This discussion is closed.
Xenon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gayboy09)
Best young player? You are surely overlooking Fernando Torres, 19 years old and is also Captain of Athletico Madird and Spanish international regular. Now he IS the best up and coming player in Spain.

You made the point about:
"Generally Wenger's prodiges don't have any premiership experience, and the natural talent is there for all to see"

Can you tell me Wiltords Natural talent? He is not exactly an out and out goal scorer is he? Niether is Jeffers.
I think he could be meaning the youngsters who we've been seeing in the worthington cup, and sometimes in the FA cup and premiership.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
That was only last year when they blew it. Arsenal have also previously put together an unbeaten or winning run to win the title. Who says that we can't keep this run going?
They possibly could but from the recent past, teams which peak mid season dont always end up as the eventual winners. That goes for most sports.
DanMushMan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
i meant reyes' natural talent.
And Wiltord does have a natural talent, he's an expert at falling for the offside trap.

And to the Chelsea supporter - your buys are all flops, Arsenal capitulate at the end "too often." We talking once last year? As for Chelsea, they just generally don't play well throughout the whole season.
gayboy09
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
I think he could be meaning the youngsters who we've been seeing in the worthington cup, and sometimes in the FA cup and premiership.
At the moment it does look rosey for Arsenal, the youth team and all.
The lack of funds would definately open doors for members of the YTS, plus also Mortiz Volz who has been on loan at Fulham, and also Jermain Pennant, they are quality players.
Compare the likes of Aliadiere with Bellion, only 1 player comes out on top.
At least we at United can rely on our marketing power, and if anything goes wrong we can just buy ourselves some talent, instead of expecting our YTS to produce anyone as good as the class of '92 .
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
At the moment it does look rosey for Arsenal, the youth team and all.
The lack of funds would definately open doors for members of the YTS, plus also Mortiz Volz who has been on loan at Fulham, and also Jermain Pennant, they are quality players.
Compare the likes of Aliadiere with Bellion, only 1 player comes out on top.
At least we at United can rely on our marketing power, and if anything goes wrong we can just buy ourselves some talent, instead of expecting our YTS to produce anyone as good as the class of '92 .
Firsty, Volz has been sold.
Secondly, clearly we're financially restrained, but all the stadium funding is in place, Granada have had to pay what they owe us, and we have some money know, which is the only reason we could buy Reyes.
Aliadiere or Bellion? I know who I'd choose.
Just buy yourselves some talent? Yeh you can, thats the benefit of being a business first and a football second. The disadvantages are clear for all the see at the moment.
malledo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Even if Wenger does get it right, it would have cost him around £45 just to get it right, and that is exclusding Bergkamp and Henry.

Flops - Kanu 8 mill
Wiltord 13 mill
Jeffers 8 mill+
Reyes 15 mill +

Well done Arsene Wenger, you have always got it right.

i disagree -

Flops - Kanu was £4million to start with not 8. And how class is he, not to mention the explosive start he made. Do you remember his hat trick against chelsea.

Wiltord- Scored in almost every round of the cup last year and hes playing out of position.

I agree with jeffers being a flop as he is always bloody injured.

Finally how can you call reyes a flop the poor sod hasn't even officially signed yet. give him a chance.

I REST MY CASE
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by DanMushMan)
And to the Chelsea supporter - your buys are all flops, Arsenal capitulate at the end "too often." We talking once last year? As for Chelsea, they just generally don't play well throughout the whole season.
Er, yeh I dont actually support Chelsea. Saying that Chelsea generally dont play well throughout the season is rather stupid seen as they are practically a different team from last year so you cant make that kind of comparison.
gayboy09
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by malledo)
i disagree -

Flops - Kanu was £4million to start with not 8. And how class is he, not to mention the explosive start he made. Do you remember his hat trick against chelsea.

Wiltord- Scored in almost every round of the cup last year and hes playing out of position.

I agree with jeffers being a flop as he is always bloody injured.

Finally how can you call reyes a flop the poor sod hasn't even officially signed yet. give him a chance.

I REST MY CASE

Reyes is a potential flop. When Arsenal sign anyone, do you expect them to be a flop? Of course not. The potential is there though.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
Reyes is a potential flop. When Arsenal sign anyone, do you expect them to be a flop? Of course not. The potential is there though.
everyone's a "potential flop" Weighing the odds, there's a far better chance he'll develop into a worldclass player than become a flop, every pundit who's seen him rates him. What's spectacular is buying a worldclass player and turning them into a flop, eg Veron.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
Er, yeh I dont actually support Chelsea. Saying that Chelsea generally dont play well throughout the season is rather stupid seen as they are practically a different team from last year so you cant make that kind of comparison.
what from what you've seen of Chelsea this year gives you any indication they'll do anything? They had a boost at the beginning of the league, but nearly all their buys haven't performed as expected.
malledo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Best young player? You are surely overlooking Fernando Torres, 19 years old and is also Captain of Athletico Madird and Spanish international regular. Now he IS the best up and coming player in Spain.

You made the point about:
"Generally Wenger's prodiges don't have any premiership experience, and the natural talent is there for all to see"

Can you tell me Wiltords Natural talent? He is not exactly an out and out goal scorer is he? Niether is Jeffers.

Would you be an out and out goal scorer if you were stuck on the wing expected to provide instead of score
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
what from what you've seen of Chelsea this year gives you any indication they'll do anything? They had a boost at the beginning of the league, but nearly all their buys haven't performed as expected.
From what I've seen things started to go wrong when Duff got injured. I've seen them a few times and they were very impressive. Its pointless arguing over who will win the premiership because as you well know, being on top mid season doesnt mean you win the darn thing! Chelsea, Arsenal and Man U are the only teams which can win it. One of them will but which one remains to be seen.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
fine, but i still like arguing
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Any player can be a potential flop or a potential star!
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yahoo Translation of the page

http://tools.search.yahoo.com/langua....com/&lp=es_en

Anyway, from the stuff that made sense, yeah, maybe. But i wuoldn't be so optimistic until arsenal confirm it.
But he'll make a good signing.
I'm surprised that they can afford it with their money problems though.
And he's got 6 years left on his contract (if what i found on the net was right), so i don't think the proce will be cheap.

And i got this quote from his agent

Reyes's agent, Jesus Rodriguez: "Reyes loves Sevilla and hopes to continue here.
"He is not looking to go anywhere else either in Spain or abroad at the moment, but who knows maybe there will be a good offer for Sevilla and the situation will change.
"At the moment, as far as I know, the club have not received a new offer for him.
"I imagine that the club would not tell the player unless there was a clear deal arranged and that has not happened yet."

So maybe its just rumours, and nothing more.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Reyes seems to think it's happeneing according to BBC sport.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Reyes seems to think it's happeneing according to BBC sport.
I'm pretty sure he wouldnt put he was going to Arsenal on his website unless he was going. He must be.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iluvatar)
Yahoo Translation of the page

http://tools.search.yahoo.com/langua....com/&lp=es_en

Anyway, from the stuff that made sense, yeah, maybe. But i wuoldn't be so optimistic until arsenal confirm it.
But he'll make a good signing.
I'm surprised that they can afford it with their money problems though.
And he's got 6 years left on his contract (if what i found on the net was right), so i don't think the proce will be cheap.

And i got this quote from his agent

Reyes's agent, Jesus Rodriguez: "Reyes loves Sevilla and hopes to continue here.
"He is not looking to go anywhere else either in Spain or abroad at the moment, but who knows maybe there will be a good offer for Sevilla and the situation will change.
"At the moment, as far as I know, the club have not received a new offer for him.
"I imagine that the club would not tell the player unless there was a clear deal arranged and that has not happened yet."

So maybe its just rumours, and nothing more.
the agen'ts interview was given yesterday, and i read it during the night. An offical personal statement is pretty strong, and apparently as I type Sevilla are giving a press conference.

And no he's not cheap, but Arsenal are well run financially, and the stadium money is in place.

Still, I'm waiting for an offical Arsenal.com announcment, but his medical is tommorow (apparently)
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
the agen'ts interview was given yesterday, and i read it during the night. An offical personal statement is pretty strong, and apparently as I type Sevilla are giving a press conference.

And no he's not cheap, but Arsenal are well run financially, and the stadium money is in place.

Still, I'm waiting for an offical Arsenal.com announcment, but his medical is tommorow (apparently)
Well, according to http://www.footballtransfers.info it was given today, but anyway.
But i wasn;t saying that he wouldn't go, just that there are so many rumours around at the moment, that it's hard to say whether this has any substance to it. I admit, the website thing is fairly strong, but surely its up to the club if they well, and not the player.
DanMushMan
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iluvatar)
Well, according to http://www.footballtransfers.info it was given today, but anyway.
But i wasn;t saying that he wouldn't go, just that there are so many rumours around at the moment, that it's hard to say whether this has any substance to it. I admit, the website thing is fairly strong, but surely its up to the club if they well, and not the player.
uefa say sevilla have confirmed they have agreed to sell, and its down to a medical. this has been backed up by some "spanish" guy on an arsenal forum who was listening to the press conference (his ip is in spain at least!)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (152)
60.8%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.4%
No- I want it (70)
28%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.8%

Watched Threads