The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by such_a_lady
Hahaha I wanted to put "I simply prefer speaking German to English" BECAUSE IT IS SO TRUE. Guess what, I just thought "Does anyone know, what to my copy of Hamlet happened has?". OH DEAR ME.

oh god this a thousand times. I think things like "I am living in the Hertfordshire since 5 years" then groan inwardly

do you ever have dreams in german? I have them in french, hee :colondollar:
Ooh also, is anyone else going to go to one of these mock interview day things organised by Oxbridge Applications? I'm going to as I don't see how it can do any harm and dad agreed to pay for it!
Original post by banterbury_tales

Ooh also, is anyone else going to go to one of these mock interview day things organised by Oxbridge Applications? I'm going to as I don't see how it can do any harm and dad agreed to pay for it!
I think you're being ripped off tbh...

But I suppose it'll probably increase your confidence, which can't be a bad thing. Unless it goes really badly...
Original post by fluteflute
I think you're being ripped off tbh...

But I suppose it'll probably increase your confidence, which can't be a bad thing. Unless it goes really badly...

Yeah my initial reaction was NOPE but I don't see how it can be harmful really. Even if I cock it up bigtime I'll know what NOT to do at the actual interview :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Yeah my initial reaction was NOPE but I don't see how it can be harmful really. Even if I cock it up bigtime I'll know what NOT to at the actual interview :biggrin:
Yeah. The only danger I can see is that they might give you an impression that is totally different to the actual interview experience. Then again, they are (I think) ex-Oxbridge people who run it.
Hey guys. wondering about your thoughts on my prospects for law? - worried about my GCSE's; sub-standard grades, in some 'soft' subjects?

GCSE's
Maths A
English Lang A*
English Lit A*
Religious Studies A*
History A
Core Science A*
Additional Science A*
Textiles B
French A
Art C
FSMQ Additional Maths C

so 5A*s, 3A's, B, C, and a C in add maths

AS - 6(nearly) A's
Maths A (95.7%)
Further Maths (to be finished in Jan - but will almost definitely be an A, just one more exam to sit)
History A (99.5%)
Physics A (90%)
General Studies A

im continuing Maths, History, and Physics to A2, and should be predicted, and should get A*s in all 3.
Hoping to do very well in the LNAT - last practice test i got 28/42

Also wondering what colleges might be best to apply to? currently very keen on keble.
Original post by Legendary-A-Sonic
EDINBURGH IS AMAZING. It's all beautiful, and you have this gorgeous historic city right in the middle of an incredible mountainous (probably just hills, but I'm from the Fens, so anything taller than about 10 feet is a mountain to me) landscape. The course looked fantastic, the rooms we stayed in overnight were really nicely furnished, and I just generally felt like I would be totally happy spending 4 years of my life there. :smile:

That was horribly described, and probably of no use at all, but definitely look at it. :smile:

Only problem is I hear the admissions process is a bit random and wild...

Yesss, one week at Oxford, one week at Edinburgh... :smile: if only, if only. Maybe if one of us got into Ox and the other Edinburgh we could just alternate weeks! :wink:

Edinburgh is built on seven hills, like Rome:wink:. Oh, and I don't know about most subjects, but a friend works in the Social Sciences admissions bit and says they don't care about PSs unless they're atrocious, because they don't know how much help people have had with them. Can't speak for any other faculty (or indeed any other part of the admissions process).

Or those the ones that cost £1,500? :eek:
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Or those the ones that cost £1,500? :eek:

only £300 this one

("only" she says, but I mean if it does help then it's worth the 300 right?)

only £300 this one

("only" she says, but I mean if it does help then it's worth the 300 right?)
And if it doesn't? :wink:

I guess the worst thing would be if you didn't get an interview :tongue:
Original post by VanillaSmoure
I did my LNAT last week! Oddly the word counter was missing in my essay section and I had to be given an 'incident number' and report so the universities will know it wasn't entirely my fault if I was hugely over/under the word reccommendation. Gahhh!

But even despite that, the actual test was absolutely fine, so there's no need to freak out :smile:. In fact I think I quite enjoyed it! When are you sitting it? Good luck!

P.S. I'm applying for Law at Hertford, any one else on here thinking of Hertford for Law?

Well done you on taking the test :smile: I'm slightly worried about it; I have booked it for the October 7th - was hoping to get my driving theory and personal statement completed (with some time for panicking!)

What did you get on the practise test(s)/how did you find the real test in comparison?

