The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ashfaaace

Original post by Ashfaaace
Hey guys, just wanted to ask when are you all sending off your UCAS applications? (If you haven't sent them off already that is)
I'm planning to send mine on the 6th/7th October (after I take my UKCAT exam) but I don't know if that's maybe leaving it all a little too last minute? I know the deadline is the 15th but everyone seems to be sending them off now..
6th/7th should be fine :smile: Although remember that when you press "send" then the application doesn't go straight to the universities, it just goes to your school. Your school add the predicted grades and reference and then send it on. Thing is that bit can take some time, because school's are like that. I'd have thought a week would be fine, but you might want to check with them.
With the deadline being quite close, if you have any PS reviewed then you can use our PS reviewing service :smile:
Original post by fluteflute
6th/7th should be fine :smile: Although remember that when you press "send" then the application doesn't go straight to the universities, it just goes to your school. Your school add the predicted grades and reference and then send it on. Thing is that bit can take some time, because school's are like that. I'd have thought a week would be fine, but you might want to check with them.

So does my school have to send the application before the 15th? Would I be rejecting if my school didn't add my reference by then?

Does anyone know when Oxford and other universities tend to start replying?
Original post by Niki_girl
Hi guys, been a while since my last post,

Supposed to send my UCAS form off today but my school said my qualification dates and date for EPQ results were wrong, and I apparently put "No" instead of "Yes" to recieving info by post.

Spent ages sorting it out and finally celebrated being able to send it all off.:rolleyes:

Got a message saying my qualifcation dates are all wrong, and it turns out I was right about everything all along, especially as the UCAS form actually said "I do NOT want to recieve information by post - YES/NO"...

I now have no idea what to do. I already paid/ sent earlier today. The school messed my details up (they made me change the qualifcation dates to 06/2011, even though I KNEW it was supposed to be August) :frown:

The school have sent me an email apologising, but I don't know what to do? If I change it, will any universities have already looked at it? </3 Will they be angry that it looks like I'm randomly changing qualification dates (it might look dodgy?)

So unhappy :frown:, particularly because the UCAS lady at our school shouted at me when I suggested she may be wrong (I had read the applicants info. the night before, and knew what date I should be putting) and I've spent so long changing stupid little details round on my form because the people at my school seem to not know what they're doing....

Today has been the most horrible day of my life, all of the disappointment and waiting, and hope and finally thinking I'd finished with all of this.....I thought I'd only feel this let down when I actually got a rejection or something..............I genuinely feel like giving up with UCAS right now.

I was really looking forward to posting in here later today when I'd sent everything off :'(

I know that you got this sorted, but for future reference, if there is a genuine mistake with your application that wasn't your fault, it is possible for your school to contact the universities and change it (also I'd imagine even if it was your fault...they just want to help!). For example, the school forgot to enter one of my friend's predicted grades, and then realised, and they were able to contact her 5 choices so that they knew what her predictions should have been. It worked fine, and she actually got 5 offers.
Reply 6044
hey guys just wanted to know, i was gona apply to surrey, sussex and queen mary, also i might be applyin in birmingham but i don't know much about this birmingham?
Original post by Gromit94
So does my school have to send the application before the 15th? Would I be rejecting if my school didn't add my reference by then?

Does anyone know when Oxford and other universities tend to start replying?

The whole thing has to be in by the 15 October deadline, including the reference, although you can leave selecting your other four choices until later if you want. Oxford just don't do deadline extensions, it's worth making sure your school are on the ball if necessary.

Oxford usually reply around late November - which doesn't leave much time between an interview call and an interview!

Other universities can reply at any time. I think I'd had a couple of offers by the time I went for my interview.
Reply 6046
Original post by Festina lente
Other universities can reply at any time. I think I'd had a couple of offers by the time I went for my interview.

That would put a lot of stress and anxiety off my back when going to the interviews.
Original post by Chr0n
That would put a lot of stress and anxiety off my back when going to the interviews.

True. On the contrary, if you received a rejection before the interviews, you would be stressed out even more...
Original post by nightmare91
On the contrary, if you received a rejection before the interviews, you would be stressed out even more...

