Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

just wondering if I could have your opinions regarding two internship offers.

The HR in Lloyds Banking seems be rather shaky compared to KPMG, but its a tough call. I know quite little about Audit, but then again, not much about general management in Banking.

There is virtually no real information regarding the intricacies of Lloyds Banking GM scheme.

Do you know the long term salary and career prospects of banking (I know the LBG does not have a investment banking sector), so its probably less.

Thanks.

Johnny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnny Luk)
    Hey guys,

just wondering if I could have your opinions regarding two internship offers.

The HR in Lloyds Banking seems be rather shaky compared to KPMG, but its a tough call. I know quite little about Audit, but then again, not much about general management in Banking.

There is virtually no real information regarding the intricacies of Lloyds Banking GM scheme.

Do you know the long term salary and career prospects of banking (I know the LBG does not have a investment banking sector), so its probably less.

Thanks.

Johnny
    KPMG audit will be better choice.... you get the ACA and three years of solid work experience..... after you complete your ACA you can either stay at KPMG or move to other careers in banking.... pick KPMG over Lloyds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibd_haunter)
    KPMG audit will be better choice.... you get the ACA and three years of solid work experience..... after you complete your ACA you can either stay at KPMG or move to other careers in banking.... pick KPMG over Lloyds
    Thanks for your advice.

Do you reckon there is scope to move after the internship? Because I don't think I want to stay with my parents after I graduate (love them but need the independence).

Also the mean salary is probably lower for KPMG over Lloyds Banking Group, but I agree I guess when I qualify I can move career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibd_haunter)
    would be tough to go through the entire ACA and get 3 years worth of work experience during an internship tho

ReputationRep:
    well it depends on what area of banking you want! An ACA qualification is always impressive, but not a requirement for someone working in Trading. However, ACA would definately land you a job in the Finance section in a bank. Most likely from either internship if you are reasonably good (which I assume you to be since you have 2 offers) that you will be asked to join the graduate programme. But do you have one more year in college left? You dont have to decide your future right now if you do!

If you are going to reject lloyds, then you'd be be better off outright asking what exactly you'd be doing before you say no - nothing to lose Audit isn't a very interesting job (well most people think so), but has huge scope for travel and moving to other companies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KLL)
    would be tough to go through the entire ACA and get 3 years worth of work experience during an internship tho
    tough but not impossible!!!

Sorry mate, I forgot that this was for an internship......
    In this case, I would follow Lorchii's advise....... find out what Lloyds is all about... just call them and say that you have multiple offers and would like to understand the Lloyds role better before you make your decision.... they should help..... if they dont help, then it's not worth going to a company which doesn't help.......

also depends on your future career plan..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lorchii)
    well it depends on what area of banking you want! An ACA qualification is always impressive, but not a requirement for someone working in Trading. However, ACA would definately land you a job in the Finance section in a bank. Most likely from either internship if you are reasonably good (which I assume you to be since you have 2 offers) that you will be asked to join the graduate programme. But do you have one more year in college left? You dont have to decide your future right now if you do!

If you are going to reject lloyds, then you'd be be better off outright asking what exactly you'd be doing before you say no - nothing to lose Audit isn't a very interesting job (well most people think so), but has huge scope for travel and moving to other companies!
    Thanks guys, good advice.

The Lloyds Banking Group HR are quite hard to get hold off, but yeah I guess with KPMG, I can always transfer if/when I qualify. Also KPMG retention after internship is higher.

Yeah I do have one more year, so I guess its not like a super commitment, but obviously it would be nice know that I got a job afterwards and just focus on studying and doing the things I love before I commit myself to hopefully a long term career.

My main priority is just a good career, travel opportunities and taking up responsibility.

This is going to a tough one to decide, but I will call them definitely. No doubt you guys have offers yourself, but if not, I am happy to help =)

ReputationRep:
    Any other peoples thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I would choose KPMG

ReputationRep:
    thanks Frontier, its a tough decision, but it sounds like people are saying KPMG is the better organisation in the long term! As long as I don't fail those exams!!!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.