The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5280
Original post by Mousebudden
Let me know if you get an answer to this mate

Original post by RichE
If the A* you got early was maths, then it will definitely count to the offer which should be just A*A now.

Sorry to be pedantic/a bit of a **** but what's your source? I really have to get this right sorry :frown:
Original post by Phia7
I tried to stay away from the Internet (dun, dun, dun...) for a while! :wink:

How did you live!? :eek: :lol:
argh I'm thinking of applying to Bristol and St. Andrews now instead of Manchester and Warwick...this is so hard :cry2:
Where are all those hopeful PPEists? We are SO many! :s-smilie:
The colour coding looks good :smile: exactly what I would've expected :woo:

Original post by Brand New Eyes
oh no! at least you're back now! I dont think I've actually spoken to you before? Anyway HI AGAIN> WELCOME BACK! Im sure everyone missed you :smile:

I was away the whole of July so I'm kinda out of the loop. How was the open day!? Yay another PPE poster, the 30 odd on the spreadsheet never post on here! :frown: twas getting abit lonely.

I haven't even started my PS...

Erm I dno... Why do we have a website? Ask... whoever made it? we colour coded the spreadsheet! it was exciting
What about the combination St. Andrews and Warwick? You can do this!!

Original post by medbh4805
argh I'm thinking of applying to Bristol and St. Andrews now instead of Manchester and Warwick...this is so hard :cry2:
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Please see sig for college recommendation :tongue:

The language tutors are amazing there - interviews were actually enjoyable for the majority of languages candidates (Whereas at other colleges...not so welcoming)

Also...the food :u:
And very generous financial support - in addition to the Oxford Opportunity Bursary, (Up to £4000 or something for your year) Trinity are offering the Levine Bursary worth up to £5000.

It's quite near to Jesus actually...

If you have any questions about applying for languages I'd be happy to help :smile:

where do you find all this bursary information?
thanks!
Original post by applestrudle
where do you find all this bursary information?
thanks!

I got sent it in my freshers' pack.

I was quite astounded by Oxford's generosity.

Example:

If you get the maximum grant from the government (around £2900 for my year) then Oxford in general will give you up to £4000 for your first year and around £3225 for the remainder of your course.

Then you have college based bursaries - at Trinity if you qualify for the Opportunity bursary then you are automatically in contention for the Trinity bursary (not sure how much it's worth though)

However recently they've introduced the Levine bursary which is targeted primarily at bereaved students but it also takes into account other 'difficult circumstances' worth £1000 to £5000.

So theoretically you could be getting a huge amount of money......making Oxford one of the cheapest places to study :smile:

Of note: http://www.cherwell.org/news/2008/02/01/oxford-top-of-the-class-for-student-bursaries

http://www.cherwell.org/news/2011/03/15/cambridge-battles-over-bursaries
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Phia7
What about the combination St. Andrews and Warwick? You can do this!!

Maybe...I'm just so unsure now :cry:
I guess (hope!) that's normal. Try not to rely too heavily on league table ranks - your completely subjective feelings/preferences are so much more important! :smile:
Maybe...I'm just so unsure now :cry:
That's a mystery. :ninja:
Original post by manic_fuzz
How did you live!? :eek: :lol:
Original post by Phia7
I guess (hope!) that's normal. Try not to rely too heavily on league table ranks - your completely subjective feelings/preferences are so much more important! :smile:

Argh I'm just not sure if I want a language/lit focused course (what I would have chosen a year ago) or one that brings in other stuff too; art, archaeology, history, linguistics etc (which I'm more interested in now - though most courses are pretty flexible). I suppose I'll have to decide soon :colonhash:
Applying for English Language and Literature, but for A level took English Lit, Maths, Chem and Physics! No idea which college to apply to, anybody been in a similar position and been succesful at a particular college?
Original post by Brand New Eyes
its because we've been rigorously following this thread for god knows how long :smile: I probably spent more time on here than fb for a while...! and we talk about random stuff sometimes too.

I don't know everyone that well! although I think the top posters do, especially when their on first name terms. I'll come join your boat over there

I qualify as a 'top poster', but wouldn't say I know people that well. It's better when you know people's names though, as then you can sort of visualise them and it feels like they're real. I'm probably near the top because I've been here since the very beginning (second poster!). :biggrin:

Oh, and this is to anyone reading: don't worry. It may seem like we all know each other and you've missed the boat, but it really isn't true! Please all come out and chat! Especially the mysterious stranger from Sweden.

