Pot belly while bulking help!! Watch

Gallium
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Okay so it's simple i started working out/bulking 8-9 weeks ago in that time I've gained around 7kg. i'm happy with my gains and what not but every time i look in the mirror i see a pot belly.....it actually looks like i'm 3-4 months pregnant...... this only happens when i'm relaxed....when i flex it's all fine i can see my abs pretty well.

My diets not the best but it's not bad either. Although my carb intake is slightly high

It's seriously ****/depressing any ideas of what to do?
is it a matter of just doing more cardio?
ThisIsOurDecision
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gallium)
this only happens when i'm relaxed....when i flex it's all fine i can see my abs pretty well.
Bad posture?
Gallium
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThisIsOurDecision)
Bad posture?

Can't be my stomach was fine before i started bulking .....
and i don't think it's body fat either
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you have a pot belly then it will be body fat...

If your body fat is going up too much then just cut back on the daily calorie intake.

There's no need to get overly fat while trying to bulk. You can clean bulk...
Gallium
Rep:
?
(Original post by MHorman)
If you have a pot belly then it will be body fat...

If your body fat is going up too much then just cut back on the daily calorie intake.

There's no need to get overly fat while trying to bulk. You can clean bulk...
it probably was the rapid increase in calories, i didn't gradual increase tbf i just jumped straight into it.
I've switched back to 3 healthy/nutritional meals a day with 2 shakes

btw im 140 pounds 5'10 how much cardio should i actually do? i haven't been doing very much tbf like football once a week and skipping here and there

i just hope this belly goes withing a month or 2
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
it probably was the rapid increase in calories, i didn't gradual increase tbf i just jumped straight into it.

btw im 140 pounds 5'10 how much cardio should i actually do? i haven't been doing very much tbf like football once a week and skipping here and there

I'd do one or two proper cardio sessions a week and maybe do HIIT in addition to one football game or something...

Tbh, the whole body fat issue depends more on calories eaten than whether you spend 45 minutes runnning around a fiel once a week...

What workout are you actually doing?Liftwise?
Starting Strenght? WS4SB? Stronglifts 5*5?
int92
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

it might just be from the food in your stomach.

is it like that in the morning?
snoopydoops
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Okay so it's simple i started working out/bulking 8-9 weeks ago in that time I've gained around 7kg. i'm happy with my gains and what not but every time i look in the mirror i see a pot belly.....it actually looks like i'm 3-4 months pregnant...... this only happens when i'm relaxed....when i flex it's all fine i can see my abs pretty well.

My diets not the best but it's not bad either. Although my carb intake is slightly high

It's most likely your diet, I say cut back your calories a bit and see if it makes a difference. You can also clean bulk as stated before
SummerSofas
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
double check your posture in the mirror

on a bulk you need about 500kcal surplus, anymore than that and there will be large fat gains, cut down on carbs possibly

make sure your sticking to your lifting properly, giving it 110% in the gym and making progress week on week so you can be sure that more scale weight is mostly lean mass
Gallium
Rep:
?
(Original post by MHorman)
I'd do one or two proper cardio sessions a week and maybe do HIIT in addition to one football game or something...

Tbh, the whole body fat issue depends more on calories eaten than whether you spend 45 minutes runnning around a fiel once a week...

What workout are you actually doing?Liftwise?
Starting Strenght? WS4SB? Stronglifts 5*5?
I've been using starting strength for a while, but i make use of what i have. i was at virgin gym but i cancelled as it's extortion.

I have a feeling it's not to do with bodyfat, then again it might be.

