Turn on thread page Beta

What are my career possibilities? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I take Psychology, Theology(also known as RS, also known as Philosophy and Ethics), Sociology, and English Lit/Lang at AS level. I'm probably going to drop English after this year, so I'll come out with an AS in English Lit/Lang, and an A level in Psychology, Sociology and Theology.

I just wondered if anyone could help me out with the possible career paths I could take from this?
    And if there're jobs which suit or look for these subjects, will they require me to go to Uni? And if so, which course?

When we go back after the coming summer holidays everyone is going to be choosing Unis and filling out their UCAS, and I really need to start thinking about whether it's worth paying the new tuition fees to go to Uni. So, obviously, I need to start thinking about my career path and whether Uni is required, and exactly what I want my career path to be. As many suggestions as possible will be helpful, or any sites which will be of use other than the connections site.

Also, I don't want to just go to Uni as something to just fill in time- as I said, I only want to go if it's a requirment for the job.

Thanks

Ps, if you don't have anything useful/productive to say, then don't bother posting; it's a waste of both of our times.

ReputationRep:
    Career possibilities: None. JSA-lacky maybe.
    Short-term: Go to uni, you'll have something to do and work towards for 3 years whilst the job market gets a little better.

But those are the kind of subjects that people take, and then end up at the Tesco Tills, no offence.

ReputationRep:
    Career possibilities: None. JSA-lacky maybe.
    Short-term: Go to uni, you'll have something to do and work towards for 3 years whilst the job market gets a little better.

But those are the kind of subjects that people take, and then end up at the Tesco Tills, no offence.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you dare blame the tuition fees for you not going to uni. Lack of funding is one thing but you won't even notice the change to fees.

As for career options: depends which degree you do. A theology degree will lead into quite different jobs than a psychology one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    Don't you dare blame the tuition fees for you not going to uni. Lack of funding is one thing but you won't even notice the change to fees.

As for career options: depends which degree you do. A theology degree will lead into quite different jobs than a psychology one.
    I was just saying that for me personally, paying for Uni before or after the tuition fees being raised is a struggle, as I'm going to get no help from my parents. And since they've gone up, I don't want to just go to Uni because it 'seems like the best option' without an actual career in mind, (like a lot of people do) if it's not necessary. And then just end up not even using it, which again happens in a fair few circumstances. I wasn't "blaming the tuition fees for me not going to uni"; way to make unnecessary judgements.

ReputationRep:
    IMO, I think that going to a good uni, to study at degree level (nearly any degree will be fine), shows skills beyond the average non-university student. It shows your ability to adapt, your level of independence (both inside and out of education) as well as your motivation to continue learning to a higher level.

As long as after you study your degree, you believe you are capable of presenting yourself well, you'll get into most high-calibre jobs (except medicine, denstistry, veterinary science or architecture or engineering, etc. which all need you to study them at university) I know someone who studied Biomedicine at Kings who is currently in marketing. There are all forms of graduate entry schemes for large firms, have a look around

As for the degree you want to study, pick something you like, it's my plan anyway. I'm going with the flow and if ever I'm unfortunate enough to not get a job, I will mooch off the Government who raised my fees because I cannot get a good job. My problem solved? I think so. (Though ideally, I don't want to do that..)

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.