Should Canabis be legalised??? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Ryoku
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jonatan)
1, Regarding the legal Issue: Alcohol is legal and we see that the use has dimnished to almost nothing.... errr NOT!

2, As for people doing hard drugs still having their Jobs, You dont know much about the mental long run effects of Heroin and Cocaine do you? They both give rise to insanity, and Heroin is one of the most socially devestating drugs one know about. Do you take economics? Ever heard of a little concept known as a negative externality?
ok, so i don't know everything about cocaine or heroin, but alcohol has always been a social drug, and drinking is almost a way of conforming, unless your under age. You can hardly draw a parallel with the evils of alcohol with hard drugs. In the end, im saying that all life should have the right to choose their future. If it harms none, do as you please.
Homegrownkitten
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In response to a few comments above:

Canabis should be legalised, but probably not for smoking, as canabis smokers hold on to a drag four times longer than cigarette smokers and are more prone to lung problems.

The class C drugs include performance enhancing steroids, which are illegal as canabis is.

I heard through the grapevine that if alcohol were to be made an illegal drug they would have to invent a new category for it, something like A+++ as it is worse than the current class A drugs (ie v. addictive, detremental to health etc) .
Ryoku
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Homegrownkitten)
I heard through the grapevine that if alcohol were to be made an illegal drug they would have to invent a new category for it, something like A+++ as it is worse than the current class A drugs (ie v. addictive, detremental to health etc) .
lol, but it's social, and the government has made loads of money due to taxes. It wont be made illegal, as the govenment would get overthrown instantly.
Jonatan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ryoku)
ok, so i don't know everything about cocaine or heroin, but alcohol has always been a social drug, and drinking is almost a way of conforming, unless your under age. You can hardly draw a parallel with the evils of alcohol with hard drugs. In the end, im saying that all life should have the right to choose their future. If it harms none, do as you please.
The problem is that cannabis is NOT harmless. The abuse cost a great deal of resources and since hospitals are financed by the government in most European countries, eventually the taxpayers are the ones who have to pay. Furthermore, it is not as easy as saying that people should have the right to chose themselves. How many teenagers do not start smoking despite knowing that it is bad for them? Do you think they all realise the consequences? Legalising cannabis is directly irresponsible as you then expose a large part of the population to a drug which is harmfull. You neglect the fact that legalising cannabis sends very strong signals to the population. If you legalise the drug you are saying that it is ok to smoke cannabis. Given the number of people who currently are subjected to damage due to the few drugs that are legal (mainly Alcohol & Nicotin ) do we want more such substances on the market? Furthermore, drug abuse does affect other people than those who abuse the drug. Family members and friends may suffer as a result of one persons drug abuse. Given that Cannabis is known to trigger Schizofrenia it is simply not true that cannabis does not harm other people.

It would be a huge scandal and lawsuits if it turned out that the artificial sweeteners in diet coke increased the cancer risk with 0.01% , but still people want to legalise a drug known to distrupt the hormon cycle of wommen. I must say that the inconsistency in public opinion is daunting.
material breach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well put Howard, it is easy to argue that cannabis should be legalised due to the fact it isnt as bad as alcohol (where or not that is true is another issue) but that isnt an arguement for making legal.
Jonatan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
Well put Howard, it is easy to argue that cannabis should be legalised due to the fact it isnt as bad as alcohol (where or not that is true is another issue) but that isnt an arguement for making legal.
Who is Howard ?
material breach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Who is Howard ?
lol very sorry! was typing from memory and thought that was who had made the post! will rep make up for it?
Jonatan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
lol very sorry! was typing from memory and thought that was who had made the post! will rep make up for it?
LOL. No its alright. I am glad to see that about 1/3 of the people here still oppose a legalisation. My best bet would have been 15% or so...
Pearly
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by The_Barman)
Okay this has been a problem for a while now. For years people keep saying to legalise hash but it never happens. Now its being declassed to a class C which i think is there with paracetemol...not to sure bout that. So that the police dont have to waste anymore time with it. Do you think they should just legalise it and then put tax on it like ****. They would get so much money for it, not to mention it would help all the ppl using it for health reasons.

What do you think....YES or NO???
Yeah, they should be legal
Tribi18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pearly)
Yeah, they should be legal
why?
I can't believe most people would want it legalised! But most ppl on here r like at uni or students sumwhere and most ppl smoke dope there.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tribi18)
why?
I can't believe most people would want it legalised! But most ppl on here r like at uni or students sumwhere and most ppl smoke dope there.
I don't smoke dope. I think it should be legalised though.
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Some questions are better left to the experts than to public opinion.
experts have ivestigated the effects of cannabis, there was a full scale government investigation into cannabis during thatcher's reign with the object of getting cannabis discredited enough to illegalise it. When the report was released it was suppressed by the government because it did not give the results they wished, i.e. it did not label cannabis as dangerous, and it did not advocate its illegality.

since that time, more research has been done and there is still no conclusive proof of long term ill effects if used moderately by people with no prior dispositions to serious mental disorders (about 99.99% of the population).

after conducting my own research into the plant I found the following things:

cannabis has been used as far back in history as the ancient egyptians and by such notable people as shakespeare.

legalisation would not overtly affect the number of people taking cannabis as in many places in britain at least, you can order it delivered to your door faster than a pizza.

increased cannabis production would be instrumental in rebuilding countries like Iraq, where the climate is right for the plant. The resin would sell for high prices, and as all the plant can be used (for fibres in clothes/paper etc. and for fuel) it would be a good cash crop for impoverished farmers who grow it already.

although smoking cannabis can have detrimental effects on your lungs, eating or inhaleing its vapours does not and is much more healthy than tobacco or alchohol.

soz, I did my english oral exam speech on why we shoul legalise cannabis. here are just a few of the many points.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, here's my ten cents worth.

