Turn on thread page Beta

the body's response to stressors watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me with this topic, I'm an A2 retaking this AS, and I'm completely stumped on this bit!

I'm confused as to how all the different bits fit together.

I have notes on the HPA axis, SAM axis, Sympathetic branch, Parasympathetic branch, ANS, SNS, Pituitary-Adrenal System.

Anyone clear up what goes where? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusions144)
    Can anyone help me with this topic, I'm an A2 retaking this AS, and I'm completely stumped on this bit!

I'm confused as to how all the different bits fit together.

I have notes on the HPA axis, SAM axis, Sympathetic branch, Parasympathetic branch, ANS, SNS, Pituitary-Adrenal System.

Anyone clear up what goes where? :confused:
    I hope that the diagram at the top can clear up 'what goes where'.

http://www.brain-freeze.co.uk/files/Stress.pdf

The HPA (Hypothalamic pituitary adrenal) axis and the Pituitary-Adrenal system are just two different names for the same process.

SNS = sympathetic nervous system = Sympathetic branch. The SNS is the part of the ANS (autonomic nervous system) that is involved in utilising the body's resources for the fight-or-flight response.

The parasympathetic branch is also part of the ANS, but is involved in the body's resting processes e.g. increasing digestion.

Overall the ANS includes both the parasympathetic branch and sympathetic branch. The ANS is therefore a mostly unconscious bodily system which regulates heart rate, sweating etc. depending on what is required of the body.

The ANS is part of the larger peripheral nervous system. The peripheral nervous system also includes the somatic nervous system, which concerns the voluntary control of muscles e.g. for movement.

The peripheral nervous system combined with the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord) are the entire human nervous system.

Going from large to small concerning the nervous system and the stress response:
    Peripheral nervous system >
    Autonomic nervous system >
    Sympathetic nervous system and the parasympathetic nervous system.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 15, 2011

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.