The official reapplication thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
deadstar
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
A couple of things I was wondering about when it comes to reapplying - firstly, does the year's age difference really notice?
Also, those of you who did reapply/who are thinking of it, what did your feedback say when you applied the first time around?
Any info would be helpful
Minta
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by deadstar)
A couple of things I was wondering about when it comes to reapplying - firstly, does the year's age difference really notice?
Also, those of you who did reapply/who are thinking of it, what did your feedback say when you applied the first time around?
Any info would be helpful

The year's age difference probably does matter if you reapply, in that the tutors will expect you to have more to show for yourself than pre-A level people. So make sure you've done lots more reading, visiting relevant sites and maybe pertinent university courses in order to prove your passion for the subject. It also goes without saying that the tutors will expect you to have 3 As, unless you are very lucky.

I reapplied to, and got into, Cambridge this year for Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic, and my interview feedback commented favourably on my enthusiasm for the subject, but said my GCSEs (3A*,5A,1B)were poorer than other candidates' and that my lack of a language A level also hindered me. I acted on this feedback by doing Latin and Icelandic at UCL and City Lit during my gap year in addition to a Medieval History course at Birkbeck, visits to Scandinavia and reading relevant history and literature. I'd say it's definitely worth reapplying, if only for your own peace of mind, but try to mentally prepare yourself for rejection and make sure you have an attractive alternative uni. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
chocorange
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Minta)
I acted on this feedback by doing Latin and Icelandic at UCL and City Lit during my gap year in addition to a Medieval History course at Birkbeck, visits to Scandinavia and reading relevant history and literature. I'd say it's definitely worth reapplying, if only for your own peace of mind, but try to mentally prepare yourself for rejection and make sure you have an attractive alternative uni. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
this may be a totally stupid question, but is it possible to accept an offer from a university this year (having been rejected by Cam) and go to that Uni for the first year but also reapply through UCAS to Cam (whilst at the other Uni). If accepted by Cam, complete the year at the other Uni and start over at Cam. If rejected by Cam, just continue the entire course at the other Uni.
Minta
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by chocorange)
this may be a totally stupid question, but is it possible to accept an offer from a university this year (having been rejected by Cam) and go to that Uni for the first year but also reapply through UCAS to Cam (whilst at the other Uni). If accepted by Cam, complete the year at the other Uni and start over at Cam. If rejected by Cam, just continue the entire course at the other Uni.

Hmmm...not sure about that - it might be a tad tricky as your current uni will probably have to write your UCAS reference, so they'll find out what you're up to. If you ask someone else to write it, the unis you apply to might get suspicious and wonder why your school hasn't written it (they wouldn't, as they would know you had gone to uni) as they could assume you're applying post-A level.

However, I don't really know what I'm on about , so I'd suggest researching that idea further!
chocorange
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Minta)
Hmmm...not sure about that - it might be a tad tricky as your current uni will probably have to write your UCAS reference, so they'll find out what you're up to. If you ask someone else to write it, the unis you apply to might get suspicious and wonder why your school hasn't written it (they wouldn't, as they would know you had gone to uni) as they could assume you're applying post-A level.

However, I don't really know what I'm on about , so I'd suggest researching that idea further!
May I ask how you did your Uni course during Gap year?

Also, I'm sure my school would write me another reference.
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well I know for example you cannot accept an offer, defer it for a year, and reapply in your gap year, as UCAS will not let you. So I imagine you might have to officially quit your current course maybe.
tomek J.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I strongly doubt that. I have never actually got an official confirmation of this (because this thought crossed me as well before my Gap Year), but I am pretty sure you can't - if you could, so many people would do it, right? Go to your second choice uni and try again! And if it is possible (theoretically) then I can guarantee you that you will not get into cam if you do this. Reapplications are there for people who want to take a Gap Year anyway, not for people who get on with their lives only to go back again.
Minta
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
May I ask how you did your Uni course during Gap year?
The UCL and Birkbeck courses were weekly evening classes and the City Lit class was on Thursday afternoons, and the courses lasted from 12 weeks to 6 months. They weren't formally examined, although the Birkbeck teacher set coursework essays which counted towards a certificate and the other teachers also set translation homework. I found out about the courses from 'Floodlights' which publishes details of part time uni courses in London, then it was a matter of getting application forms off the net and doing the necessary paperwork. I don't know what opportunities there are for doing these sorts of courses outside London, but within that area there are lots of options.
chocorange
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Minta)
The UCL and Birkbeck courses were weekly evening classes and the City Lit class was on Thursday afternoons, and the courses lasted from 12 weeks to 6 months. They weren't formally examined, although the Birkbeck teacher set coursework essays which counted towards a certificate and the other teachers also set translation homework. I found out about the courses from 'Floodlights' which publishes details of part time uni courses in London, then it was a matter of getting application forms off the net and doing the necessary paperwork. I don't know what opportunities there are for doing these sorts of courses outside London, but within that area there are lots of options.
cool, thanks for info. i think i'll have a look ... i'm in london, so that shouldn't be a problem.
young_free
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Is anyone doing in their gap year to try and improve their chances the second time round? Like gaining a couple extra qualifications or work experience, for the sole purpose of making your application look better?
I was thinking of taking some more GCSE's as I didnt get very many A*s
Musicwoman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by HRH)
Just wondered if there are any pool or other candidates thinking of reapplying? What will you do with your gap year? What did you and will you apply for? Which college? etc. etc...
Hi

I was pooled and then rejected for Music at Cambridge. Under any other circumstances I would have reapplied next year. I had already discussed this option with my mum.

However, the reality IS that there may well be an additional 20 - 25% of students applying next year, rejecting a gap year in an attempt to beat the top-up fees. I have places everywhere else I applied - including all the 'Oxbridge reject' unis like York and Durham. I reckon I run the risk, not only of not getting in again next year but also not getting places at other good unis. I've decided I don't want to risk it.

I am STILL pissed off at the way it's all unfolded. I badly wanted to do the Cambridge course but, well, that's life.
J.S.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
You're right! But I guess for some people it's worth a shot, and even if there are more people applying, that doesn't mean quality of competition will increase.

Btw, contrary to popular opinion, gap years don't matter that much to Cambridge. I asked admissions tutor at Clare and this is what they wrote:

"We don't expect students necessarily to spend their gap year doing anything that relates specifically to the subject that they wish to study - nor does it have to be particularly exciting! Gap years are taken by people for a number of different reasons; they offer a wonderful chance to travel, meet new people, experience different cultures, think. Many people, obviously, spend at least a part of the year working to earn money. All these experiences can be beneficial in terms of broadening the mind, gaining self-knowledge, etc."

When you say that they do not matter to Cambridge, you're almost implying that there's some uniform policy the whole university adopts. A lot of it will depend on the individual assessing you. Overall, what you do in your gap year will matter, whether the admissions tutors acknowledge this or not. If someone has taken a gap year, and they've gained experience all over the world, acquired another language, worked for a blue chip company and the like, it will make a difference. I've met people who've taken gap years, and many of them have suuuuch an impressive array of activities on their CV as a result-this is helpful to them even after university. You cannot possibly tell me that such a person would not be preferred over someone that has been working in ASDA all year long, *all else being equal*.
lotus
Report 15 years ago
Hey I applied again and got in the second time! A gap year gives you a lot more time to get to grips with your subject and also showed me how much I cant wait to go to uni. I'm going to Cambridge by the way. Anyone else going in October 04 who wants to chat?
Veedy
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lotus)
Hey I applied again and got in the second time! A gap year gives you a lot more time to get to grips with your subject and also showed me how much I cant wait to go to uni. I'm going to Cambridge by the way. Anyone else going in October 04 who wants to chat?
Well done Lotus! What college/subject? Where/what did you apply for first time?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (5)
50%
Yes- I don't like it (1)
10%
No- I want it (3)
30%
No- I don't want it (1)
10%

Watched Threads