Matrices Watch

Scott3142
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Let A = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1 & 0 & ... & 0\\ 0 & 1 & ... & ... & ... \\ ... & ... & ... & ... & 0 \\ ... & ... & ... & 1 & 1 \\ 0 & ... & ... & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix} be an nxn matrix.

Find A^{-1} using elementary row operations.

I can see by just doing a few that the answer will be

A^{-1} = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & -1 & 1 & ... & 1\\ 0 & 1 & -1 & ... & ... \\ ... & ... & ... & ... & ... \\ 0 & ... & 1 & -1 & ... \\ ... & ... & ... & 1 & -1 \\ 0 & ... & ... & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}.

However I think I should prove this somehow, induction perhaps. I have written A as

(A)_{ij}= \left\{ \begin{array}{ll}

1  & \mbox{if } i\in \{j,j+1\} \\

0 & \mbox{otherwise} 

\end{array}

\right

And similarly

(A^{-1})_{ij} = \left\{ \begin{array}{ll}

1  & \mbox{if } i=j \\

-1 & \mbox{if } i=j+1 \\ 

0 & \mbox{otherwise}                

\end{array}

\right.

and tried to do something with that but I haven't got anywhere. Am I making more of it than is necessary?

Thanks.
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Scott3142)
Thanks.
I suggest putting an example into Excel or whatever your favourite matrix multiplying software is; what you have there doesn't work.

Nor do your formulae match the matrices you've quoted at the top.
Scott3142
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have worked out the first 3 rows from the bottom of A^{-1} and it seems to be upper triangular with alternating 1s and minus 1s. I think this is right. Ahh I see how my formulae are wrong now but how do I generalise the operations to nxn?
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Scott3142)
I have worked out the first 3 rows from the bottom of A^{-1} and it seems to be upper triangular with alternating 1s and minus 1s. I think this is right. Ahh I see how my formulae are wrong now but how do I generalise the operations to nxn?
What you are doing is starting from the nth row working up, subtracting the i'th row from the (i-1)'th row, which is generating your alternating pattern in the upper triangle.

If you look at it in terms of the augmented matrix (A|I); these operations reduce A to I, and the I to A^(-1). So just formalise that some way.

Alternatively you could take the approach of considering the elementary row operations as matrices in their own right, and you are generating a string of matrices that perform the reduction, and this allows you to state the inverse, but I'm not familiar with the nomenclature, etc. as it's donkey's years since I looked at this - and have never used it since..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Do you have any savings?