Original post by fluteflute
Yeah that's true :smile:

Jess plays an instrument? :-o

Jess plays viola, an instrument made of awesomeness and unicorn hair. Greg plays flute, and knows deep inside that he would love to be good enough for the viola. Greg and Jess also had this conversation before once. Although Jess has an advantage in remembering this because of Greg's handy username. :tongue:

What's wrong with Bristol, St. Andrews, Manchester and Warwick? Then four of your choices would be the same as mine.

Original post by jennymlanigan
Applying for English Language and Literature, but for A level took English Lit, Maths, Chem and Physics! No idea which college to apply to, anybody been in a similar position and been succesful at a particular college?

Which college you apply to won't affect whether your application is successful :smile:. The first step is to take out any that don't offer your course, which for Englsih leaves you with:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/colleges
Balliol, Brasenose, Christ Church, Corpus Christi, Exeter, Harris Manchester, Hertford, Jesus College, Lady Margaret Hall, Lincoln, Magdalen, Mansfield, Merton, New College, Oriel, Pembroke, The Queen's College, Regent's Park, St Anne’s, St Catherine’s, St Edmund Hall, St Hilda’s, St Hugh’s, St John’s, St Peter’s, Somerville, Trinity, University College, Wadham, Worcester

Then try to use other factors to eliminate them. Do you want a college that offers accommodation for all four years? All four years and in the city centre? Do you want a big college so there's always lots going on, or a small one that'll feel cosy? If you're lazy, you might want one next door to the English department: the nearest are St Catherine's (Catz), New, and Mansfield. Do you want one with lots of green spaces? Have a look at different colleges on the website. When you get down to a list of maybe less than five, see if you can visit Oxford and have a look at them. Finally, remember that a lot of people get pooled to a different college anyway, so it doesn't necessarily matter. :smile: Hope that helps!
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Jess plays viola, an instrument made of awesomeness and unicorn hair. Greg plays flute, and knows deep inside that he would love to be good enough for the viola. Greg and Jess also had this conversation before once. Although Jess has an advantage in remembering this because of Greg's handy username. :tongue:
Greg's memories are coming back to him; he wonders if he informed Jess that he was once told violas are like chocolate cake: deep and rich. Greg thinks chocolate cake, unicorn hair and awesomeness is an almost unbeatable combination, but he is yet to meet a beatboxing viola player.

What's wrong with Bristol, St. Andrews, Manchester and Warwick? Then four of your choices would be the same as mine.

Because I definitely want to apply to Durham and Exeter :beard:
Greg's memories are coming back to him; he wonders if he informed Jess that he was once told violas are like chocolate cake: deep and rich. Greg thinks chocolate cake, unicorn hair and awesomeness is an almost unbeatable combination, but he is yet to meet a beatboxing viola player.

Wow. Jess concedes that a beatboxing flute certainly beats the lowest echelons of viola, although naturally viola stands supreme. Chocolate cake is indeed like viola, although violas taste better.

Original post by Albertine
Haha you make me laugh! We did some today; although while everyone was signing up I got to do my personal statement :tongue:

No bog standard stateschool for me! And I live in Orkney, not Edinburgh (unfortunately :frown:) yeah RGU is much the same actually, although RGU has more respect than napier :wink:

When we were doing we weren't even on computers. The teacher was just telling us and we were meant to be taking notes. :sigh:

Oh, I knew you were Northern Isles at some point! I know a set of Orcadian reels for fiddle. (And yes, I mention that because it's my only connection with Orkney.) I've never really looked at RGU. In my head it's not much worse than Strathclyde, and Strathclyde is considerably better than Napier. But I'm not sure my head has any accuracy, or indeed any idea what it's talking about.

Because I definitely want to apply to Durham and Exeter :beard:

Hmph. :talkhand:

Hey :biggrin:

I'm an aussie student on gap year, applying for the 2012 entry.
English literature @ Queen's
Wow. Jess concedes that a beatboxing flute certainly beats the lowest echelons of viola, although naturally viola stands supreme. Chocolate cake is indeed like viola, although violas taste better.
Greg is wondering whether there are many duets written for flute and viola and what that combination might sound like...
Greg is wondering whether there are many duets written for flute and viola and what that combination might sound like...

Gráinne doesn't understand why posters are referring to themselves in the third person. Has she missed something? :holmes:

Jess has found the combination, but no duets unfortunately.

Now that we have successfully learnt each others names, shall we revert to first person?

Latest

Trending

Trending