Which Computer? Watch

LouboutinLove
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So basically, I have it down to two computers which I really like. They are pretty similar price wise (obviously the 1st one is more expensive but includes a monitor, I'd buy it separately for the 2nd one) but the specifications are very different - hence why I'm having difficulty choosing! It'd be used for light gaming and a bit of photo editing but nothing major besides that. They both include a keyboard/mouse and a wireless networking card, and blu-ray doesn't hugely bother me since I have a PS3. Please help!

Computer 1 - £833

25" Hanns.G Monitor
Intel Core i5 760 Processor 2.8GHz
Radeon HD6850 1GB Graphics Card
4GB Memory
Blu Ray Combi Drive
1000GB Hard Disk

Computer 2 - £721

Intel Core i7 2600 3.4GHz
Radeon HD5770 1GB Graphics Card
6GB Memory
1000GB Hard Disk
Repressor
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The 2600 should beat the 760 in pretty much every benchmark going. The 5770 and the 6850 are probably comparable and are okay for gaming at low resolutions/medium settings.
LouboutinLove
Rep:
?
Thanks - I'm leaning towards the 2nd one I think. I don't play any mega 3D gaming, just stuff like Sims 3 and other basic simulation games. After a bit of googling I think the HD5770 will do all I need!
zxh800
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Repressor)
The 2600 should beat the 760 in pretty much every benchmark going. The 5770 and the 6850 are probably comparable and are okay for gaming at low resolutions/medium settings.
I never knew those cards were that bad :curious: What games are we talking about? What kind of res. do you mean by "low" btw.
somebody else
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by zxh800)
I never knew those cards were that bad :curious: What games are we talking about? What kind of res. do you mean by "low" btw.
The cards aren't bad, but if you want to play some of the more graphically demanding games at high resolutions (1920x1080+), then a 6850 is getting near to the minimum you'd need. It'll just about run something like Battlefield Bad Company 2 at high settings at that resolution... for a lot of popular games (eg. WOW, Starcraft II, all the CODs) you could use a much less powerful graphics card though.
zxh800
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by somebody else)
The cards aren't bad, but if you want to play some of the more graphically demanding games at high resolutions (1920x1080+), then a 6850 is getting near to the minimum you'd need. It'll just about run something like Battlefield Bad Company 2 at high settings at that resolution... for a lot of popular games (eg. WOW, Starcraft II, all the CODs) you could use a much less powerful graphics card though.
Do you think I could max out/get relatively high settings at 1440x900? (planning on getting that card)
somebody else
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by zxh800)
Do you think I could max out/get relatively high settings at 1440x900? (planning on getting that card)
A 6850 should be more than good enough, and a 5770 would be fine for most games. Most reviews will have benchmarks at 1680x1050, which is about 36% more than 1440x900, so realistically anything that gets 30FPS+ at 1680x1050 should be good for 1440x900. Have a look at some reviews (check Bit-Tech, Anandtech and Tom's Hardware, for a start).
AveUgotaWkdSide
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Surely a mac has to be considered!
LouboutinLove
Rep:
?
(Original post by AveUgotaWkdSide)
Already have a macbook, iPad and iPhone! But I think a Windows desktop is definitely the way to go, I don't mind Windows 7 and it is undoubtedly cheaper than buying an iMac which I initially considered.
GavinHinton
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
which mac comes with an i7 1tb hdd and passable graphics card for 700quid?
Mrfantastic
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd go with the second system, but why does it have 6GB of RAM? Sandybridge processors(like the i7 2600k) don't support triple channel memory.
AveUgotaWkdSide
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by GavinHinton)
which mac comes with an i7 1tb hdd and passable graphics card for 700quid?
Might not be as cheap, but I am sure it will run just as fast and last longer
GavinHinton
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Might not be as cheap, but I am sure it will run just as fast and last longer
yeah it will be just as fast. and last exactly the same amount of time. not sure where you got your information on it lasting longer? Paying 3 times what a product is worth just isnt in my constitution
Lylat
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Second.
Also, whoever mentioned mac's, Mac's aren't value for money when it comes down to hardware specs. You are paying for the brand.
geekay1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by *k.a.t.e*)
So basically, I have it down to two computers which I really like. They are pretty similar price wise (obviously the 1st one is more expensive but includes a monitor, I'd buy it separately for the 2nd one) but the specifications are very different - hence why I'm having difficulty choosing! It'd be used for light gaming and a bit of photo editing but nothing major besides that. They both include a keyboard/mouse and a wireless networking card, and blu-ray doesn't hugely bother me since I have a PS3. Please help!

Computer 1 - £833

25" Hanns.G Monitor
Intel Core i5 760 Processor 2.8GHz
Radeon HD6850 1GB Graphics Card
4GB Memory
Blu Ray Combi Drive
1000GB Hard Disk

Computer 2 - £721

Intel Core i7 2600 3.4GHz
Radeon HD5770 1GB Graphics Card
6GB Memory
1000GB Hard Disk
just out of curiosity if all you want is light gaming and photo editing why hi spec comps my compaq which i got about a year ago has to deal with constant video editing light gaming alot of video use for watching stuff like the simpsons as i use my tv as a monitor saves putting stuff on usb to play on ps3 lol but yeah that costs me 450 and is defo enough 4 gb ram 500gb hard drive
GavinHinton
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by geekay1)
just out of curiosity if all you want is light gaming and photo editing why hi spec comps my compaq which i got about a year ago has to deal with constant video editing light gaming alot of video use for watching stuff like the simpsons as i use my tv as a monitor saves putting stuff on usb to play on ps3 lol but yeah that costs me 450 and is defo enough 4 gb ram 500gb hard drive
If its the 2nd build youre talking about. That processor supports ddr3 Tri-Channel so its kinda standard even though more than 4gb (3.25gb to be anal) isnt supported by 32-bit OS youre not going to lose performance but gain nothing.
geekay1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If its the 2nd build youre talking about. That processor supports ddr3 Tri-Channel so its kinda standard even though more than 4gb (3.25gb to be anal) isnt supported by 32-bit OS youre not going to lose performance but gain nothing.

not sure but it runs fine and seems to cope with everything i chuck at it i do try to look after it though i love my baby
GavinHinton
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yeah 4gb is pretty much enough for gaming or anything "normal" if you want to be rendering things in 3dsmax then get more
geekay1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yeah 4gb is pretty much enough for gaming or anything "normal" if you want to be rendering things in 3dsmax then get more
yeah i did use to complain about rendering a bit

but then loool

i went on holiday to my nans decided to do a bit of editing on her netbook took me 45 mins to render a 50 second vid i shal never complain again lol
IcEmAn911
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yeah it will be just as fast. and last exactly the same amount of time. not sure where you got your information on it lasting longer? Paying 3 times what a product is worth just isnt in my constitution
But imagine the amount of bragging rights which you can have with an i product
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (230)
27.64%
No (602)
72.36%

Watched Threads