The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BJack
If you're worried about competition and you get to the interview stage, you could always do what some laterally-thinking E&M applicant(s) did at Merton three years ago and put a notice up saying the interviews are over, thereby encouraging your "opponents" to go home prematurely.

I would never do something as evil as that!!! :angelblush: *cunning plan smile*

E&Mers! Hmph! Were the girls? men would never think of such things.

p.s. WHERE DID YOU HEAR THIS FROM?
Original post by Brand New Eyes
or yknow... push them infront of a bus! or something along those lines :smile: (we must sound like mentally unstable)

indeed, most ever so far in the school... teachers just think we all have a chance apparently. Whatcha applying for?

:wink: actually i much prefer your idea, you push, i'll drive? :biggrin:

Medicine :smile: though i'm not sure if i'll really apply to Oxford, it's just that it seems so perfect, and i love the libraries and languages centre and all (because tbch, i don't want to just be completely doing science for 6 years and nothing else)

How about you? :biggrin:
Original post by LtCommanderData
In my further maths class (of 4 people), only 1 failed to get an A* in the lower 6th, so he retook C4 in January and got over 90% raw marks but still didn't get the A* so he's retaking it again this summer.

The vectors are tricky, but once you get your ahead around it the questions become pretty routine - it's worth getting to understand them properly. Especially making sure you understand that if you're looking at an angle (including perpendicular/parallel) you're only going to be using the direction vector - getting used to which parts of the vector forms you're using makes it a lot easier.

I think C4 integration becomes easier once you stop being scared of it - it's not that hard, and even if you don't see what to do straight away it's just a case of going to yourself "well, I know I can do this integration, I just need to figure out exactly what approach to take" and just be systematic about it. C4 integration feels pretty trivial now that I'm doing FP3, but I think that's largely confidence. Obviously confidence comes with time, but if you can try and boost your confidence now that could be helpful

I'm not looking forward to Fmaths at all :frown:

But as for integration, I know how to do them all, I just don't know which method to use! Any tips on how to be sure?

Vectors...oh my god, vectors. :cry2: I've only just let myself look at the chapter today, been putting it off forever....
Original post by Bright Lights
I'm not looking forward to Fmaths at all :frown:

But as for integration, I know how to do them all, I just don't know which method to use! Any tips on how to be sure?

Vectors...oh my god, vectors. :cry2: I've only just let myself look at the chapter today, been putting it off forever....

If you're not sure it's substitution.

well it might be parts but substitution is the most fun so do that
Reply 944
I would never do something as evil as that!!! :angelblush: *cunning plan smile*

E&Mers! Hmph! Were the girls? men would never think of such things.

p.s. WHERE DID YOU HEAR THIS FROM?

Heard it first here. I was there for interviews after this happened and didn't hear anything about it at the time. I suppose they didn't want to give us ideas....

I only know one 2nd year Merton E&Mist tangentially and didn't meet any at interview (our dates didn't coincide) so I can't help you re genders.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by manic_fuzz
:wink: actually i much prefer your idea, you push, i'll drive? :biggrin:

Medicine :smile: though i'm not sure if i'll really apply to Oxford, it's just that it seems so perfect, and i love the libraries and languages centre and all (because tbch, i don't want to just be completely doing science for 6 years and nothing else)

How about you? :biggrin:

I was just about to edit my comment too! Living the dream... lindsay lohan style. Sounds like a plan seeing as I can't drive! and I'm a pusher Cady, I'm a pusher.

Ah, the ancient art of healing, slash what is today known as slicing people open and poking around O_o

:smile: PPE I think, although still considering straight Econ. We shalst see! Lectures + Labs 24/7? You can always be in societies and shizzle... 6 YEARS ZOMG *major freakout* that's twice as long as my course.

language centre? ... I did not know about THAT
I was just about to edit my comment too! Living the dream... lindsay lohan style. Sounds like a plan seeing as I can't drive! and I'm a pusher Cady, I'm a pusher.

Ah, the ancient art of healing, slash what is today known as slicing people open and poking around O_o

:smile: PPE I think, although still considering straight Econ. We shalst see! Lectures + Labs 24/7? You can always be in societies and shizzle... 6 YEARS ZOMG *major freakout* that's twice as long as my course.

language centre? ... I did not know about THAT

Lindsay Lohan style :laugh: can't we go for Paris Hilton style? then if we get taken to prison for these murders then we get to walk out on a red carpet :wink:
:| oh my, when you put it that way... though i want to go into paediatrics, not so sure on surgery, though next week for workex on one of the days i have to spend it completely in theatre, for cardiology... :eek:

:wink: oh, so are you going to be our next Maggie Thatcher ?? :laugh: Yeah, it's long, but worth it in the long run i feel, and tbf, if you're thinking of Oxford, you'd have to kind of enjoy learning :wink:

:biggrin: Yeeesss, if i get in i will definitely be hoping to leave with a couple of language proficiency certificates :smile:
Original post by BJack
Heard it first here. I was there for interviews after this happened and didn't hear anything about it at the time. I suppose they didn't want to give us ideas....

