Ear rim piercing Watch

ExTraP
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi all, just had a painful moment of putting the barbell back through my ear rim piercing (it just came off after shower) and now I am slightly concerned.

I had it done back in mid Oct, so it's been 5 months now, still causing some ache every now and then, espeically when touch it or sleep on it, but other than that, nothing too worrying. However, when it came off this evening, I couldn't inititally put it back coz I couldn't see the hole, it was covered by a big bump. So I had to soak my ear in hot water to sort of open the hole again, even then I had to give it a considerable amount of force to push the bar back through the hole, it was quite painful. Now it's slight swollen and red. Also the bump is another thing that worry me, I had it before Xmas, but it was gone, now this one seem to be bigger.

Is my piercing actually infected? Should I be worried? Should I go back to the studio and have it checked out? They are quite far from home and I have a feeling they are just gonna tell me to keep soaking in sea salt water.

Is there anything I can do to make it heal quicker? I am pretty sure it's not heal becaus when I pushed the bar back, it felt it I was ripping my skin off.

Cheers
hannah_dru
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think it's infected unless you've got nasty green coloured stuff coming out of it. Is it near cartilage? You've probably irritated it by forcing the bar in.

I've got a big red crater-like lump on the back of my fourth hole right now which I'm putting savlon on and it seems to be healing a bit. If you're worried, I'd have yours checked out though. I was gonna ask at the doctor just to see if they think mine needs taking out to heal.
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's a friction lump - or granuloma as they're also known - which are normal and usually 'expected' when it comes to cartilage piercings.

Soak it in salt water morning and night and don't touch it other than to soak it. 1/4 of a teaspoon of sea salt in a mug of boiled water so it's as hot as you can stand it, without burning the skin. The lump should dissipate in time. It's not an infection, so there's nothing to worry about
ellakrystina
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Go back to the parlour you got it pierced at (or any parlour really) to get a reliable opinon on what it is. Don't go to a doctor, they'll just tell you to take it out!
11random
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ellakrystina)
Go back to the parlour you got it pierced at (or any parlour really) to get a reliable opinon on what it is. Don't go to a doctor, they'll just tell you to take it out!
Not necessarily, I went to the GP with an infected piercing and didn't have to take it out, I was just prescribed a course of antibiotics and told to keep washing it in some kind of antiseptic solution like Savalon etc .. And now its all healed up and fine
ExTraP
Rep:
?
Cheers guys, I went back to the studio today and was told exactly what I thought they would say, soak it in sea salt water. I have to admit I had stopped cleaning it coz it's been 5 months and thought it was gonna be ok, obviously I thought wrong... Just bought some nice sea salt to give my ear a 1st class treatment... My mum has used all I have left at home for cooking... ;-)
11random
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ExTraP)
Cheers guys, I went back to the studio today and was told exactly what I thought they would say, soak it in sea salt water. I have to admit I had stopped cleaning it coz it's been 5 months and thought it was gonna be ok, obviously I thought wrong... Just bought some nice sea salt to give my ear a 1st class treatment... My mum has used all I have left at home for cooking... ;-)
Get some savlon spray stuff from a pharmacy, its easier to use and apply. not really expensive and you can constantly spray it on throughout the day to make sure it won't get infected.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by 11random)
Get some savlon spray stuff from a pharmacy, its easier to use and apply. not really expensive and you can constantly spray it on throughout the day to make sure it won't get infected.
Savlon spray is too harsh. This is a bad idea
HannahUVM
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Chamomile tea is meant to be a good anti-inflammatory and if you make your own sea salt soaks then just stick a natural chamomile tea bag in there with it. Or you can use the hot teabag as a compress. It's worked for me before.
kerily
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I swear by TCP for piercings. It stings quite a bit and stinks of antiseptic, but it also clears up anything that might conceivably have been alive.
HannahUVM
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Things like TCP and Savlon are way too harsh for healing piercings. They actually retard the healing process. Anyway, not all bacteria are bad and infections are pretty rare. The bump is likely due to irritation so put the least irritating things on it possible. How long is your barbell? You might find that if it's a little too long then it is the cause of the problem. With my lip if I go from a 9mm to a 10mm labret I get a massive bump within days from the extra movement.
ExTraP
Rep:
?
I am just sticking with sea salt water nothing esle for now. It doesn't hurt anymore now so it was probably just due to the force when I pushed the bar back the other night.

