Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I'm going to UWE in September to do Journalism, Media and Cultural Studies.

I was meant to have an induction but unfortunately I couldn't make that date and I haven't heard back anything about re-arranging. So I was wondering if anyone goes, what it's like, how the transport links are and better yet, if anyone knows how this course is!

Cheers ,

Cal

ReputationRep:
    some people are I think, yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cgibson)
    Hiya, I'm going to UWE in September to do Journalism, Media and Cultural Studies.

I was meant to have an induction but unfortunately I couldn't make that date and I haven't heard back anything about re-arranging. So I was wondering if anyone goes, what it's like, how the transport links are and better yet, if anyone knows how this course is!

Cheers ,

Cal
    Transport links are good, but depends where you live.

I dont know about the course, sorry.

Why move to Brizzle? Long way from scuuuououtland.

ReputationRep:
    I went to the open day the other day, the atmosphere was really nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam2424)
    I went to the open day the other day, the atmosphere was really nice
    Yeah I went there yesterday for drama. was really nice and the tutors/lecturers seemed really cool

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i was meant to have my open day on Saturday but I couldn't get down there from Glasgow! Thanks very much for your answers

ReputationRep:
    Hm went there for the open day. Transport was poor (comparing to London). Teachers seemed good. People around me, i stuck out like a sore thumb. hahaha. Ill probs be there in september though

ReputationRep:
    I loved it there, lecturers were enthusiastic and the campus was nice, just anxious about where it stands in the err league table aha!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiekatina)
    I loved it there, lecturers were enthusiastic and the campus was nice, just anxious about where it stands in the err league table aha!!
    I was anxious about this aswell but i have a feeling by the time we finish in 2014 it will be quite high - it has potential

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spammoclocks)
    I was anxious about this aswell but i have a feeling by the time we finish in 2014 it will be quite high - it has potential
    How comes ?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think it has potential too, they have good lecturers, facilities, research etc. They did start off as a polytechnic so they just have to get a bit of a reputation as a university and they're bound to go up in the tables.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamieJ_93)
    Yeah I think it has potential too, they have good lecturers, facilities, research etc. They did start off as a polytechnic so they just have to get a bit of a reputation as a university and they're bound to go up in the tables.
    Im really happy im doing drama and they are getting brand new facilities for in and moving to frenchay next year - cannot wait to use the new goods I think it will deffo be ine the top 20 by 2014

ReputationRep:
    How comes ?
    how comes i was anxious or how comes I think it has potential?

ReputationRep:
    how comes i was anxious or how comes I think it has potential?
    how comes you think it has potential?

ReputationRep:
    how comes you think it has potential?
    oh, ive answered it already but because of the new facilities next year ( i was only talking in favour of my course - drama ) and the lecturers are good etc etc. just have a feeling too ahah

ReputationRep:
    UWE isn't great tbh, its a mid-table Uni and if you're holding out for it to fly up the rankings you'll be waiting for a long time yet.

UWE still suffers from allowing in a lot of people who have less than 280 UCAS points, people on clearing and a lot of dullards. As such, you'll find that the dropout rate is fairly high - but at the end of the day UWE is a business with a business model that targets customers to sustain the economics of the model. I.e. if it started asking for a higher entry requirement (the way in which Unis mostly rise up the ranks) then it will start to compete with Reading/Surrey/Dundee etc and it is less likely to appeal to students than the aforementioned so will lose the sustainability of the model.

UWE is, however, a nice Uni with a diverse and vibrant atmosphere and, as mentioned, most of the tutors are friendly and helpful. Bristol itself is an excellent City.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiirk)
    What course at UWE are you doing to make you hate it so much?
    I'm in the business faculty, and I dont hate UWE at all, I'm just realistic that's all.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, league table positions don't particularly bother me, schools and unis at the top of the tables are there because they get excellent grades, they get those grades because they only let in the people that they know will get those top grades to keep them up their with out giving us lower down people a chance.
    As far as I, personally, am concerned, a degree is a degree, I don't really care where I get it as long as I do, and Im over the moon to be going to UWE.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if its good for sociology? I'm thinking of going to UWE in sept, and i've been trying to find info on the sociology course there! so far i've heard mixed reviews on the uni, but overall sounds alright to me. If anyone knows anything about the sociology course it would be much appreciated!
    thanks!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 17, 2011

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Postgraduate Information Event Postgraduate
    Tue, 29 Jan '19
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - City Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.