I only know one 2nd year Merton E&Mist tangentially and didn't meet any at interview (our dates didn't coincide) so I can't help you re genders.

Haha, god some people eh. Indeed, now that its out there... :eek:

You'd think the TSA would've knocked some logic into them! It's so simple it's brilliant.

Oh! So are you an E&M-er? Tell me the worst thing about it!? :biggrin:
Lindsay Lohan style :laugh: can't we go for Paris Hilton style? then if we get taken to prison for these murders then we get to walk out on a red carpet :wink:
:| oh my, when you put it that way... though i want to go into paediatrics, not so sure on surgery, though next week for workex on one of the days i have to spend it completely in theatre, for cardiology... :eek:

:wink: oh, so are you going to be our next Maggie Thatcher ?? :laugh: Yeah, it's long, but worth it in the long run i feel, and tbf, if you're thinking of Oxford, you'd have to kind of enjoy learning :wink:

:biggrin: Yeeesss, if i get in i will definitely be hoping to leave with a couple of language proficiency certificates :smile:

But... paris is OLD now, okay granted she just turned 30 but... OLD, and blonde (no offense meant). But Lohan is ginger! :smile: ... lol cant believe she has friends. Although, she does go down alot more than Hilton... hmmm... conspiracy!?

Aww children! oh em gee... paed = children coz yknow phil = love... peadophile = children lover? Gotta love latin... there I go going off on a tangent again.

Hah oh yeah! They do that at Warwick aswell... you have to pay extra though :frown: So guessing it'll be £9300 a year for you!

Maggie... I'M NOT A GIRL! HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST SUCH A THING! joking I am. I doubt a woman will ever be PM in the near future tbh. Thatcher got in by accident! She even found it hard to become an MP. So the chances me being PM are 1/infinity :smile:

(Sometimes I just make myself laugh with my maths jokes... shame I'm the only one :frown: ... I should be on stage!)
Reply 949
Haha, god some people eh. Indeed, now that its out there... :eek:

You'd think the TSA would've knocked some logic into them! It's so simple it's brilliant.

Oh! So are you an E&M-er? Tell me the worst thing about it!? :biggrin:

If I was an E&Mist, I'd have been at interview when this happened. Like I suggested, I wasn't, so you can deduce that I'm not an E&Mist. Maybe some practice is needed before the TSA. :p:

The college I've ended up at doesn't even offer E&M so I'm afraid as far as insights into E&M are concerned, I'm completely useless. There are some PPEists hiding somewhere near here and they would be able to give you a much better insight than I can, since my impression of PPE is basically "reading?!" :nooo:
(edited 12 years ago)
But... paris is OLD now, okay granted she just turned 30 but... OLD, and blonde (no offense meant). But Lohan is ginger! :smile: ... lol cant believe she has friends. Although, she does go down alot more than Hilton... hmmm... conspiracy!?

Aww children! oh em gee... paed = children coz yknow phil = love... peadophile = children lover? Gotta love latin... there I go going off on a tangent again.

Hah oh yeah! They do that at Warwick aswell... you have to pay extra though :frown: So guessing it'll be £9300 a year for you!

Maggie... I'M NOT A GIRL! HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST SUCH A THING! joking I am. I doubt a woman will ever be PM in the near future tbh. Thatcher got in by accident! She even found it hard to become an MP. So the chances me being PM are 1/infinity :smile:

(Sometimes I just make myself laugh with my maths jokes... shame I'm the only one :frown: ... I should be on stage!)

:wink: i see where you're coming from, but i advise we stay away from the drugs!
and yes! :biggrin: i have the oxford course books on latin... for a reason which is before me, i prefer french though, and russian!
and that's okay, i get an extra £800 for the first for years for whatever university i go to because there's a charity thing linked to our school which supports anyone who actually goes to university...
you do realise there's like a pink girl sign next to your username? :wink: obviously you didn't :laugh:
awwwww, well you never know, change is always happening! don't lose hope :tongue:
:laugh: i'm not sure an audience want to sit an listen to bad maths, but hey-hoe, can't knock it til you've tried it :smile:
:wink: i see where you're coming from, but i advise we stay away from the drugs!
and yes! :biggrin: i have the oxford course books on latin... for a reason which is before me, i prefer french though, and russian!
and that's okay, i get an extra £800 for the first for years for whatever university i go to because there's a charity thing linked to our school which supports anyone who actually goes to university...
you do realise there's like a pink girl sign next to your username? :wink: obviously you didn't :laugh:
awwwww, well you never know, change is always happening! don't lose hope :tongue:
:laugh: i'm not sure an audience want to sit an listen to bad maths, but hey-hoe, can't knock it til you've tried it :smile:

Even Cameron did drugs... its the way of life!
Ahw lucky! :smile:

... oh... no.... i did not know that... shhh I'm new... *homer simpson : doh* yours has a blue sign... and from my knowledge of austin powers films... that would suggest you're male... who... likes mean girls? *damn!* my gender radar is off today.

and you just said aww! WHAT KIND OF GUY SAYS AWWW!?

