The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ray of Light
10th October. Would they just have my application until I did my LNAT then?

They'll get your application when your school sends it in, but I assume they will wait to start considering everything until they have the LNAT information, i.e. after the LNAT Oxford deadline which has moved forward to 20th October this year. (Deadline for the UCAS application is still 15th October.)
Original post by lozvegas
Hey guys! I'm also wondering if one of my subjects is too "soft".

I got 9A*s and 2As at GCSE, 4As at AS in English lit, french, history and drama. I am dropping French this year. Not sure of my predicted grades apart from in English where I am predicted an A*.

I am applying for Eng Lit and Lang at Keble.

Is Drama too soft?

If you genuinely enjoy Drama and it compliments your love or fascination for English, then continue with it and it would be no real problem. Remember- general studies is the only one they won't accept. Soft and Hard subjects are of little relevance! History is a highly academic subject and Drama is more creative- brilliant combination, I say!

Good luck!
If you genuinely enjoy Drama and it compliments your love or fascination for English, then continue with it and it would be no real problem. Remember- general studies is the only one they won't accept. Soft and Hard subjects are of little relevance! History is a highly academic subject and Drama is more creative- brilliant combination, I say!

Good luck!

Thank you! Do you know of many people who have received an offer from Oxford with Drama?

It is considered to be less academic yes. If you were keeping on 4 at A2 then it wouldn't be an issue. Your GCSEs are really good, so even if you do Drama then you still have a good chance of getting in, but my advice would be to drop Drama and keep French, which looks much, much better.

I'm really worried that I won't get an A in French though, I got 86% which isn't that high :/ I don't want to jeopardise getting into Warwick or Nottingham and get a B just because I did French for Oxford.
Thank you! Do you know of many people who have received an offer from Oxford with Drama?

I'm really worried that I won't get an A in French though, I got 86% which isn't that high :/ I don't want to jeopardise getting into Warwick or Nottingham and get a B just because I did French for Oxford.

It's a different course but this student I talked to at the maths open day got in with Maths, Further Maths and Drama
Reply 6084
Hey everyone, this question has probably been asked, but I didn't look through the whole thread!
I want to do French at Lincoln college (any other potential Lincoln-ers out there? :smile: ) But I got AAAB (B for Psychology which I have now dropped) at AS level, 93% in French.
I got 7A*s 4A's at GCSE which I know is pretty average for Oxford. Do you think my B will hinder my chances?
Also anyone got any advice for applying for French? :smile:
Reply 6085
Original post by Dutcher
Hey everyone, this question has probably been asked, but I didn't look through the whole thread!
I want to do French at Lincoln college (any other potential Lincoln-ers out there? :smile: ) But I got AAAB (B for Psychology which I have now dropped) at AS level, 93% in French.
I got 7A*s 4A's at GCSE which I know is pretty average for Oxford. Do you think my B will hinder my chances?

We don't know the quality of the applicants, so time will tell if the B is a real issue. Your GCSEs are more than fine for Oxford, so definitely apply. Oxford don't see UMS so get the 93% mentioned in your reference if you can.

I know someone who got into oxford history with drama BTEC as one of their A-levels, but they had 3 other subjects.
Original post by Dutcher

Your grades are fine: now just ace the LAT and the interview :smile:

I know someone who got in for French with 4A*s and a few As at GCSE and AAAB (B in Philosophy) at AS.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6088
Original post by rdsnell
We don't know the quality of the applicants, so time will tell if the B is a real issue. Your GCSEs are more than fine for Oxford, so definitely apply. Oxford don't see UMS so get the 93% mentioned in your reference if you can.

Thanks a lot! And that's good advice, i'll try and persuade my teacher to slip it in the reference :biggrin:

I don't know anyone who has, but I don't have knowledge of people who have graduated at Oxford. But, I wouldn't worry if I were you. Drama is like many other creative subjects like film, art, media, music- and I'm sure many people have graduated with them at Oxford.
Reply 6090
Username: mysterd
Subject: Medicine
GCSE: 10A*s
AS/IB: Predicted Grades dunnow.
College: Teddy Hall
Notes: Big Man Ting innit.
Reply 6091
Original post by Ray of Light
10th October. Would they just have my application until I did my LNAT then?

Yep. And then when they have both your LNAT and UCAS application, then they look at them together.
question guys: Are you including/did you include all your modules when putting your A levels into UCAS?
Original post by medbh4805
question guys: Are you including/did you include all your modules when putting your A levels into UCAS?

I put my AS level module grades (e.g, A or B) by each unit title, but didn't put UMS - my teacher seemed to think this was the right thing to do.

For Example;

Biology AS (OCR)

Practical Skills A

Cells, Exchange and Transport B

Food, Biodiversity and Health A
also, just done what I thought would be the final draft of my PS:

Your statement is 1 line(s) over the 47 limit, based on the preview.

fml
Original post by Niki_girl
I put my AS level module grades (e.g, A or B) by each unit title, but didn't put UMS - my teacher seemed to think this was the right thing to do.

For Example;

Biology AS (OCR)

Practical Skills A

Cells, Exchange and Transport B

Food, Biodiversity and Health A

Yeah, that's what I thought would be the right thing to do, and a lot of universities seem to be saying they would take them into consideration etc. Bristol says they want to see AS grades, and as my school doesn't certificate AS grades, I think I have to include them. And yet my school is insisting I leave them out :confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dutcher

The B shouldn't be too detrimental if the rest of your application is strong, especially as you dropped it. What are you predicted?

The GCSE's are fine. I got 5 A*s 4 A's and I am still applying, so yours are fine. :smile:

Get your 93% mentioned on your reference, as someone above you has said.

I don't know. I am tempted to as I have some good module results. Are you?
Original post by KingMessi
I don't know. I am tempted to as I have some good module results. Are you?

I want to for the reasons above. My school is trying to make me leave them out though :s-smilie:
I want to for the reasons above. My school is trying to make me leave them out though :s-smilie:

Ah right. Why are they trying to do that?!?

Latest

Trending

Trending