The official reapplication thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
HRH
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Just wondered if there are any pool or other candidates thinking of reapplying? What will you do with your gap year? What did you and will you apply for? Which college? etc. etc...
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes I'm considering it...

I think I'll make a poll soon...
Tnacilppa
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes - I think I will re-apply. I am looking to teach English at a school in Venice or Paris. Does anyone know how possible this is? Or who I should be applying/talking to?

I will apply to Cambridge, but not Christ's. Does anyone know if there is a college particularly good for English Lit.?

Adam
deadstar
Report 16 years ago
I'm considering reapplying to Cambridge for English after being pooled then rejected this year...not entirely sure what I'd do in a year out, but Tnacilppa I *love* the idea of teaching English in Paris! Do you have any info on how that would work?
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
For all those people who had their heart set on Cambridge (or Oxford for that matter) but didn't get in (after being so close or otherwise), how many of you are thinking of reapplying?

Talk about your plans for gap years, new strategies, thoughts, questions, here.

P.S there are so many threads about this so I thought i should make an official one.

eeeek remind me to never try doing moderation which is too difficult for me! lol.
Tnacilppa
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by deadstar)
I'm considering reapplying to Cambridge for English after being pooled then rejected this year...not entirely sure what I'd do in a year out, but Tnacilppa I *love* the idea of teaching English in Paris! Do you have any info on how that would work?
I have no idea at the moment. I was advised to contact the French Embassy in London. I need to get my act together though! I don't really want to live in a hostel or anything. I'd love to have my own place. I wouldn't mind renting with a few people though.

Adam
tomek J.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tnacilppa)
Yes - I think I will re-apply. I am looking to teach English at a school in Venice or Paris. Does anyone know how possible this is? Or who I should be applying/talking to?

I will apply to Cambridge, but not Christ's. Does anyone know if there is a college particularly good for English Lit.?

Adam
my friend does English at Jesus, and it's supposed to be excellent (they have a great college library). i'm not sure, but I think you need some kind of licenses or qualifications to teach English in a developed country like Italy or France...try out gapyear.co.uk
by the way - you must be one of the few male applicants applying to read english lit, right? from the 11 freshers at Jesus there is only one boy!

tomek
Tnacilppa
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by tomek J.)
my friend does English at Jesus, and it's supposed to be excellent (they have a great college library). i'm not sure, but I think you need some kind of licenses or qualifications to teach English in a developed country like Italy or France...try out gapyear.co.uk
by the way - you must be one of the few male applicants applying to read english lit, right? from the 11 freshers at Jesus there is only one boy!

tomek
Thanks - I'll look into that. I would probably do a course for TEFLE (sp?) which allows you to teach english abroad.

Yeah it's true that there are virtually no guys doing English. I am the only one at my school. I don't know why, it is a great subject. It is a shame, but hey I don't mind working with lots of girls!

I think it is generally true though that the very best English students are female. Probably why I was only pooled and am having to re-apply. I don't like any of the stereotypical 'male' subjects like Economics, Maths and Physics. They are frankly boring!
paymaster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You need to do a course in TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language), to get your CELTA (no idea what that stands for - certificate of english language teaching something??) this will mean you are qualified enough to teach english here and abroad. Good luck... my brother has done quite a bit of it and really enjoyed it. Just make sure you get sorted with a good company who will arrange your work for you, and you dont end up freelancing in a foreign country.
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Of those reapplying, who is "switching sides" and applying to the other half of Oxbridge?
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
And could those who have already got an offer please not vote! (ahem Ralfskini).
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by paymaster)
You need to do a course in TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language), to get your CELTA (no idea what that stands for - certificate of english language teaching something??) this will mean you are qualified enough to teach english here and abroad. Good luck... my brother has done quite a bit of it and really enjoyed it. Just make sure you get sorted with a good company who will arrange your work for you, and you dont end up freelancing in a foreign country.
I would bear in mind that getting these qualifiactions will cost you quite a bit of money which will mean to make it economically worthwhile you will have to teach for quite a few months. You will also need quite a bit of up-front cash for course fees.

Musicboy
tomek J.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tnacilppa)
Yeah it's true that there are virtually no guys doing English. I am the only one at my school. I don't know why, it is a great subject. It is a shame, but hey I don't mind working with lots of girls!

I think it is generally true though that the very best English students are female. Probably why I was only pooled and am having to re-apply. I don't like any of the stereotypical 'male' subjects like Economics, Maths and Physics. They are frankly boring!
yeah, i can see where you are going with the working with girls ... but I agree with you, I would die out of boredom if i had to do physics or engineering...will be doing SPS myself. good luck with your reapplication!

tomek
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There needs to be an option between "unlikely" and "probably".

If I reapply it'll definitely be to the other place
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alexander)
If I reapply it'll definitely be to the other place
why so?
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
why so?
I've lived in Oxford all my life so I wasn't so sure about applying to uni here in the first place (wanted to get away), in fact I wished I had applied to Cam anyway; also if I take a gap year I think the four year Oxford Classics course would be too long -- I'd be ancient by the time I graduated!
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alexander)
I've lived in Oxford all my life so I wasn't so sure about applying to uni here in the first place (wanted to get away), in fact I wished I had applied to Cam anyway; also if I take a gap year I think the four year Oxford Classics course would be too long -- I'd be ancient by the time I graduated!
Lol, fair enough then.
HRH
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Anyone reapplying for geog? What are you doing on your year off? Which college (and which part of 'Oxbridge'!) are you applying to?
presebjenada
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
just a word of warning.. make sure you do something amazing in your gap year if you intend to reapply next year.. you must really stand out and be head and shoulders (and waist) above eveyrone else... next year to avoid top-up fees, a lot fo people who would have taken gap years wont be, therefore the competition will be even more intense especially for oxbridge. the times predicted 60,000 more applicants next year compared to this.... so just be sure you know what youre letting yourself in for!
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by presebjenada)
just a word of warning.. make sure you do something amazing in your gap year if you intend to reapply next year.. you must really stand out and be head and shoulders (and waist) above eveyrone else... next year to avoid top-up fees, a lot fo people who would have taken gap years wont be, therefore the competition will be even more intense especially for oxbridge. the times predicted 60,000 more applicants next year compared to this.... so just be sure you know what youre letting yourself in for!
You're right! But I guess for some people it's worth a shot, and even if there are more people applying, that doesn't mean quality of competition will increase.

Btw, contrary to popular opinion, gap years don't matter that much to Cambridge. I asked admissions tutor at Clare and this is what they wrote:

"We don't expect students necessarily to spend their gap year doing anything that relates specifically to the subject that they wish to study - nor does it have to be particularly exciting! Gap years are taken by people for a number of different reasons; they offer a wonderful chance to travel, meet new people, experience different cultures, think. Many people, obviously, spend at least a part of the year working to earn money. All these experiences can be beneficial in terms of broadening the mind, gaining self-knowledge, etc."
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (228)
61.29%
Yes- I don't like it (16)
4.3%
No- I want it (103)
27.69%
No- I don't want it (25)
6.72%

Watched Threads