Well... you've obviously never been to a stand up maths conference :borat: not that I have or anything...
Even Cameron did drugs... its the way of life!
Ahw lucky! :smile:

... oh... no.... i did not know that... shhh I'm new... *homer simpson : doh* yours has a blue sign... and from my knowledge of austin powers films... that would suggest you're male... who... likes mean girls? *damn!* my gender radar is off today.

and you just said aww! WHAT KIND OF GUY SAYS AWWW!?

Well... you've obviously never been to a stand up maths conference :borat: not that I have or anything...

the way of life, no no dear, i think you've mistaken it with the path to death :wink: :laugh: :laugh:
...eumm...eumm... amazing guys i guess? :biggrin:

no i haven't :frown: i've been to a stand up chemistry conference at school though :wink: the scientists blew up a huge balloon and made us ice-cream out of liquid nitrogen or something :tongue: jealous? :wink:
Original post by BJack
If I was an E&Mist, I'd have been at interview when this happened. Like I suggested, I wasn't, so you can deduce that I'm not an E&Mist. Maybe some practice is needed before the TSA. :p:

The college I've ended up at doesn't even offer E&M so I'm afraid as far as insights into E&M are concerned, I'm completely useless. There are some PPEists hiding somewhere near here and they would be able to give you a much better insight than I can, since my impression of PPE is basically "reading?!" :nooo:

You could have been at another college at a different time... or something.

:smile: right-o! hey! that's my impression of PPE too! Philosophy: Russell's ideas on existentialism and epistemology :mfing: times like these I wish they was a *hanging oneself smiley*

cant seem to find any of them lurking around TSR -_-

So what do you do then?
a stand up maths conference

Is this anything to do with Matt Parker?
the way of life, no no dear, i think you've mistaken it with the path to death :wink: :laugh: :laugh:
...eumm...eumm... amazing guys i guess? :biggrin:

no i haven't :frown: i've been to a stand up chemistry conference at school though :wink: the scientists blew up a huge balloon and made us ice-cream out of liquid nitrogen or something :tongue: jealous? :wink:

Not all drugs are bad. I think you mean the recreational drugs, and in California, they're legal so they cant be that *satan leading you into the path to the under...world?* Although, they are AMERICAN.

hahahaha. So balloons, ice cream... sounds like a clown at a birthday party! xP
Well at maths... we got to listen to hours of prime numbers and knitting patterns and... and... :frown: I think I lose on this front?

But we made ice cream in chem too! and it was strawberry. And we did that thing where you sift flour over a fire... it. was. bloody. awesome... and scary :s

so not jel
Is this anything to do with Matt Parker?

Yep he was there! <3 I love him!!! :biggrin:
Yep he was there! &lt;3 I love him!!! :biggrin:

Yeah, he's awesome! I'm going to be seeing something he's in on monday :biggrin:
Yeah, he's awesome! I'm going to be seeing something he's in on monday :biggrin:

another maths conference? :O keen? Guess you're applying for maths then :smile:

p.s. holy ****! you did 8 maths modules... I only got to do 3 :frown: stupid school! only FP1,2 and 3 and another decision for you! *is jealous*
Not all drugs are bad. I think you mean the recreational drugs, and in California, they're legal so they cant be that *satan leading you into the path to the under...world?* Although, they are AMERICAN.

hahahaha. So balloons, ice cream... sounds like a clown at a birthday party! xP
Well at maths... we got to listen to hours of prime numbers and knitting patterns and... and... :frown: I think I lose on this front?

But we made ice cream in chem too! and it was strawberry. And we did that thing where you sift flour over a fire... it. was. bloody. awesome... and scary :s

so not jel

oh yes, i'm just talking about hardcore drugs, of cooourse we need medicines... and... kind of... need... alcohol :mmm:
oh that sounds... exhilarating, all i do for maths is sit at the back of the class and teach myself ¬¬

oooo, i think the funniest experiment we've done was when our teacher blew up a jelly-baby... it looked like a firework :laugh:

pfft, don't lie, you're jelling so badly that you're going to look like this...

Latest

Trending

Trending