Or motivated even more. "Right, I've missed my second choice, I have to really kick arse in this interview!"
Reply 6049
Hi there guys, applying to Oxford this year for Italian and English and Worcester.

A few questions...

1. Waiting to see about one appeal for my highers (B in history, due to a slight mistake in timing on my part, but not, I feel, due to a lack of ability. 4 As apart from that) I'm very worried that OXford will see that B if I don't get the appeal and cut me out before interview, which I think is kind of unfair, considering it's (I think) similar in difficulty to AS levels (Although I know very littloe about English exams) yet Oxford doesn't see AS levels. Am I all wrong about this and is this fear unjustified?

2. Doing higher Italian this year, which puts me in a sort of strange position in terms of applying for the Italian course, as highers are below A-Levels in difficulty, yet I'll still have more knowledge of the language than other people applying to do beginners' Italian, which is what I've currently put down on application. I'm assuming this is the right option though?
Reply 6050
Original post by Elvani

Can't give you any hints on this. But as far as I am aware Oxford is more concerned about your predicted grades. I have heard of a few successfull applicants with a B on GCSES or AS? and a prediction of A*AA who were successfull.

Original post by Elvani

I don't think Oxford would take it as a bad sign that you are interested in your subject :wink:
Original post by flywithemma
I know that you got this sorted, but for future reference, if there is a genuine mistake with your application that wasn't your fault, it is possible for your school to contact the universities and change it (also I'd imagine even if it was your fault...they just want to help!). For example, the school forgot to enter one of my friend's predicted grades, and then realised, and they were able to contact her 5 choices so that they knew what her predictions should have been. It worked fine, and she actually got 5 offers.

Good to know :tongue: I had a random image of all 5 of my choices deciding to get confused & angry at my incorrect qualification dates! Glad that the details aren't completely unchangeable in case of error!

:s-smilie: I really hope my form is sorted now, I put the correct dates in and saved it online, but it still has the pay/send option avaliable, which worries me as I've already done that? Hopefully it's just because my form is still with my referee and has not yet been properly sent off! Am going to check again on monday :/ to make sure everything is fine.

:rolleyes: Thanks for your continued words of encouragement/advice!
Reply 6052
Am going to check again on monday :/ to make sure everything is fine.

And contact UCAS in case it's not.
careers teacher still hasn't linked my application to the school :facepalm2:

internal deadline is 30th sept, apparently :moon:
Original post by Chr0n
And contact UCAS in case it's not.

Oh, shall I phone(?) them as well? I didn't think of that! Oh god, I really hope it's all going to go through all right :s-smilie:
Reply 6055
Oh, shall I phone(?) them as well? I didn't think of that! Oh god, I really hope it's all going to go through all right :s-smilie:

I would just wait till Monday and phone then if it's not alright.
Yeah my form was supposed to be ALL GONE by today but my teacher hasn't done anything -.- annoyed!
Original post by such_a_lady

Original post by such_a_lady
Yeah my form was supposed to be ALL GONE by today but my teacher hasn't done anything -.- annoyed!

I seem to be making semi-major changes to my Personal Statement every few days. Not good when I'm submitting it next week!
Hey all,

I am considering applying to Oxford to study History of Art, however I am really unsure whether I should because I feel that my AS results are not up to scratch. Generally I did quite well, but the subjects I am studying may be deemed as 'soft'

For AS I got:

Art A
Photography A
Media Studies A
Film Studies C (retaking my exam in January to hopefully obtain a higher grade)

please could you give me your honest thoughts :smile:
Original post by laurenisobel

Original post by laurenisobel
Hey all,

I am considering applying to Oxford to study History of Art, however I am really unsure whether I should because I feel that my AS results are not up to scratch. Generally I did quite well, but the subjects I am studying may be deemed as 'soft'

For AS I got:

Art A
Photography A
Media Studies A
Film Studies C (retaking my exam in January to hopefully obtain a higher grade)

please could you give me your honest thoughts :smile:
Those grades are absolutely fine :smile: Obviously the C isn't ideal, but it's a fourth subject and I don't think Film Studies is particularly related to Art... and AS results are just one of many factors Oxford look at.

Your AS subjects aren't very "academic", but that may not be a problem, as long as Oxford count Media Studies as demonstrating essay writing skills.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending