The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by anyone_can_fly

Ah right. Non-evolution people are annoying: I have two friends who if they're told that something is more than 6000 years ago, they'll write it down as "8000 years" ago. It's stupid, the Bible doesn't make a lot of sense when taken literally: although I'm religious, it's perfectly possible to believe that there might be a bit/a lot of metaphor in there. Saying you don't believe in evolution is like saying you don't believe in gravity or something.

Our school doesn't have many wee frees. We've got the guitar-playing "Jesus is cool!" evangelicals who have there services in the nearby cinema instead. And then speak in tongues. (And if one of the friends I was talking about in the last paragraph sees this, I'm so dead. But it's true.)

Yeah, I'm a practicing Catholic. People seem to assume all Catholics are sex-obsessed gay-hating conservatives. In Uist, the Catholics are the most liberal and the only Darwin fans to boot. I see sciences as the great explainer but I can understand why religion gives people a moral foundation. Plus church is important in giving people a sense of community. Its when people claim the Bible as a biology textbook which bugs me - the apostles provide a fundamentally decent way to live your life, to the Wee Frees, I say, leave it at that...
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Well, they rely on STEP to weed people out. I don't know how the courses compare with each other, really - the impression I've got from reading online things is that they're both intense and very hard work, and Cambridge seems to have more mechanics/physics stuff than Oxford.

I do Advanced Highers: Scots are only asked for AAB :cool: . They aren't raising it next year, which is nice of them.

Pure maths! :love: Well, I've not started preparing yet - more worried about my May exams at the moment. But once we start the next year in June, and we get free periods, my plan is to dedicate a particular slot or two to maths stuff, starting with MAT preparation. And I'm going to do a big maths read in the summer holidays. However, I do have an appalling first draft of a personal statement completed.

Glad to hear everyone's nice! :biggrin:

Good luck with everything then :smile: Yeah you sure have enough time to prepare, you'll be fine :smile: I mean I only started to prepare in August so :wink:
Original post by dnumberwang
That only leaves you 2 months, and you miss all the department open days. you can't be serious

At what one point did I say not to go to open days?
Original post by ilovedubstep
I think most people know what grades they will probably get. Exams are only a month or so away.

Fair enough. What I will say is that it is always difficult to pre-emptively guess what you will get in written exams like history. :smile:
Original post by Deep456
At what one point did I say not to go to open days?

I think August is still quite late to be starting to prepare for this stuff though
I think August is still quite late to be starting to prepare for this stuff though

No by all means prepare. What I am saying is don't decide you are applying before you get your results. You may not do aswell as you had hoped and it may come as a disappointment. Ofcourse, I very much hope you do.

I am potentially reapplying and I am speaking for experience, that is all.
Reply 106
oh nostalgia... I remember finding the 2011 thread last year and going through the whole, hectic, nerve-wracking experience. Good luck to you all and my best piece of advice to all prospective applicants is aim high but don't put so much pressure on yourself to get in, it really screwed me over last year.
Original post by vms
oh nostalgia... I remember finding the 2011 thread last year and going through the whole, hectic, nerve-wracking experience. Good luck to you all and my best piece of advice to all prospective applicants is aim high but don't put so much pressure on yourself to get in, it really screwed me over last year.

This is exactly what I am saying.
Wow, I don't think our thread appeared until May! It's nice to be able to read through one of these threads without the anxiety of the impending application process :biggrin:

Original post by irina793
Hi guys!

Anyone here finished the cover game on the prospectus?

There's a game on your prospectus!?! I might have to pick one of those up just to play the cover game!

Original post by tommy atkins 1842

I'm going to be a mature student; very worried about the whole process if I'm honest. On the bright side at least i have experience, having crashed out of the whole process 15 years ago.

At my interviews, I met a few mature applicants. They were all the most confident, and - well, mature. It was hanging out with those guys that made me think "damn, if I'm competing against these guys, I've got no chance!". Obviously this varies, but don't underestimate the advantage you have (or at least is available to you - if you don't draw on your experience etc it won't help!)

Original post by in_vogue
Why does the college interview you and not the department? Surely that doesn't make academic sense? And what's their logic in allocating places on courses to colleges, not individuals generally?

They are staff from your subject at your college, and some interviews are in the department. My mate who applied for Geology had one interview in the college and one in the department, whereas I had 5 interviews all in colleges.

Original post by eliotball
I'm definitely going to be applying! :smile:

Username: eliotball
Subject: Mathematics and Computer Science
College: Magdalene/University College (I think)
AS subjects: Maths (AS in January: 97/100; A2 this year), Further Maths (full course next year), Physics, Politics, EPQ
GCSE: 7 A*s, 5 As

I had a maths & CS interview at Univ, and I thought it was really nice! I got totally lost on the way out though :tongue:
Reply 109
If I get 5A's in my highers I'll definitely apply

Username:mckee1
Subject:PPE
College: University college/Balliol
Standard Grade Results: 6 1's, 2 3's
Highers: Maths, English, Computing, Physics and History
Adv. Higher: History, Physics, Maths? English?
Original post by LtCommanderData
I had a maths & CS interview at Univ, and I thought it was really nice! I got totally lost on the way out though :tongue:

Where are you now? I'm drawn towards to old colleges because it appeals to me to have that lifestyle for a few years. :P
Original post by LtCommanderData
There's a game on your prospectus!?! I might have to pick one of those up just to play the cover game!

It's a word search, all the courses on the front cover and all the colleges on the back. I suppose it makes up for the rather shocking lack of pretty pictures in the prospectus
I ordered a prospectus just to be nosey :colondollar:
Original post by eliotball
Where are you now? I'm drawn towards to old colleges because it appeals to me to have that lifestyle for a few years. :P

I'll be going to Exeter college in October (pending grades, of course :smile: )

I like the old colleges too - I initially applied to Merton college, but was still very pleased to get in to Exeter. I had 2 interviews at Merton, 2 at Exeter, and 1 at Univ. All three are nice

It's a word search, all the courses on the front cover and all the colleges on the back. I suppose it makes up for the rather shocking lack of pretty pictures in the prospectus

A word search, you say...
Original post by soutioirsim
I ordered a prospectus just to be nosey :colondollar:

I'm going to do this too :tongue:
About that prospectus game, look: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/cover_games.html
Apparently, the first person who gets it right, gets a prize. :biggrin: nothing to do with the admission process, though...
Reply 115
Original post by tommy atkins 1842
GCSEs - 5As, 4Bs (it was before you could get an A* - which makes me feel very old indeed)
A Levels - ABB, History, Politics, Ancient History

Course - PPE

College - Worcester

I'm going to be a mature student; very worried about the whole process if I'm honest. On the bright side at least i have experience, having crashed out of the whole process 15 years ago.

Hi I am a mature student with an offer for History starting in October 2011, so have recent admissions experience. Lemme know if I can help.

(they weren't even called GCSEs when I did 'em!)

Edit: oops, just noticed you are going for PPE rather than History so I may not be too much use to you
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by irina793
About that prospectus game, look: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/cover_games.html
Apparently, the first person who gets it right, gets a prize. :biggrin: nothing to do with the admission process, though...

Wouldn't it be cool if the prize was automatic admission? Not the fairest system, but it would be pretty epic. How many words are there to find?
Reply 117
Original post by doloroushazy
hah it's a dog-eat-dog world out there... what is it that draws you to St Johns and/or Exeter?

I think they both have very pretty old buildings, they've certainly got heritage, they're both central, St.John's is very well catered for money wise, while Exeter has that stunning literary reputation, alot of it seemed to be gut instinct though.

There are quite a few i really really like the look of so, i guess open days will be a useful way to double-check, think about some of the others too.
Reply 118
Having a mare deciding whether to apply to Oxy or Cambridge.

Username: Mweh
Subject: A joint honours combination out of English, German & Classics
College: Queen's or Oriel
AS choices: English Lit, French, German, Latin
GCSEs: 9 A*s, 1A

AAAH why is there so much pressure already?!
If you want to apply to PPE, does that mean your personal statement will only apply to PPE at Warwick and Oxford universities (as thats the only places its offered?)

Latest

Trending

Trending