I don't know how long my barbell is to be hoenst, if I push it all the way up (the piercing is on top of my ear rim vertically) I can see maybe 1mm space, so maybe it's a bit too long. The guys at the studio told me to go back to change to a shorter one once the bump and swelling is gone (swelling? where did he the swelling? my ear rim is just thick and in a slight weird shape).

I think I will give it a week or so to see what will happen.
11random
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
Savlon spray is too harsh. This is a bad idea
I was advised it from my GP and pharmacist... If you look to the post above I said this. :rolleyes:

Also why is savlon too harsh ? The other antiseptic they said was an iodine based one however the downside is that it can stain clothes and skin so they recommended the savlon spray... :rolleyes:
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was advised it from my GP and pharmacist... If you look to the post above I said this. :rolleyes:

Also why is savlon too harsh ? The other antiseptic they said was an iodine based one however the downside is that it can stain clothes and skin so they recommended the savlon spray... :rolleyes:
Your GP and pharmacist are not piercers, and thus won't really know much about piercings. You'd don't actually need any antiseptic anything. You also don't need to use it constantly - that will be overcleaning, which is bad.
Cybele
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You should only use antiseptic/savlon if your piercing has already healed, and there's a definite infection.

It's not that's they're too 'harsh' - they're meant to be used on open wounds - but they can slow down healing significantly.
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i personally recommend the LITFA method of piercing aftercare.

i only ever really intervene with the odd sea salt compress if it's looking really unhappy, or i've managed to get dirt in it.
11random
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
Your GP and pharmacist are not piercers, and thus won't really know much about piercings. You'd don't actually need any antiseptic anything. You also don't need to use it constantly - that will be overcleaning, which is bad.
Forgive me If I value their opinion over yours, and for some background information I went to piercer first, they were the ones who advised me to go to the GP as it looked infected. Now GP's and Pharmacists may not know about the piercing process do know about infection, and the healing of cuts and piercings cleaning piercings etc

The use of it constantly is following the instructions that came with the medical product, so again I will take what that says over you.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Forgive me If I value their opinion over yours, and for some background information I went to piercer first, they were the ones who advised me to go to the GP as it looked infected. Now GP's and Pharmacists may not know about the piercing process do know about infection, and the healing of cuts and piercings cleaning piercings etc

The use of it constantly is following the instructions that came with the medical product, so again I will take what that says over you.
So you're arrogant as well as ignorant
11random
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
So you're arrogant as well as ignorant
If it is arrogant and ignorant to state what happened in my experiences, then yes I am :cool:
imogo_puff
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ExTraP)
Hi all, just had a painful moment of putting the barbell back through my ear rim piercing (it just came off after shower) and now I am slightly concerned.

I had it done back in mid Oct, so it's been 5 months now, still causing some ache every now and then, espeically when touch it or sleep on it, but other than that, nothing too worrying. However, when it came off this evening, I couldn't inititally put it back coz I couldn't see the hole, it was covered by a big bump. So I had to soak my ear in hot water to sort of open the hole again, even then I had to give it a considerable amount of force to push the bar back through the hole, it was quite painful. Now it's slight swollen and red. Also the bump is another thing that worry me, I had it before Xmas, but it was gone, now this one seem to be bigger.

Is my piercing actually infected? Should I be worried? Should I go back to the studio and have it checked out? They are quite far from home and I have a feeling they are just gonna tell me to keep soaking in sea salt water.

Is there anything I can do to make it heal quicker? I am pretty sure it's not heal becaus when I pushed the bar back, it felt it I was ripping my skin off.

Cheers
Gosh man, don't worry about it, could have been a full amputation jobbie, if you'll pardon the pun.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (233)
27.51%
No (614)
72.49%

Watched Threads