Like my stomach in a relaxed state just looks bloated, but when i tense it radically deflates and looks good.
Gallium
Rep:
?
(Original post by int92)
it might just be from the food in your stomach.

is it like that in the morning?
It's pretty much like that all day, however in the morning it is slightly better
int92
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's pretty much like that all day, however in the morning it is slightly better
it sounds like mine.

based on your weight im guessing you have a small waist and stuff?

you could try stomach vacuums.

other than that ull have to deal with it after eating food.
Gallium
Rep:
?
(Original post by int92)
it sounds like mine.

based on your weight im guessing you have a small waist and stuff?

you could try stomach vacuums.

other than that ull have to deal with it after eating food.
Yh size 30 wasit
I'm try vacuums and cutting dwn on calories a little.
Erghhh it is kinda **** having to suck in your stomach alot
LJ.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Super long killer cario sessions are NOT the answer. You end up running for miles and just end up cutting into muscle for fuel to continue.
The best way is to lift (believe it or not) but do short sharp intense sessions with more reps.
And as far as eating is concerned it sounds as if you know yourself that you need to cut down on carbs. I try to eat every 2 hours and protein/carbs only after training. This seems to work for me.
Hope this helps!
Gallium
Rep:
?
(Original post by LJ.)
Super long killer cario sessions are NOT the answer. You end up running for miles and just end up cutting into muscle for fuel to continue.
The best way is to lift (believe it or not) but do short sharp intense sessions with more reps.
And as far as eating is concerned it sounds as if you know yourself that you need to cut down on carbs. I try to eat every 2 hours and protein/carbs only after training. This seems to work for me.
Hope this helps!
it's pretty hard with the carbs. i'm on the anabolic hard-gainer usn shake and the amount of carbs in that is tremendous!......
and in addition to this i did increase my calorie consumption quite fast as i went on gomad. but i'm cutting back and going for a slower bulking phase now

when i say pot belly it's not like fat on the surface of my abs, but it's more of underneath like my gut or something
sil3nt_cha0s
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

:lies:

you can't go from having a pot belly when relaxed, then you're able to see your abs when you flex. either you don't have a pot belly or you're lying about being able to see your abs.
SummerSofas
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
:lies:

you can't go from having a pot belly when relaxed, then you're able to see your abs when you flex. either you don't have a pot belly or you're lying about being able to see your abs.
do you have visible abs?
sil3nt_cha0s
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SummerSofas)
do you have visible abs?
no, but I have a pretty flat stomach so when I do tense, you can see them. but you can't with a pot belly, that's what I'm saying.
Sequa
Report 7 years ago
I seem to have the same problem. I gained 3kg and I'm happy with my muscle gains but the other day a friend noticed that my belly looks fat. When I brace it it looks flat and I can see my abs a bit but when it is relaxed it looks bloated. It doesn't feel like fat but it's more as if it expanded behind the muscles. I've never been fat in my life so it could be fat after all though.

I read somewhere else that a bloated belly could be caused by (in my case moderate) lactose intolerance. I always have my shakes with milk and although I never noticed any big problems apparently it can cause such a pot belly (?). I heard many people have lactose intolerance to some degree, often without really knowing about it. I will try to not drink milk for a week and a lot of water instead to see if it makes a difference.
Simplicity
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Sequa)
I seem to have the same problem. I gained 3kg and I'm happy with my muscle gains but the other day a friend noticed that my belly looks fat. When I brace it it looks flat and I can see my abs a bit but when it is relaxed it looks bloated. It doesn't feel like fat but it's more as if it expanded behind the muscles. I've never been fat in my life so it could be fat after all though.

I read somewhere else that a bloated belly could be caused by (in my case moderate) lactose intolerance. I always have my shakes with milk and although I never noticed any big problems apparently it can cause such a pot belly (?). I heard many people have lactose intolerance to some degree, often without really knowing about it. I will try to not drink milk for a week and a lot of water instead to see if it makes a difference.
You been bulking? Also, that's likely to be fat gains aswell. You probably got fat. How is your lifts? give me stats and how much you increased it by.

You don't have lactose intolerance as you would have noticed that by now. You don't suddenly get it. A lot of things have milk in it and you probably been having milk all your life. This isn't the problem.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (133)
18.4%
No (439)
60.72%
Not really bothered about them (151)
20.89%

Watched Threads