company law in 2nd year Watch

renjie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
hey guys

i am a first year law student and i have to choose my modules for next year soon.
i'd like to take company law, but in the module description it says that it's not recommended for 2nd year.

i haven't had property yet, my first year modules were eu, public, contract and crim. do you think that company law can be successfully studied with no prior background in property?

and, more generally, how do you find company law? is it difficult? which subjects should one have studied before taking company law?

i'd be glad about some replies!
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The only subject you really need to have studied is contract, property is not needed.

I'd still not recommend it for 2nd years though, just because parts of it are difficult and it is technical. There are a lot of wrong answers in Company law and you have to refer to the Companies Act very closely. Technical skills take time to develop as people aren't used to using them at A-level. You also need to remember that standards differ depending on what year people take them, if its a 3rd year subject at your uni (like most) then higher standards will be expected than for a typical second year subject. That said, there's no reason why you can't take it in your second year and do well.
renjie
Rep:
?
(Original post by jacketpotato)
The only subject you really need to have studied is contract, property is not needed.

I'd still not recommend it for 2nd years though, just because parts of it are difficult and it is technical. There are a lot of wrong answers in Company law and you have to refer to the Companies Act very closely. Technical skills take time to develop as people aren't used to using them at A-level. You also need to remember that standards differ depending on what year people take them, if its a 3rd year subject at your uni (like most) then higher standards will be expected than for a typical second year subject. That said, there's no reason why you can't take it in your second year and do well.
thanks for your very informative answer!!
Carbolic Smokeball
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd second jacketpotato's post. Although I found property much harder than company but that's just me! We did property in second year and company in third year. It's interesting but difficult.
renjie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Carbolic Smokeball)
I'd second jacketpotato's post. Although I found property much harder than company but that's just me! We did property in second year and company in third year. It's interesting but difficult.
but you do agree that company law can be studied "on its own" and doesnt require any prior background in property or trusts, right?
Carbolic Smokeball
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by renjie)
but you do agree that company law can be studied "on its own" and doesnt require any prior background in property or trusts, right?
I only studied the law relating to private companies (so not plcs) but yes I'd say you could do it without prior knowledge of equity or land law.
Carbolic Smokeball
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Now I've thought about it more I think a good idea about the nature of fiduciary duties, studied under Equity and Trusts law, would be useful in order to understand the nature of directors' duties which the Companies Act makes clear are fiduciary and bring about remedies for breach of a fiduciary duty when breached.

Saying that if your university is offering Company as a second year module without asking for you to have done Equity and Trusts first then maybe this isn't as important as first looks.

It might be that you learn a bit about fiduciary duties during the Company course.

If you want to get an idea about the nature of fiduciary duties a good judgment to read is Millet's in Bristol and West Building Society v Mothew [1998] Ch 1
renjie
Rep:
?
Ok, thanks! =)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (294)
26.09%
Yes - they're famous (286)
25.38%