Maybe it should, maybe not. It's not something I've often considered, only having rarely indulged personally. However, its reputation purely as a benign drug with medicinal properties for MS sufferers is becoming more and more discredited, particularly where used by adolescents.

Links have been made between marijuana use and the onset of schizophrenia before but, new research (February 2003) suggests something quite worrying for all young cannabis users.

Dr Martin Cohen at the Hunter Medical Research Institute in Newcastle is comparing the functioning brain of cannabis users and schizophrenia sufferers with a control group, and alarmingly the brains of young heavy dope smokers are actually functioning more like the brain of a schizophrenic.

Now, I don't know if it should be banned. I'm all for liberty and freedom to choose and I hate the idea of governments interferring and telling folks what they can and cannot do. However, if Dr.Cohen is right, should we allow young people's brains to become schizophrenic? I wouldn't think that the introduction of "voices" into one's mind was an awfully promising start in life.

Source: "Catalyist" Dr Martin Cohen Psychology Dept Hunter Medical Research Institute New Lambton Newcastle NSW Australia.
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
aye, but these are young brains. as when young people drink, it harms their livers more than older people. so if cannabis was legalised, there should be an age limit e.g. over 18
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by riffraff)
experts have ivestigated the effects of cannabis, there was a full scale government investigation into cannabis during thatcher's reign with the object of getting cannabis discredited enough to illegalise it. When the report was released it was suppressed by the government because it did not give the results they wished, i.e. it did not label cannabis as dangerous, and it did not advocate its illegality.

since that time, more research has been done and there is still no conclusive proof of long term ill effects if used moderately by people with no prior dispositions to serious mental disorders (about 99.99% of the population).

cannabis has been used as far back in history as the ancient egyptians and by such notable people as shakespeare.

legalisation would not overtly affect the number of people taking cannabis as in many places in britain at least, you can order it delivered to your door faster than a pizza.

increased cannabis production would be instrumental in rebuilding countries like Iraq, where the climate is right for the plant. The resin would sell for high prices, and as all the plant can be used (for fibres in clothes/paper etc. and for fuel) it would be a good cash crop for impoverished farmers who grow it already.

although smoking cannabis can have detrimental effects on your lungs, eating or inhaleing its vapours does not and is much more healthy than tobacco or alchohol.

soz, I did my english oral exam speech on why we shoul legalise cannabis. here are just a few of the many points.
I think this is a conspiracy theory. If as you say the Thatcher government undertook a study on it's effects, and found it to be benign, why wouldn't they have legalized it?

I've never known a government to turn away opportunities for new sources of taxation and I'd have though they'd have jumped at the chance to get it in tobacco shops as quickly as possible.

Can you provide some verifiable sources to support you story please?
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
aye, but these are young brains. as when young people drink, it harms their livers more than older people. so if cannabis was legalised, there should be an age limit e.g. over 18
Well, as I said, I'm not for or against legality. I'm of "two minds".......erm....oh dear.......it's starting......
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
I think this is a conspiracy theory. If as you say the Thatcher government undertook a study on it's effects, and found it to be benign, why wouldn't they have legalized it?

I've never known a government to turn away opportunities for new sources of taxation and I'd have though they'd have jumped at the chance to get it in tobacco shops as quickly as possible.

Can you provide some verifiable sources to support you story please?
at the time, there was a lot of media hype about how cannabis causes mental problems, although this has now been found to be untrue (see http://www.drugscope.org.uk/druginfo...Ccannabis.html about 2 thirds of the way down)

thats all I got at the mo. will find report thing l8r
Jonatan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

This is simply not true. If you go to the WHO website http://www.who.org and make a search for "cannabis" you should be able to find plenty of information regarding the harmful effects.

Two examples:
http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/1997/WHO_MSA_PSA_97.4.pdf
http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/f.../en/print.html

Also regarding supression by the government and political pressure , the WHO makes a statement about that as well:

http://www.who.int/inf-pr-1998/en/pr98-26.html
serious narb
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i agree with legalising canabis

imo it can be good fun and relaxing to smoke it socialy every now and then
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sillynarb2)
i agree with legalising canabis

imo it can be good fun and relaxing to smoke it socialy every now and then
aye
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (473)
59.35%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.4%
No- I want it (228)
28.61%
No- I don't want it (53)
6.65%

Watched Threads