The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by medbh4805
Virtually all the history teachers in my school are extremely inappropriate. A middle aged male history teacher should not be advising young girls how to scope out a husband :colonhash:

and yes, :sexface:

Well, you'd have to be somewhat insane and eccentric to devote your life to things that happened before you were even born anyway. And yes, i'm implying that you're insane and eccentric :mmm: mwahaha

Although, i must say, gold-digger classes are a rather interesting new development to education!
Original post by 007dunlop
I'm not applying to English, but I do English Literature A-level, and if you want to read Marlowe, go for Dr.Faustus...a really interesting play with the odd suprisingly contemporary issue (like one of the characters' concept of hell) for the time it was written.

I've always wanted to read Faustus - and, now I come to think of it, 'The Picture of Dorian Grey'. Added to a list that increases by the day. A trip to my local library tomorrow, methinks. :pierre: :holmes:
Original post by manic_fuzz
Well, you'd have to be somewhat insane and eccentric to devote your life to things that happened before you were even born anyway. And yes, i'm implying that you're insane and eccentric :mmm: mwahaha

I read Kierkegaard for pleasure/personal interest when I was fourteen :lolwut: I think I might have been then.

Fortunately I moved beyond my extreme Christian ascetic stage and dived full on into the debauchery and licentiousness of the classical Greeks and Romans :ahee:

Although, i must say, gold-digger classes are a rather interesting new development to education!

indeed :colonhash:
that earns you an extra :sexface:

Ooh! It seems that we're collecting " :sexface: "!
Ooh! It seems that we're collecting " :sexface: "!

Is that a way of calling me a slut? :cry2:

:sexface: :lol:
I read Kierkegaard for pleasure/personal interest when I was fourteen :lolwut: I think I might have been then.

Fortunately I moved beyond my extreme Christian ascetic stage and dived full on into the debauchery and licentiousness of the classical Greeks and Romans :ahee:

*Googles Kierkegaard* Oh... he seems... interesting :lolwut:

I don't think a passion for classics (especially those pesky Romans!) means that you're any less insane considering all the 'questionable' things that they did :wink:

Is that a way of calling me a slut?

Your words, not mine. :sexface:
*Googles Kierkegaard* Oh... he seems... interesting :lolwut:

I don't think a passion for classics (especially those pesky Romans!) means that you're any less insane considering all the 'questionable' things that they did :wink:

Aye, tis the truth. I've recently taken to reading some rather salacious pop history books of the Roman Empire...even our a level set author Tacitus is not afraid to spare the detail when it comes to the antics of dear old Agrippina :sexface:

this is also reminding me that I have yet to watch Carry on Cleo...

Your words, not mine. :sexface:

:ashamed2:

:sexface:
Original post by nightmare91
I'm applying for E&M... So the chances are rather low (30%).. What about you?

edit: oh just saw you're applying for english, that's also really competitive...
Original post by KingMessi
E&M? Those chances are no worse than my course (English Language and Literature), which was one in five last year...and I've kind of adopted the stance that, with Oxford, my chances are no worse than anyone else, because of the high standard of all the applicants....:colondollar:

The E&M success rate was 7.6% in 2010. English was 17.1%. :tongue:

Source:Official Oxford website

I've put together more of a breakdown of the figures at different stages of the application process that might be of interest to some: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Asg7Ze9sc7PfdFlfdjdKWXdQNU1ZVElSTGRUME9kbkE&hl=en_GB#gid=0
(edited 12 years ago)
Oddly enough, I totally agree with you. Pride and Prejudice was okay, but....Jane Austen writes very well but I just can't get overly worked up about her plotlines or characters. Similarly, I loved Wuthering Heights; okay, he's an unpleasant piece of work but I found Heathcliffe brilliant. I think I need to see more plays, but I'm going to The Tempest next week so that's a start, and hopefully I can build on that before the (possible) interview. I wish I had spent more time going to the theatre earlier! I have a primary reading list of ten texts, of which I've currently read two, so...I'm doing fairly averagely. I sympathise with being busy at school, last year I had no time whatsoever. My English teacher is doing Extension classes to be fair, and has invited me in, which is brilliant of her, I just wish they were more frequent! Ah well...

Yeah, that's exactly my problem with her. Her characters and plot are just insanely dull; I found myself battling through the book totally disinterested in what would become of Elizabeth and Darcy (maybe that's because I knew they'd end up together, though?).
I studied The Tempest years ago; I don't think I liked it very much :colondollar: I always remember the line "Hell is empty, and all the devils are here!"
Well I wouldn't fret too much, you have another two months or so to plough through the rest of them, which is plenty of time :smile: That's great! I'm sure being able to get back into that academic frame of mind will be a big help.

I've always wanted to read Faustus - and, now I come to think of it, 'The Picture of Dorian Grey'. Added to a list that increases by the day. A trip to my local library tomorrow, methinks. :pierre: :holmes:

I totally recommend Dorian Gray; it's a wonderful novel :biggrin: I read the shorter, 13 chapter version, but didn't feel it was at all lacking. Definitely worth a read if you want to explore a more poetic style of prose. Equally, "The Bell Jar" is a wonderfully lyrical read, which I would once again completely recommend.
Original post by hannahwhelan
Yeah, that's exactly my problem with her. Her characters and plot are just insanely dull; I found myself battling through the book totally disinterested in what would become of Elizabeth and Darcy (maybe that's because I knew they'd end up together, though?).
I studied The Tempest years ago; I don't think I liked it very much :colondollar: I always remember the line "Hell is empty, and all the devils are here!"
Well I wouldn't fret too much, you have another two months or so to plough through the rest of them, which is plenty of time :smile: That's great! I'm sure being able to get back into that academic frame of mind will be a big help.

I totally recommend Dorian Gray; it's a wonderful novel :biggrin: I read the shorter, 13 chapter version, but didn't feel it was at all lacking. Definitely worth a read if you want to explore a more poetic style of prose. Equally, "The Bell Jar" is a wonderfully lyrical read, which I would once again completely recommend.

I think that I felt exactly the same, especially as I read Pride and Prejudice immediately after Emma, and I kind of thought after those two that once you'd read one Austen you'd read them all - however, later on I shall read Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey to see if I am proved wrong.

Yes, that line is rather memorable...I really enjoyed The Tempest...

I know, it just all seems very daunting right now, especially the ELAT, which I'm very worried about - it all seems harder the second time. :s-smilie:

I will start on Dorian Grey in that case after I've finished the book I'm reading at the moment....:smile:
Are you allowed resits appyling for Oxford? My tutor mentioned in my reference that I intend to retake one chem module, is this looked down on? I got a B but was very close to an A :mad2:
Reply 6571
applying for ppe at pembroke.
sent off my application today :smile:))))000fjfgjfdajgffsop not really hoping to get in but it'd be nice haha
have you guys put your module grades down?
I sent my application yesterday. Now the waiting begins....
Original post by hash007
Are you allowed resits appyling for Oxford? My tutor mentioned in my reference that I intend to retake one chem module, is this looked down on? I got a B but was very close to an A :mad2:

You are allowed resits yep.
Original post by <3 inbetweener D
have you guys put your module grades down?

I've put my module grades down! And I've asked my referee to mention my high UMS marks. :smile:
Original post by Larriant
I've put my module grades down! And I've asked my referee to mention my high UMS marks. :smile:

Ahhh I don't know what to do! Did you get all A's? I'd definitely put them down but I got a B in one maths module so I don't know if it's just better not to put them at all...
okay majorly confused... just read on one of the threads that you have to write any admissions tests on your ucas... is this true?! my school hasn't said this and I thought it was kind of obvious you're taking the test if you've registered it... need to submit mine by tonight and i don't know what to doooo
Original post by TheatreLovely
Hehe exactly the same thing happened to me, but luckily mine was way too long, so I could make all the changes suggested by the TSR Help Service without offending my referee (who is very scary...)

Hah yeah, she's going to check it all again when I finally send it off tomorrow... And I'd feel like I'd offended her ha. Plus she still has to write my reference :colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending