Superstar6318
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Can anyone tell me about the accomodation at Harcourt Hill Campus and how close it is to town?

I've heard the accomodation is poor, and that many people share a bathroom and that the building is old/boring,rooms are small and people don't really want to mingle/have fun plus the students tend to be Rah's or International :/

I want to study Primary Education.
soullabyrinth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wanna know, too. So please help us out, people! I may accept my offer for Communication, Media and Culture.
teukiechul
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
the actual HH campus is quite nice, although it sort of looks like a weird catholic school. idk. lol.

and it's about 20 minutes on the bus to town. to walk it would take about an hour and a half, it's in an awkward place lol
soullabyrinth
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
About the Harcourt Hill accommodation..there's only 1, right? And do we all have to share a bathroom?? *shudders* I don't think I can do this...

BTW, do we have an option to pick another accommodation/residence? If so, which ones are close to HH?

Thanks!
teukiechul
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i have no idea about the HH accomodation at all, but you can stay in any of the halls of residence and just get the bus there the closest is prbably clivebooth/cheney which is a 40-50 minutes bus ride :P
soullabyrinth
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by teukiechul)
i have no idea about the HH accomodation at all, but you can stay in any of the halls of residence and just get the bus there the closest is prbably clivebooth/cheney which is a 40-50 minutes bus ride :P
Sweet baby Jesus! 40-50 minutes?? No, thank you!

Well, I guess my other option is staying with a host family...could you tell me what the area around HH is called? I tried looking at maps, but I don't get it! Thank you
teukiechul
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by soullabyrinth)
Sweet baby Jesus! 40-50 minutes?? No, thank you!

Well, I guess my other option is staying with a host family...could you tell me what the area around HH is called? I tried looking at maps, but I don't get it! Thank you
directly around the HH campus are HUGE posh houses, fields and a busy road, nothing much else. it'll take about 20-30 minutes to walk to the nearest place with shops, i think there's a little co-op and some other stuff there. but apart from that i have no idea :P
Superstar6318
Rep:
?
Someone told me that there's three bathroom cubicles and three shower cubicles. I had a look online about the accommodation too and the kitchen is tiny! But the rooms are decent sized.

And we have to be catered :/
Spectrum~
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Superstar6318)
Someone told me that there's three bathroom cubicles and three shower cubicles. I had a look online about the accommodation too and the kitchen is tiny! But the rooms are decent sized.

And we have to be catered :/
When I visited on an open day last year this was indeed the case, 3 shower/loo cubicles. I suppose the kitchen is small because it is catered and they figured people wouldnt want to use it as much.
Being catered is perfect for me however as I am too lazy/incapable of cooking decent meals for myself
Superstar6318
Rep:
?
(Original post by Spectrum~)
When I visited on an open day last year this was indeed the case, 3 shower/loo cubicles. I suppose the kitchen is small because it is catered and they figured people wouldnt want to use it as much.
Being catered is perfect for me however as I am too lazy/incapable of cooking decent meals for myself
Did you get to look inside the rooms at all?
teukiechul
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying/ac...s/harcourthill

go to the right had side and click where it says 360 photographs for the bedroom and kitchen
Superstar6318
Rep:
?
(Original post by teukiechul)
http://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying/ac...s/harcourthill

go to the right had side and click where it says 360 photographs for the bedroom and kitchen
cheers. mouse won't let me drag to look around the room though
Spectrum~
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, they look pretty much the same as on the website teukiechul gave
jennifer.re
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The rooms are quite big actually; I slept over there once and we had six people in one room and it wasn't even squished. Last year it was apparently pretty social, and there's a sports centre on site with a pool. I have a few friends who lived there and they didn't complain.
Lupie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I lived there for a year, if you have any specific questions please feel free to ask me!
It's very social, the catering is useful when you can't be bothered to cook but the food isn't the best. you get used to shared showers really quickly, it's no biggie really.
purplebrainz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Whats the nicest halls to stay in? i will hopefully be studying medical science and so would like to be near the life sciences building, altho im a bit of a gym freak, and would like to be near that too... i know the bus pass is free, so not fussed about being far from town...
please advise!!
soullabyrinth
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lupie)
I lived there for a year, if you have any specific questions please feel free to ask me!
It's very social, the catering is useful when you can't be bothered to cook but the food isn't the best. you get used to shared showers really quickly, it's no biggie really.
Hello =)

Are the halls safe? Have there been an crimes committed in that area? I just watched this film called Harry Brown..and OMG, I don't wanna go to the UK now. Getting really paranoid!
tom_tom_tom
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hello =)

Are the halls safe? Have there been an crimes committed in that area? I just watched this film called Harry Brown..and OMG, I don't wanna go to the UK now. Getting really paranoid!
Ha Oxford isnt like that at all... Obviously there are certain places that are not as good as others but that stands to reason with any place you live.

(Original post by purplebrainz)
Whats the nicest halls to stay in? i will hopefully be studying medical science and so would like to be near the life sciences building, altho im a bit of a gym freak, and would like to be near that too... i know the bus pass is free, so not fussed about being far from town...
please advise!!
You will probably want one of the Headington halls, Cheney or Clive Booth. Paul Kent or Crescent are a possibility but will involve a bus ride, its all about how much you have to spend.
ibelongtoslytherin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
About the Harcourt Hill accommodation..there's only 1, right? And do we all have to share a bathroom?? *shudders* I don't think I can do this...

BTW, do we have an option to pick another accommodation/residence? If so, which ones are close to HH?

Thanks!
Someone I know lived in HH - it was his last option and all their lectures/seminars were on the main gipsy lane campus. Before he moved to Uni he called them up, but they refused to allocate him to one of the closer halls (Clive Booth, Cheney or Warneford). 2 weeks after moving to Uni he tried again and they moved him to Clive Booth. Lots of people do this in the first few weeks or 2/3 months of the year because either some students don't turn up (mainly international), people drop out or people simply want to move to where ever their lectures are. So yes, it is possible to change your accommodation after arrival (don't think anyone can before)
purplebrainz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tom_tom_tom)
Ha Oxford isnt like that at all... Obviously there are certain places that are not as good as others but that stands to reason with any place you live.

You will probably want one of the Headington halls, Cheney or Clive Booth. Paul Kent or Crescent are a possibility but will involve a bus ride, its all about how much you have to spend.
Ive heard theres a snobbery with those associated to Cheney Halls.. any truth in this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (153)
4.9%
Uncertainty around my education (460)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (350)
11.21%
Lack of purpose or motivation (435)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (147)
4.71%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (188)
6.02%
Loneliness (269)
8.61%
Financial worries (113)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (125)
4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (141)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (170)
5.44%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (278)
8.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (294)
9.41%

Watched Threads