Turn on thread page Beta

Which Universities? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am planning to do Msc Forensic Psychology in 2006 and am going to apply for five Universities. A couple of questions:

1. The following Universities run the course on a one-year full-time basis:

Surrey, UCLAN, York, Portsmouth, Middlesex, Kent, Manchester Metropolitan, Leicester, London Metropolitan, Coventry, Glasgow Caledonian.

York is obviously the best institution reputation-wise, but what about the others? Which would be good to apply to and are there any that are best avoided?

2. Are five applications enough?

Thanks

Helen

ReputationRep:
    Just to clarify - I'm just wondering which of these universities have the best reputation generally (not just for my subject) and which are best to avoid.
    I haven't heard of some of them. Any advice is appreciated - esp from current/past students.

ReputationRep:
    I would say York stands out a mile for having the best rep. I think Leicester is pretty good as well. The rest of them are newer universities. Have a look at their positions on the league tables, although this isn't the be all and end all of picking a university! I guess it comes down to the universities where you think the course looks most interesting because they are all going to teach it differently!

ReputationRep:
    You can't just rely on a uni's position in the league tables. For example (I go there so I will use it as an example) Manchester Metropolitan (MMU) has a poor reputation and isn't really up there in the league tables but are rated 22/24 in the departmental assessments and in some subjects it even beats university of manchester. I know for a fact the forensic science course is supposed to be outstanding but as far as I am aware unless it is offered by a different department there are only MSc's in either bhavioural and environmental biology subjects or Biomedical science subjects.

This holds true about other uni's too (the fact you can't rely on rep and league tables) I am not trying to just champion the cause of the one I go to.

(Original post by angel_flo)
    I would say York stands out a mile for having the best rep. I think Leicester is pretty good as well. The rest of them are newer universities. Have a look at their positions on the league tables, although this isn't the be all and end all of picking a university! I guess it comes down to the universities where you think the course looks most interesting because they are all going to teach it differently!

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.