Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey, just wanted to ask (since we're in "photographies" topic).. which one's better?- canon or nikon? i mean for the dslr ones.. i've got eod canon already but i really not satisfied with the quality of its image so i'm thinking about changing into nikon. however, a friend of mine (she's a photographer) really recommends me to stick with my canon because she said that canon is better. what do u think?

ReputationRep:
    None are better. Its all down to preference of the user.

When I was choosing my first SLR I prefered Canon because of their bigger and clearer screens and also I liked that they has a single button for the ISO.

My college have Nikon D40s and D3000s so now whenever I use them again they just feel really small and confusing to use now that I have my own Canon 500D. But you may have a different opinion to all of what I said. There probably is more to it, but i'm not really too educated in the whole Canon vs Nikon debate

ReputationRep:
    Personally i have a Nikon D40 and I love it. But i've used a Canon and that was equally awesome.

ReputationRep:
    It's your decision. As long as they are the equivalent Nikon/Canon then the image quality should be almost equal. I'd recommend holding both - they have different shapes. Personally I'm Nikon because I prefer the way the menus etc work along with brilliant customer service from them after a certain leading shop were useless!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freelife)
    hey, just wanted to ask (since we're in "photographies" topic).. which one's better?- canon or nikon? i mean for the dslr ones.. i've got eod canon already but i really not satisfied with the quality of its image so i'm thinking about changing into nikon. however, a friend of mine (she's a photographer) really recommends me to stick with my canon because she said that canon is better. what do u think?
    I would say just read as many reviews as possible and look for the points you are interested in. Both have their upsides and downsides. Also if you can, try going to a electronics store and try using them (with permission) and see which one is easier to use or does the better photographs, has the better functions, etc.

A lot of people prefer Nikon, but loads prefer Canon, so it is more of a personal preference. Hard to pick one that is the 'better camera' of both.

ReputationRep:
    If you're not happy with the quality of the pictures from your Canon then you won't be happy with the pictures from a Nikon either because I can almost guarantee you that the problem is with you, and not the camera. You need to get better at taking pictures rather than simply hoping that a new camera will solve your issues.

In terms of which is better? Neither really. For years Nikon was used for journalism and Canon was used for wildlife and sport but those lines are becoming blurred now and more people are using one for the other. I use a Canon personally because I can't for the life of me make Nikon's work. The other day at work I was playing with the D3100 and on the playback screen it was cycled to the one with a small preview of your image in the top left, and all the exif data around it. I pressed every single button, and combination of buttons I could find but none of them would take me back to a full screen preview. Nikon, why can't you have a simple 'DISP' button like Canon? If anyone can tell me how to change the display on Nikons please let me know.

ReputationRep:
    cheers for ur views guys.. i think i gonna stick to canon for a while n see how it goes

ReputationRep:
    I know the thread is kinda done but.....its your choice....neither is better really, i chose canon because i had used canon before although now that i think about it im learning the DSLR from scratch the G9 has very few things in common with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    If you're not happy with the quality of the pictures from your Canon then you won't be happy with the pictures from a Nikon either because I can almost guarantee you that the problem is with you, and not the camera. You need to get better at taking pictures rather than simply hoping that a new camera will solve your issues.

In terms of which is better? Neither really. For years Nikon was used for journalism and Canon was used for wildlife and sport but those lines are becoming blurred now and more people are using one for the other. I use a Canon personally because I can't for the life of me make Nikon's work. The other day at work I was playing with the D3100 and on the playback screen it was cycled to the one with a small preview of your image in the top left, and all the exif data around it. I pressed every single button, and combination of buttons I could find but none of them would take me back to a full screen preview. Nikon, why can't you have a simple 'DISP' button like Canon? If anyone can tell me how to change the display on Nikons please let me know.
    On my D90 it's the 'up' arrow.. changes it from histogram/image data to full image..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleanor12)
    On my D90 it's the 'up' arrow.. changes it from histogram/image data to full image..
    Random. Fair enough I'll try that, thanks

ReputationRep:
    ...and if you ever find your self using a very darkside camera you press a button cleverly labelled 'Info'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dd1989)
    ...and if you ever find your self using a very darkside camera you press a button cleverly labelled 'Info'
    See? If Olympus can manage to label a simple button then why can't Nikon? Fools.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is pretty much over, but I just thought I'd add in another "personal preference" comment! I recently bought a Canon 550D as an upgrade to my now-ancient Nikon D40 and I'm in the process of sending it back for a refund!

