Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The question is "chlorine reacts readily with ethane in the dark but does not react with methane unless sunlight or another source of ultra violet light is present"

state and describe, with the aid of suitable equations
    -the mechanism of the reaction between chlorine and methane (i understand this)
    -the mechanism of the reaction between chlorine and ethane (i understand this)
    -the type of fission that the Cl-Cl bond undergoes (i understand this)

my question is why does chlorine not react methane unless the catalyst is present? but does so for ethane when the catalyst is not present? as both molecules are non polar..is it to do with electron density in methane? HELP!
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by hockeyjoe)
    The question is "chlorine reacts readily with ethane in the dark but does not react with methane unless sunlight or another source of ultra violet light is present"

my question is why does chlorine not react methane unless the catalyst is present? but does so for ethane when the catalyst is not present? as both molecules are non polar..is it to do with electron density in methane? HELP!
    You have got the question wrong.

It should be ethene, not ethane

ReputationRep:
    oh right, so the answer would be because of the high electron density on ethene's double bond, and methane is non polar and stable? so it needs a catalyst?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    oh right, so the answer would be because of the high electron density on ethene's double bond, and methane is non polar and stable? so it needs a catalyst?
    More or less ...

Chlorine is dissociated by UV light into Cl. free radicals which are very reactive. They can react with alkanes via a FR mechanism which does not require polarity or go via ionic intermediates.

Alkenes double bond is a region of high electron density that can be a focus for electrophilic attack by polar molecules (or molecules in which polarity can be induced)

ReputationRep:

I don't understand this question at all...a little help please?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by imadeyouacookie)
    I don't understand this question at all...a little help please?
    Be more specific...

What exactly do yo not understand?

The fact that chlorine does not react with alkanes in the dark, but yes, with UV light?

The fact that chlorine reacts with alkenes under most conditions?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 23, 2013

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.