The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5100
Hi everyone :biggrin:
Username: Froodles
Subject: History
GCSE: 11 A*
AS: History (A), Engligh Lit (A), Maths (A), Economics (A), General Studies (A)
College: Can't seem to choose between Lincoln or Oriel :s-smilie:
Reply 5101
Username: Wellie
Subject: English
GCSEs: 9A*s
AS: All As in Eng Lit, Economics, Latin, History.
College: Exeter, Pembroke or Trinity.
Oxford can't see your UMS right?
Do you think it would be a problem if I dropped Latin for A2?
Original post by Wellie
Username: Wellie
Subject: English
GCSEs: 9A*s
AS: All As in Eng Lit, Economics, Latin, History.
College: Exeter, Pembroke or Trinity.
Oxford can't see your UMS right?
Do you think it would be a problem if I dropped Latin for A2?

They can't see your UMS. But if you have amazing UMS scores I'd let the teacher mention it in the reference.

If you don't want to continue, drop it. It won't be a problem. But if you think you are able to cope with the workload, just keep it :smile:
Anyone intending to apply to a Philosophy course at Oxford (I'm mostly addressing the PPE people here I think) might be interested in the General Philosophy lectures which Oxford has put up on YouTube. I think this is the first Philosophy course you take.

Reply 5104
Original post by medbh4805
get your tricolour, you'll be my Irish buddy along with LexiC :woo: (planar doesn't count because he's a dirty unionist)

hehe just added my tricolour. yehoo!
Reply 5105
Original post by medbh4805
get your tricolour, you'll be my Irish buddy along with LexiC :woo: (planar doesn't count because he's a dirty unionist)

Or not.... How come that didn't work?!?!
Reply 5106
Original post by nightmare91
They can't see your UMS. But if you have amazing UMS scores I'd let the teacher mention it in the reference.

If you don't want to continue, drop it. It won't be a problem. But if you think you are able to cope with the workload, just keep it :smile:

What would you define an amazing UMS score as?
Original post by Lexi C
What would you define an amazing UMS score as?

That is of course subjective but I'd consider a 94%< average as amazing. So if you apply for German for instance and you got like an 94% average or more, I'd definetely let the referee mention it in the reference :u:
Reply 5108
Original post by nightmare91
That is of course subjective but I'd consider a 94%&lt; average as amazing. So if you apply for German for instance and you got like an 94% average or more, I'd definetely let the referee mention it in the reference :u:

Awkward... I got 92% in German fmlll... Shall I get my reference to put it down or is that score better off left not mentioned?
Reply 5109
Also, where is the spreadsheet? Would someone mind linking me pleeease?
Original post by Lexi C
Awkward... I got 92% in German fmlll... Shall I get my reference to put it down or is that score better off left not mentioned?

92% is still good! It is worth mentioning in my opinion! :smile:

And here is the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CMTUkYUO&key=0Ahtu7FJUHwgsdHJsRE1aa0hQdl9rOWY3MHVqTmUteHc&hl=en_US&authkey=CMTUkYUO#gid=2
Reply 5111
I know this has been asked loooads of times... but I'm being given mixed info here! Does retaking modules put you at a disadvantage? Ignoring "mitigating circumstances", as long as I've done my A levels in the 2 years and haven't taken an extra year to get good grades, retaken AS modules are fine, aren't they? Because I've just read this on the Oxford site:
As you will be aware, this Medical School offers courses that are academically very demanding and aims to select those students who would best be able to benefit from the challenges they make. Consequently, other things being equal, candidates who are re-taking part or the whole of their qualifications have on average a lower chance of being offered a place than those who are expected to obtain straight As at the first attempt

Can anybody clear this up for me once and for all :smile:?
Hi all!
Username: Jsrbrunty
Subject: Biology
GCSE: 9A*, 3A, 2B
AS: Biology A, Chem A, Phys A, English Lit A.
College: Maybe Jesus? Or Queen's... or any of the other ones really!
Reply 5113
Original post by loz876
I know this has been asked loooads of times... but I'm being given mixed info here! Does retaking modules put you at a disadvantage? Ignoring "mitigating circumstances", as long as I've done my A levels in the 2 years and haven't taken an extra year to get good grades, retaken AS modules are fine, aren't they? Because I've just read this on the Oxford site:

Can anybody clear this up for me once and for all :smile:?

That is the trouble with summer exams, the universities will receive your results from the summer and take them at face value. The retake thing generally means winter exams retaken in the summer so the AS will be certificated with the new results and universities are unlikely to find out (except Cambridge). Since AS results are cashed in with predictions, universities will assess you on your current results only and would make no assumption that you'd improve (afterall how could they?) in the winter. So, even if they know you'll retake, I guess Chemistry, since the application process in before the winter exams, they'll still take that C as a C and your chances are slim.

For 2013 entry, however, if you could improve your grades next year, then retakes should have no effect since it will be your new better grades that are certificated, to answer your question, retakes should be fine for most universities except Cambridge.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5114
Original post by Reminisce
That is the trouble with summer exams, the universities will receive your results from the summer and take them at face value. The retake thing generally means winter exams retaken in the summer so the AS will be certificated with the new results and universities are unlikely to find out (except Cambridge). Since AS results are cashed in with predictions, universities will assess you on your current results only and would make no assumption that you'd improve (afterall how could they?) in the winter. So, even if they know you'll retake, I guess Chemistry, since the application process in before the winter exams, they'll still take that C as a C and your chances are slim.

For 2013 entry, however, if you could improve your grades next year, then retakes should have no effect since it will be your new better grades that are certificated, to answer your question, retakes should be fine for most universities except Cambridge.

Thank you :smile: but if my predictions are AAA as they need to be, shouldn't this be fine? Or would they doubt my ability to achieve these grades because they wouldn't know I'd be retaking a module?
For anyone applying for law - I was on the website earlier and noticed that the LNAT deadline for Oxford has been shortened.
You now have to register for and book the test by 5 October at the latest (I'd advise doing it well before that though!) and the deadline for actually sitting it is 20 October.
Reply 5116
Original post by loz876
Thank you :smile: but if my predictions are AAA as they need to be, shouldn't this be fine? Or would they doubt my ability to achieve these grades because they wouldn't know I'd be retaking a module?

Well... Firstly, this year with AS grades cashed in, this means that universities will explicitly see your AS grade and will compare it with the predictions that your teachers will give in. Most people believe that they did this to discourage predictions of like two grades higher so that C in Chemistry going to an A in predictions will be an issue. This is because they will doubt your abilities to achieve an A like you said because they have no inclination to believe that you'll improve in your A2 or your resets even if they know. C in AS to A in A2 is possible albeit rare so universities generally won't believe that prediction. Secondly, medicine is extremely competitive as you know and most applicants have A* predictions.
Does anybody know if Oxford have opportunities for students to ever study semesters abroad as part of their course? I want to study law, and I know that if I studied law with a language, that would entail studying abroad for a year. However I want to know if I only study law, would there ever be an opportunity for me to study part of the degree abroad for example just one semester? Are there ever small exchange schemes like that or not?
Original post by Festina lente
For anyone applying for law - I was on the website earlier and noticed that the LNAT deadline for Oxford has been shortened.
You now have to register for and book the test by 5 October at the latest (I'd advise doing it well before that though!) and the deadline for actually sitting it is 20 October.

I'm sitting it in a few weeks time and somewhat worried about it. My only prep so far has been the practice tests on the website. The first one I got 24 and the second I only got 19. D:
Anyone here hoping for an interview from Oxford?

Oxford has published their timetable of when we'll be needed for December 2011 Interviews Oxford :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending