which college is everyone going to apply to? I like the look of Pembroke but I suppose I'll wait until the open day to decide :biggrin:

Me too! I'm applying there for History & Econ. I've heard it's generally more expensive though. Don't know to what extent that is true
I'm applying for H&E, so considering talking about the Horrible Histories programme in my personal statement :biggrin:
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
You could perhaps mention the prépa in your personal statement. I get the impression that quite a lot of french students apply to Oxford while doing their prépa and I'm sure by now the tutors will have some idea about how crazy the workload is. Tu as choisi quelle filière? Hypokhâgne?

I don't think you need a certified translator - part of my reference was written in French but I translated it and there wasn't a problem.

What subject are you Applying for? Good luck! :biggrin:

I am applying for history of art but not at oxbridge I would like to try UCL Edinburgh York or Warwick Sussex I ll see . I will mention it for sure I hope it will be an advantage and work in my favour ! ill call the unis to make sure but if you say you didnt need to have your papers translated when applying to Oxbridge then it should be fine for me , thanks ! I m applying for 2012 entry and I have just finished mon "Hypo"(hypokhagne) I m relieved that I can translate the reference letter myself as my teachers or the people I thought of to write them are French !
Reply 4153
Original post by Pigeon93
Me too! I'm applying there for History & Econ. I've heard it's generally more expensive though. Don't know to what extent that is true

Yeah I think it is slightly dearer, but I really like the sound of it!
So what ASs are you doing?
Original post by Lexi C
Yeah I think it is slightly dearer, but I really like the sound of it!
So what ASs are you doing?

Well I just finished the IB, and am now on a gap year. But Math, History, French HL, English, Econ, Chemistry SL. And you? Which course do you have in mind?
Original post by Lexi C
Nine days from now... Results :O

Don't say things like thaaaat :frown: I genuinely want to cry every time I hear about how close Results Day is.

My plan is to spend all of the 17th baking cupcakes and cookies and really tasty stuff. That way, I figure my mind is occupied for the whole day, and I'll have either lots of comfort eating supplies (if it goes horribly) or celebration treats (if it goes well) ready for Results Day.

Thinking about it that way makes me feel a little bit better. :redface:
Original post by Legendary-A-Sonic
Don't say things like thaaaat :frown: I genuinely want to cry every time I hear about how close Results Day is.

My plan is to spend all of the 17th baking cupcakes and cookies and really tasty stuff. That way, I figure my mind is occupied for the whole day, and I'll have either lots of comfort eating supplies (if it goes horribly) or celebration treats (if it goes well) ready for Results Day.

Thinking about it that way makes me feel a little bit better. :redface:

I'll probably bypass all that and go straight for the vodka tbh. :colonhash:
Reply 4157
Original post by medbh4805

Me likes the way you think :yes:
Reply 4158
Original post by fluteflute

Well when I tried walking my suitcase into the largest pillar I could find at the Oxford Railway Station all I got was a bruised forehead and dirty looks...

might have been the wrong pillar. :s-smilie:
Original post by medbh4805

I've always found drowning my sorrows in icing vastly more effective. :cool: Different strokes, I guess. Let's just hope, whatever our poison, it's in celebration. :biggrin:

... although if things are really bad, I might join you with the vodka. :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending