Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, pretty sure i'm accepting my offer for Aberdeen (Microbiology-uncon, please chat if your doing a medical molecular science or any other biology shazz )

BUT

Im confused about the accomodation. I know New Carnegie court is the poshest, with all the en suite shenanigans etc but it's also pretty unreasonably priced (nice one, UNITE).
    At the open day the guy told me a lot of the other buildings are either ALL girls or ALL boys. Will someone please enlighten me as to which houses are mixed, all male or all female? And which is better? My cousin lives in a flat of 6 girls and apparently it gets really *****y, can't stand that!

ALSO, in Wavell, Fyfe and Adam Smith i read on the website that they are corridor-style, how many rooms are in a corridor and does this affect how homely it feels or how you get to know your flatties? Is it better to be in an enclosed 'flat' set up?

Just now its looking like I'll apply for wavell/fyfe/adam smith etc as they have recently had new kitchens etc. I'm a pretty down to earth girl I'm not bothered about a bit of grime, after all, we are going to be students for the next 4 years !

Help would be greatly appreciated See you in september ! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fhewitt1)
    Hey, pretty sure i'm accepting my offer for Aberdeen (Microbiology-uncon, please chat if your doing a medical molecular science or any other biology shazz )

BUT

Im confused about the accomodation. I know New Carnegie court is the poshest, with all the en suite shenanigans etc but it's also pretty unreasonably priced (nice one, UNITE).
    At the open day the guy told me a lot of the other buildings are either ALL girls or ALL boys. Will someone please enlighten me as to which houses are mixed, all male or all female? And which is better? My cousin lives in a flat of 6 girls and apparently it gets really *****y, can't stand that!

ALSO, in Wavell, Fyfe and Adam Smith i read on the website that they are corridor-style, how many rooms are in a corridor and does this affect how homely it feels or how you get to know your flatties? Is it better to be in an enclosed 'flat' set up?

Just now its looking like I'll apply for wavell/fyfe/adam smith etc as they have recently had new kitchens etc. I'm a pretty down to earth girl I'm not bothered about a bit of grime, after all, we are going to be students for the next 4 years !

Help would be greatly appreciated See you in september ! x

Essentially nothing is mixed at Hillhead. Adam Smith and Fyfe are all girls and all boys respectively. Wavell is mixed in that there are 2 all boy floors and 3 all girl floors. All the flats (to my knowledge) are single sex as well. In Wavell/Adam Smith/Fyfe there's 40ish to a floor between 6 kitchens of 6 or 9 people. I'm in Wavell this year so if you want to ask any questions about it, go for it

ReputationRep:
    *Accommodation :bigsmile:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirty Dream Number Two)
    Essentially nothing is mixed at Hillhead. Adam Smith and Fyfe are all girls and all boys respectively. Wavell is mixed in that there are 2 all boy floors and 3 all girl floors. All the flats (to my knowledge) are single sex as well. In Wavell/Adam Smith/Fyfe there's 40ish to a floor between 6 kitchens of 6 or 9 people. I'm in Wavell this year so if you want to ask any questions about it, go for it
    So basically there's either 40 guys or 40 girls on every floor but never a mix. That's mental...

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, cool Do you like Wavell then? I take it you don't mind not being in a 'flat' ?
    What are the kitchen & bathrooms like?
    Sorry to bombard you with 21 questions, i appreciate the info

ReputationRep:
    Wavell is nice compared to a lot of places on Hillhead because all the furniture, kitchens, bathrooms etc are brand new this year. I'm okay with not being in a flat, I've found it's quite good socially
    The kitchens are really nice. The smaller ones can be a bit cramped because they're just old bedrooms converted, but the big ones are brill. All the cheaper places have pretty crap kitchens compared to ours I've found. The bathrooms are nothing to shout about but do the job fine! they are cleaned every weekday as well, which is nice.

ReputationRep:
    Wavell is nice compared to a lot of places on Hillhead because all the furniture, kitchens, bathrooms etc are brand new this year. I'm okay with not being in a flat, I've found it's quite good socially
    The kitchens are really nice. The smaller ones can be a bit cramped because they're just old bedrooms converted, but the big ones are brill. All the cheaper places have pretty crap kitchens compared to ours I've found. The bathrooms are nothing to shout about but do the job fine! they are cleaned every weekday as well, which is nice.
    Yeah cool, thats good that they've all been redone too. Plus i'd wayyy prefer self catering to catered. Do you know anything about South House & North Court? Are they worth the extra couple quid a week or are they pretty indifferent to Wavell/Fyfe etc?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah cool, thats good that they've all been redone too. Plus i'd wayyy prefer self catering to catered. Do you know anything about South House & North Court? Are they worth the extra couple quid a week or are they pretty indifferent to Wavell/Fyfe etc?
    I can field that one. I stayed with a girl I met on last year's applicant day (I'm on a year out) and she lives in North Court. She said it was £110ish a week. There a 5 on each floor, again not mixed. They had a minute kitchen space, 2 bathrooms (only one shower though) and they all had sinks in their rooms. That's abotu all I can tell you.

I'm probably going to apply for Wavell too.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest Hillhead in general is ludicrously expensive compared to most university halls. I've just seen it's going up by quite a bit this year as well. Wavell etc are definitely the cheapest nice halls. South house and North Court are in flats, the rooms could be a bit bigger, I'm not sure, but really I wouldn't say it's worth the extra tenner a week, which obviously adds up to a lot more per year.

ReputationRep:
    I'm paying £531 a month + food at the moment for New Carnegie. It's rather ridiculous. The en suites are nice to have, but you can cope with a great deal less.

There are no mixed flats at all at New Carnegie, which means the atmosphere is a bit strange. TBH it doesn't matter where you go, you'll have a great time

ReputationRep:
    Spring Gardens, best halls - location and craic.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I travelled up to Aberdeen on Friday on the plane and just satayed for the day - but I really loved it and I am now sure that its where I want to go in September
    However I too am extremely confused about what accomodation to go for!
    My mum keeps saying to me that I should go ensuit - but as has already been pointed out above, New Carnegie is extremely expensive! What other halls offer ensuit?
    What halls would you personally reccommend to a prospective first year - good atmosphere and price etc?

Your help with this would be really welcome, as although the website is good, I would like the inside scoop on what I would actually be getting for my money

Cheers

Sarah x

ReputationRep:
    I think i'm going to apply to The Old Fire Station with Unite.
    Seems like an ideal location and not far from the university, and it's opposite Morrisons - close to work loll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theproseandpassion)
    Hi everyone,

I travelled up to Aberdeen on Friday on the plane and just satayed for the day - but I really loved it and I am now sure that its where I want to go in September
    However I too am extremely confused about what accomodation to go for!
    My mum keeps saying to me that I should go ensuit - but as has already been pointed out above, New Carnegie is extremely expensive! What other halls offer ensuit?
    What halls would you personally reccommend to a prospective first year - good atmosphere and price etc?

Your help with this would be really welcome, as although the website is good, I would like the inside scoop on what I would actually be getting for my money

Cheers

Sarah x
    I would have to disagree with your mother in ha an en suite is far from essential. The only halls which offer it (as far as I know) are unite halls (so either new carniegie, fire staton, spring gardens) which will be more expensive than uni ones.

I would say that for first year you should be in either Hillhead or Crombie-Johntson, most of your fresher peers will be here so it's a lot easier to make friends.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for this -

Sorry to keep asking questions, but are the Wavell halls a good compromise as they seem to have new furniture and are the bathroom facilities ok?

Thanks

(Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    I would have to disagree with your mother in ha an en suite is far from essential. The only halls which offer it (as far as I know) are unite halls (so either new carniegie, fire staton, spring gardens) which will be more expensive than uni ones.

I would say that for first year you should be in either Hillhead or Crombie-Johntson, most of your fresher peers will be here so it's a lot easier to make friends.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for this -

Sorry to keep asking questions, but are the Wavell halls a good compromise as they seem to have new furniture and are the bathroom facilities ok?

Thanks
    Wavell is alright, I've never had a problem with the bathroom facilities - they're cleaned 5 days a week which helps.

ReputationRep:
    So would you reccommend Aberdeen Uni then?

ReputationRep:
    So would you reccommend Aberdeen Uni then?
    Yep, I love Aberdeen uni!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I love Aberdeen uni!
    Aw I am so glad - it is really nerve racking making a final decision so it is great to talk to some one who is actually there

thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    I'm stayed in South House this year, and i seriously could not recommend it more!

The kitchens were done up last year, so they look nice and modern compared to before. The bedrooms are the biggest you're going to get unless you want to shell out for the extortionate NCC! Even then, the massive bad takes up most of the room (Tbh, when my flat arrived we were all shocked at how big the bedrooms in SH were... we thought they'd be tiny!)

The walls aren't disgusting and grotty like Esselmont/Hector Boece/Burnett etc - They're a nice creamy colour, and are plaster, not bricks!

There's a sink in the room, yes, but that's actually so useful! When i first heard there was a sink in the room i was a bit funny about the idea, but i don't know how i'm going to live without it. Going to the bathroom to brush my teeth, whaaat?! :P

The doors and frames are made of real oak wood, unlike the badly painted plastic ones of the cheaper accommodations. Infact, everything has a nice home-y touch in South House!

I'd recommend NCC initially, mostly just because of the lounge space. I'd kill for a lounge, but we made our own in South House, so no big deal. :P But if it's too expensive for you, then South House is totally the best place for you.

I haven't been to North Court, but my friends live there, and they say it's pretty much the same, just a different layout (We're one big line, they're kind of crosses... it's weird.)
    BUT, SoHo is closer to Seaton Park = closer to uni! Sleep in for an extra 5 minutes? I think so.

If you need any more info on any of the accommodations, just ask..

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.