Yesss, one week at Oxford, one week at Edinburgh... :smile: if only, if only. Maybe if one of us got into Ox and the other Edinburgh we could just alternate weeks! :wink:

dream uni! Apparently it's harder to get into edin for Englit than it is ox though BUMMER. Like statistically, you've got a 1/10 chance at ed and a 1/5 chance at ox. Probably just cause fewer people apply to the latter though. And apparently they hate non-Scots ahha
Original post by doloroushazy
And apparently they hate non-Scots ahha

Lies. In fact, their entire economic policy for the foreseeable future is based on getting a decent amount of English (nationality, not subject) students.
Lies. In fact, their entire economic policy for the foreseeable future is based on getting a decent amount of English (nationality, not subject) students.

So they like us cause we bring in the dolla... haha don't blame them

Or perhaps their economic policy for the next six months, at which point they realise they have no English applicants and must either face the humiliation of accepting students from clearing (which is even more humiliating if you're turning down scottish students) or face the humiliation of lowering fees.

This is pure speculation on my part, but still...
And if it doesn't? :wink:

I guess the worst thing would be if you didn't get an interview :tongue:

yeah that's what my mum said haha
I guess all I can do is try it~
Or perhaps their economic policy for the next six months, at which point they realise they have no English applicants and must either face the humiliation of accepting students from clearing (which is even more humiliating if you're turning down scottish students) or face the humiliation of lowering fees.

This is pure speculation on my part, but still...

Yeah, at the moment I think the 'foreseeable future' is probably about three weeks! No, they won't discriminate towards or against English students at admissions, it's just that if few English apply they may then find themselves in a bit of a mess. That said, a lot of the English Edinburgh students are pretty posh, so they'll still get some English applicants I think.
Original post by <3 inbetweener D
i've read through past papers but i haven't done any yet, what have you done?
yeah i'm so nervous about it, it just seems horrible to mess up so early and then the whole option of oxford is gone!

I've looked at some past papers :s-smilie: haven't answered any yet, really waiting for some help from a teacher or something, a little more guidance on exactly how to answer the questions well...I'm already worried about exactly how to do well on the whole exam, and then I might not even get an interview after all of that! I know :redface: we've just got to try really hard and as it gets closer to the exam date I'll do a couple of past papers and get a history teacher to mark them & ask for feedback I think...
Reply 5517
I see! Thank you :smile: Decision cemented then! Do you know what the off-site accommodation is like?

I don't know, sorry.
Hi back! (I may have already said hello, but whatever. I'm one of those people who get stuck in awkward hello battles)

That's actually really good to hear - and no, I'm still set on Hertford, just had a minor niggle about not being in college the whole time. But I think ChCh is the only place big enough to do that anyway :rolleyes:

Call me a total idiot, but are most tutorials held in the college? Also, apologies if I've missed this, but what subject are you applying for? :smile:

The tutorials are in the college, yes :smile:
I'm applying for French and Spanish.

In fact, I'm hoping to hand in my UCAS form for final checking/referencing for the last time tomorrow! :woo:
Reply 5519
Original post by Niki_girl
:wavey: Hi! I'm a History applicant for this year, thanks for sharing your experience, I'm applying to Worcester college, fingers crossed! Balliol looks nice though, you seem pretty set on there :smile:

Hey :smile: Worcester is lovely. Before I looked into what the different colleges were like, I was thinking of applying there.

:eek: that's it, I'm going through my personal statement with a fine tooth-comb to looks for any potential things they could ask for more information on...randomly scared someone who wrote a History book I reference will interview me :tongue:

Haha I wouldn't worry about that too much. I think they purposely avoid quizzing you on stuff you might have memorised from a book in your personal statement. I mentioned State and Revolution by Lenin and was asked about the October Revolution, so there was a connection but it wasn't too direct.

I have to admit I'm dreading the HAT :frown: what have you done this/ last year in terms of preparation? I'm currently trying to learn my driving theory test and start my A2s, as well as having a part-time job :colondollar: therefore I really haven't done much, the exam looks really hard! (Do you know what is considered a "good" score on the HAT? Surely no-one can get 90-100% on something as subjective as this?)

Shamefully, I did absolutely nothing to prepare for the HAT last year (which is probably why I just scraped an interview). This year I'm just going to practice the past papers under timed conditions and just go over a couple of topics to refresh my memory for the essay question.

I'm not sure what they consider a good score, but I would guess it to be 70+. You need 50 for interview (although I guess that could also depend on the number of candidates getting over 50).

Thanks for sharing your experience (btw, my friend visited Christchurch on an open day and said much the same thing...) GOOD LUCK FOR THE HAT :yep: I really hope to see everyone on here in December :biggrin:

Good luck to you too and I'll hopefully see you in December.

Latest

Trending

Trending