Technology wise I had no problem with the Canon, so I do feel slightly stupid for returning it.. But if the overall feel of the camera doesn't suit you, then there's no point battling on with it. I've used Nikon for over five years now, and I really didn't think there would be much of a difference between the two brands. And to be honest, there isn't. There are spec differences with certain cameras, but that's to be expected from this age old sibling rivalry thing the two companies have going on. I think the biggest difference for me was the body - though I'm sure there's a huge market for compact, lightweight cameras, the 550D just felt insubstantial in my hand. It's plastic-y, the buttons are loose and the lenses I bought aren't very fluid at all. They grate when being turned, so this could be a manufacturing fault.

Anyway, I was so excited to be using a new Canon now after holding on to my little Nikon for so many years, but the camera really didn't make me feel like it was worth the money. I know the above are somewhat trivial points, and obviously you asked for an overall comparison of Canon vs Nikon.. But like every one else has said, it's really down to personal preference!

/useless post :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Entry level Canons are toys, I think even Canon fanboy Nuffles would agree with that.

ReputationRep:
    Entry level Canons are toys, I think even Canon fanboy Nuffles would agree with that.
    Indeed, but compared to 1 series bodies, the XXD range feel like toys.

Canon all the way though, have a nice feel to them, straightforward menu systems (though not the early 1 series!) and a great range of lenses.

ReputationRep:
    I hear people say this all the time, but I've never been using my 550D and worried that it's going to fall apart in my hands. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    I hear people say this all the time, but I've never been using my 550D and worried that it's going to fall apart in my hands. :confused:
    I'd have said the 1000D is the entry level camera, XXXDs are consumer, XXDs are "prosumers" and 1, 5 & 7D bodies are professional grade bodies.

The XXXDs are quite small though and I wasn't a huge fan when I was looking for my first SLR but the XXD felt much more secure.

I wouldn't touch entry level bodies myself, I don't bash my gear about but I'm pretty clumsy and it's nice to know it can take some abuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R. Murray)
    I'd have said the 1000D is the entry level camera, XXXDs are consumer, XXDs are "prosumers" and 1, 5 & 7D bodies are professional grade bodies.

The XXXDs are quite small though and I wasn't a huge fan when I was looking for my first SLR but the XXD felt much more secure.

I wouldn't touch entry level bodies myself, I don't bash my gear about but I'm pretty clumsy and it's nice to know it can take some abuse.
    True, it's not really entry level ... but I've still heard people call it a flimsy body. Can't say it feels flimsy...

They are quite small, but when you have a 12cm handspan you need small. :lol: I was looking at a 50D when deciding on a body, but I could only just fit my hands around it and, if I needed to use any of the buttons, I would have had to put it down somewhere to do it, which makes it all but useless. 550D is pretty much as big as I can get.

You found any buyers yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    True, it's not really entry level ... but I've still heard people call it a flimsy body. Can't say it feels flimsy...

They are quite small, but when you have a 12cm handspan you need small. :lol: I was looking at a 50D when deciding on a body, but I could only just fit my hands around it and, if I needed to use any of the buttons, I would have had to put it down somewhere to do it, which makes it all but useless. 550D is pretty much as big as I can get.

You found any buyers yet?
    Sadly no offers yet - but I sold my dying 1D Mk I on ebay this week and I've picked up my used 1D Mk II which is so much nicer. Was going to take a photo of the moon with it being so close - but sadly it's cloudy here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R. Murray)
    Sadly no offers yet - but I sold my dying 1D Mk I on ebay this week and I've picked up my used 1D Mk II which is so much nicer. Was going to take a photo of the moon with it being so close - but sadly it's cloudy here.

Guess what I've just spent half an hour doing? Just off the card (and cropped to avoid the endless black), but here's what you've missed:

Spoiler:
    Show

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 12, 2011
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.