Turn on thread page Beta

Should organ donation be made compulsory with an oupt out option int the UK? watch

ReputationRep:
    We're having a debate in our ethics class and my group are against this motion, can someone help me to find reasons as to why this motion is bad please??

ReputationRep:
    Religion - muslims are not allowed to do that.

ReputationRep:
    I think so, would increase the number of organs available for transplant massively (as a lot of people are too lazy to opt in but would like to donate), thus saving lives. Religious people/ people who object can opt out.

ReputationRep:
    To assume that you can just take organs from someone is unethical; if someone isn't clued in on the fact that they have an "opt out" option, or how to go about claiming this, then they may end up unwillingly giving their organs away. It's only respectful that it's the donors personal choice.

Some people may also be swayed just because they believe that it's what expected, rather than what they genuinely want; some people are easily swayed in that way, and can't stand up for their own views.

ReputationRep:
    So the Govt now own everyone's bodies? Having an opt out option would only be an increase in petty bureaucracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munchies-YumYum)
    Religion - muslims are not allowed to do that.
    Covered by the opt out option. Tbh your group is stuck with the bum option because as long as there is an opt out option then it doesn't violate your liberties and rights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamijack)
    Covered by the opt out option. Tbh your group is stuck with the bum option because as long as there is an opt out option then it doesn't violate your liberties and rights.
    Right, are you an organ donor?

ReputationRep:
    People unaware of their rights? Feeling like they shouldnt opt out because it is expected that they dont?

Tough side to argue really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smelly Ellie)
    I think so, would increase the number of organs available for transplant massively (as a lot of people are too lazy to opt in but would like to donate), thus saving lives. Religious people/ people who object can opt out.
    but don't youhink the same thing will happen again, like right now those who can't be bothered to opt in dont, but this time it's a serious thing were those who don't opt out or have the means to opt out get their organs taken away despite of family objection just because they were as lazy as the people who claimed tht they wanted to opt in but somehow didnt have the time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grund)
    To assume that you can just take organs from someone is unethical; if someone isn't clued in on the fact that they have an "opt out" option, or how to go about claiming this, then they may end up unwillingly giving their organs away. It's only respectful that it's the donors personal choice.

Some people may also be swayed just because they believe that it's what expected, rather than what they genuinely want; some people are easily swayed in that way, and can't stand up for their own views.
    love you sooo much any ore points? loooool

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissLightyear)
    People unaware of their rights? Feeling like they shouldnt opt out because it is expected that they dont?

Tough side to argue really
    Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    Well I am, and can you elaborate the relevance to the discussion please.

I am in favour of this motion, if its publicised enough its unreasonable to think people will be ignorant of the opt out system. It works well enough in most of Europe.

ReputationRep:
    New rule: if you don't agree to donate your organs when you die, you're not allowed other people's when you need one.

That'd up the donor rate I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    I believe it should be opt out. Maybe with an option so parents could choose to opt their children out at birth so that religious people had an easier time. It would save many lives and if people are too lazy to opt out then they obviously aren't too worried about it.

ReputationRep:
    I would support it if I thought everyone had the opportunity to opt out. Given that many people die suddenly and also the level of migration, I don't think everyone has the opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomInce6666)

I am in favour of this motion, if its publicised enough its unreasonable to think people will be ignorant of the opt out system. It works well enough in most of Europe.
    apart from sweden

I really do believe that people who say they want to be organ donars and don't actual do it don't actually want to do it, if you really wanted to do it you wold

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomInce6666)

I was merely curious.

ReputationRep:
    What about all the smokers and the heavy drinkers and the drug abusers. hate to be the one who needs there liver, heart etc. Thats one good reason not to introduce it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sellasi6290)
    apart from sweden

I really do believe that people who say they want to be organ donars and don't actual do it don't actually want to do it, if you really wanted to do it you wold
    And if you really didnt want to you wouldnt do it?

What point are you making?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.